System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Torchwood makes it to Canada? Cool... seen the 5 part "456" one yet? Pretty good. Great in HD too.

I guess you must get Dr Who as well. Such a shame it is not in HD. Can't fathom that one...

Yep, we get Torchwood (in hi def) courtesy of HDNet. No ads, either! In this particular viewing, we're only a few episodes into Season 2. But given that an episode is broadcast every weeknight, it won't be long before we catch up! Alas, I missed the first few episodes, but no worries: it'll be repeated soon enough. (We don't have TV license fees over here, so repeates don't carry the stigma they do in the UK.)

We also get Dr. Who, which I watch avidly. It's only once per week and I've missed a few previous episodes. We're just watched the episode with the Atmos cars. But this season too is a repeat, most of which I've seen. "The Doctor's Daughter" is the next episode. Now there's a hot guest star!

It's a very nice unit indeed, Tom.
Love my Oppo BDP-83:rocker:
Seems to be pretty solid and I love the fact that it plays ".mkv" files. One of the few negatives I find with this player is it only supports FAT and NTFS files systems, maybe they'll add unix in a future firmware update but I won't hold my breath.

Nice system, Prez....

... reminds me somewhat of my previous system.

Hehehe.

And you got the PS Audio Dig Link III? I had that as well.

If you want to hear a sonic upgrade - see if you can pick up a used Cary Audio 306/200 CDP. It has the ability to utilize the DACs so you can plug your SB3 to it.

And let me tell you. I've A/B'd the Cary vs the DLink III..... no contest.

And keep in mind that we have the same speakers from before so it's gotta be your next move.

DTom - assumably the system has changed t'ill now (since) What to say about; these electronics and plants do harmonize !! Music transforms through the air and flows around, it does and it's obvious to the eye of the listener :meditate: Just like it - give me an ear full! ML rules

that's a cool thing! enjoy every moment with this beautiful system, the musical-input will vari for sure in time. Water the plants!

Well, the X250 has been sold and I removed it from the system and am now using the Pass X5 to drive the Summits. It's liveable. Definitely not as rich and detailed as the X250, but we are slowly downsizing our household in preparation for retirement... Our house in Palm Springs is small, and my hi-fi system will need to be MUCH smaller... The Summits will eventually be sold off too. and perhaps the Cinema... It could be the end of my relationship with ML electrostats... Will have to give a listen to the motion line when I'm ready.

Tom, approx how big (small) will your new listening environment be ?

it's a very strange space. I'm not sure of the measurements... here are a couple pictures.

my plan is to mount the TV above the fireplace and have a shelf there for a center speaker.. then have my mains on each side of the fireplace... surrounds are already up near the ceiling. I'll get a rack to put the equipment to the left of the fireplace in the corner. marber1.jpgmarber2.jpg

the big problem is that wall with the opening in it, and of course the hard surfaces all over... not an ideal place for dipoles, IMHO

Interesting Tom, assuming the furniture layout will remain the same I concur, L/R on either side of the hearth. From the pics is does look like a fair amount of toe-in will be required……….. I still wouldn't give up on the use of electrostatics though. Acoustic treatments will probably be in order.

It seems to me, Tom, that electrostatics may still be in your future. I could see a nice pair of EFXs in your living room. Matched with an ML sub, I don't think you'll be losing much in the way of sound quality.

Hmmm... didn't think of that... would have to take a listen to those... although I'm really more interested in the motion line. I want something that has a broader sweet spot and isn't so placement critical.... Also, because our place is in the desert, using as little electricity as possible is another goal. I'm thinking Class D amp here.

Last edited:
I've not heard the Motion line but the AMTs in my little M&Ds and excellent WAY OFF axis. Really.

That place looks great Tom. Swimming pool too! Enjoy.

Hmmm... didn't think of that... would have to take a listen to those... although I'm really more interested in the motion line. I want something that has a broader sweet spot and isn't so placement critical.... Also, because our place is in the desert, using as little electricity as possible is another goal. I'm thinking Class D amp here.

The MiniDSP PwrICE 250 Class D plate amps power my Vistas exceptionally well. Lots of headroom and room correction if that's your thing. They use the latest and greatest IcePower modules (ASX2 I think), which have Ken's approval (goes a long way with me). I highly recommend them. Great value; only 375.00 each.

The MiniDSP PwrICE 250 Class D plate amps power my Vistas exceptionally well. Lots of headroom and room correction if that's your thing. They use the latest and greatest IcePower modules (ASX2 I think), which have Ken's approval (goes a long way with me). I highly recommend them. Great value; only 375.00 each.
Alas, they have zero audiophile street cred, which is a par for the course.

As of tomorrow, Julian, I'll be running my tri-amped stereo pair with a six channel Wyred ICE amp simply because I'm tired of turning four different amps on and off every freaking time I use the system. Will it sound any different? I suspect not.

Alas, they have zero audiophile street cred, which is a par for the course.

As of tomorrow, Julian, I'll be running my tri-amped stereo pair with a six channel Wyred ICE amp simply because I'm tired of turning four different amps on and off every freaking time I use the system. Will it sound any different? I suspect not.

Whilst my current 30 valve/tube system is a treat in the colder months, chucking away 75% of the input power in the form of heat doesn't work so well in the hotter ones.

So I might be in the market for a high power/low cost class D solution power amp wise. Give us some more detailed f/b on them, Ken when you can?

Latest posts

Back