System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, Sweet setup. :bowdown:

The looks is very cohesive, excellent results there. :cool:

Moved the amp

I got my 3 meter interconnects in the mail this week, so this morning I moved the amp into the left corner. Of course now my power cable for the amp won't reach, so I got it plugged into an extension cord (for now).

This allowed me to move the left speaker a little more to the left and this sounds a little better to my ears.

Still have to put my fake ficas behind the right speaker and my other plants behind the left one....

also.. got some "anti-jumpers" and put them on the Summits... not sure I can tell any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_5511 (Large).JPG
    IMG_5511 (Large).JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 663
got my plants moved back into the room and updated my main photo.. Still wondering if moving the rack over to the left side of the room and moving the left Summit to the right a little more would be better..

The room is much better with all your effort, very relaxed looking.

Your system has come along way this year I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

Until I looked at the picture progression again I forgot about the pink walls. Not that there is anything wrong with pink walls. I painted our kitchen pink, well mauve actually, but many people called it pink. You either love it or leave the room.

It is a little difficult to tell from the photo but it doesn't look like the couch will interfere with the left speaker much. You could temporarily slide the couch down the wall away from the speaker to see the affect but I would guess it will not be a huge change.

Ever since acquiring Joey's Summits you have been on a roll. What's next or have you exorcised the Joeyitis out of them?

Ever since acquiring Joey's Summits you have been on a roll. What's next or have you exorcised the Joeyitis out of them?

I'd love to ditch my Denon receiver and get a proper HT processor (ie Theta Casablanca 3) but I don't think it'll happen until after the economy rebounds...

Wow, I remember you painting your room but I didn't remember how much of a change it was, for the better. Pink and Panels don't quite do it for me, but the latest pic looks great!

I'm jealous over the Aluminum Framed Summits they look just sooooooo high end!!!

I bet JoeyV is jealous of those too. ;)

By the way, your system looks great . . . except for that off-center TV and Center Channel. That really screws with my sensibilities. Other than that, it looks great. Looking at your previous iterations is fun -- you have come a long way with your system since you started this forum.

Last edited:
I bet JoeyV is jealous of those too. ;)

By the way, your system looks great . . . except for that off-center TV and Center Channel. That really screws with my sensibilities. Other than that, it looks great. Looking at your previous iterations is fun -- you have come a long way with your system since you started this forum.

Yeah, the off-center TV was something I had to do to appease Kerry. It was (is) very hard to watch the TV from the section of the sofa nearest that end table if it's not turned like that.

It did make for some challenging setup and positioning. Nothing that a tape measure, flashlight and adjusting of the receiver channel levels didn't fix. ;)

Sony DVP-NC80V - I just looked this chappie up... do you not think this is a weak point, or do you feel most CD players sound the same or sameish, or justify a big outlay? Just curious.

Point of note - I plugged in a cheap Teac CD player the other day to A/B against my Tri-Vista SACD. Whilst I am not saying the Teac was better, it's surprising how much more I think you have to spend to get "appreciably better" in CDsVille.

BTW: the Teac is ooolllldddd, and I lived with it for years driving both my Aerius and my Ascents.

Last edited:
Yeah, that CD changer is DEFINITELY a weak point in the system.. Someday I'll get a proper one.. Just wish I had unlimited $$$$. :mad:

and of course the receiver is a weak point also...

Sony DVP-NC80V - I just looked this chappie up... do you not think this is a weak point, or do you feel most CD players sound the same or sameish, or justify a big outlay? Just curious.

Point of note - I plugged in a cheap Teac CD player the other day to A/B against my Tri-Vista SACD. Whilst I am not saying the Teac was better, it's surprising how much more I think you have to spend to get "appreciably better" in CDsVille.

BTW: the Teac is ooolllldddd, and I lived with it for years driving both my Aerius and my Ascents.

To get good CD sound You WILL have to pay for it. Some can be had for decent money but to get rid of that CD sound you need to cough up some $$$

so true C.A.P . maybe everyone should chip in a couple a bucks this Christmas
so Tom can get himself a nice cd player :^) that's right ya cheap skates cough up some dough for the man who hosts a website for the coolest and best sounding speakers in the world

Already did, we will see if Tom dips into the cookie jar. If I see a new piece of equipment on the rack, we will get to see where all that money goes. But seriously, the knowledge gained on this site does not carry a price tag and thanks again for what you do.

Tom,

Do yourself a favor and just go the music server route. My server as beat my very expensive CDP and it's awesome. I use an ipod touch as the remote and it all works great. The only issue is ripping the thousands of CD's....

Fish - good point. Wanna start a get Tom a new player thread?

jtwrace - music servers, huh? He's already got a Sqeezebox. Dodgy s/w... and they do suck a bit sonically IMHO.

Nevermind.

My donation is on the way... well, soon, anyway!

I like the Squeezebox... a co worker bought a transporter... I've been bugging him to let me come over and listen to it... maybe after the holidays.

I like the Squeezebox... a co worker bought a transporter... I've been bugging him to let me come over and listen to it... maybe after the holidays.

Just get a good DAC for your SB3. I really don't think the Transporter is as good as everyone makes out. What's more, you can then upgrade the DAC at will.

But you're going to have to get those files out of MP3 format first!

Just get a good DAC for your SB3. I really don't think the Transporter is as good as everyone makes out. What's more, you can then upgrade the DAC at will.

But you're going to have to get those files out of MP3 format first!

I like that idea of using the DAC.... I would've ripped all my CDs using FLAC if my iPod could support that format. I do use my iPod almost daily, so it's important that I pick a format that can be used by the Squeezebox AND my iPod.

Latest posts

Back