System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update: Kerry and I went to listen to the KEF LS50's a couple months back at a local KEF dealer. KEF 104/2 was my choice back in 1988 until I heard ML's and that changed things forever for me, so I know the KEF sound and love it. LS50's weren't for me. Too cold and analytical. Paired with a sub, they might be good.... also listened to the KEF R300's while there and immediately thought they would be perfect. Went home and did lots of research, read lots of reviews and started looking at center channel and subs... Decided the easy way to go would be the R300's, R400B sub and R600C center channel, as they are all mated to each other. Decision made. Next decision: what finish.. Gloss black, Rosewood, Walnut or Gloss White. It was a toss up between Rosewood and Gloss white, and we chose gloss white.

Placed an order and the sub and center came a few weeks ago... the R300's are being delivered TODAY, so I'm pretty excited. Also bought a pair of Custom Design FS104 Signature stands for them, which match the rest of the audio furniture quite well.

Sold off the Summits, Cinema, X5, X250 and dbx 4bx range expander. Once the R300's are broken in, I'll re-run the room correction in the anthem processor and then starting doing some serious listening and A/B testing between the Squeezebox/DAC and playing music files from a USB drive attached to the Oppo 105D.

It's been bittersweet, to be honest... massive changes for me. Also upgraded my NAS to a Synology DS 1515+ with 5 3TB drives. Will begin ripping DVD's and BluRays soon.

Pics will follow in a few days.

Just got home. Set them up and configured them in the Anthem. Set the x-over for the sub at 50 hz and am sitting in the sweet spot. Put on my "go to" playlist and my jaw is on the floor. WOW. They are about 3 feet from the back wall, 7.5 feet apart from each other.

Not even broken in and they sound awesome!!

Last edited:
Great news Tom, but ..................I'm feeling like the 'last man standing' , both you and Tim have left the 'Mother Ship' !!

R300_1.jpgR300_2.jpgR300_3.jpg

And we both went to KEF. hmmm. Great minds think alike ?

Last edited:
Very nice but ...........I still see the spike marks from your Logans !!

Congrats TOM!

But I gotta say the same thing you said to me.... they're not stats, but it'll do my friend. :devil::devil:

Yeah. The Kefs are starting to open up a little more. Will play them all weekend so they will be fully broken in soon. Still, they don't have that open ML sound. Sigh.

Ran the anthem room correction last weekend and that made a difference.. Imaging is a little more focused... they don't disappear like my Summits did... Will still play around with positioning a little and see if I can't get to that point...

Summits?

Tom: Looking at your pictures with the new speakers it looks like u could have kept your summits! Why the change? I was under the impression u went smaller because u were going to retire soon! But in one of your replys u said u were not going to yet! Are u going to move? Good luck on trying to get what u had before in sound.

Just listened to KEF Reference 5 (excellent!), R900 and LS50, very nice concept and good line of products.

thanks... You are very correct - cones have come a long way and I'm really enjoying the KEFs... not really missing the Summits at all.

thanks... You are very correct - cones have come a long way and I'm really enjoying the KEFs... not really missing the Summits at all.
Have u every had a chance to listen to Martin Logan top of the line book shelfs speakers? Compared to your present speakers?

Back