System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I might be in the market for a high power/low cost class D solution power amp wise. Give us some more detailed f/b on them, Ken when you can?
How much power do you need @ what nominal impedance, Justin?

The EFX has a surprisingly wide sweet spot. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that it's optimized for near wall placement -sound bounces off from the near wall placement and widens the soundstage.

I would look closely at the Peachtree Audio amplifiers. They have a bunch of options that might suit your new setup. The new Nova 125SE looks good. There's also a Nova 220SE if you want more power.

Attachments

• peachtree_nova_125_SE_5-580x289.jpg
    peachtree_nova_125_SE_5-580x289.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 192
  • peachtree_nova_125_SE_1-640x300.jpg
    peachtree_nova_125_SE_1-640x300.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
How much power do you need @ what nominal impedance, Justin?

Parasound A21 type power is fun - but in a much smaller package please - able to fit in a rack no more than 7"H x 21"W x 19"D 4 Ohms nom.

On the bench the Parasound hit 475 into 4 Ohms but 400 would do I guess.

Parasound A21 type power is fun - but in a much smaller package please - able to fit in a rack no more than 7"H x 21"W x 19"D 4 Ohms nom.

On the bench the Parasound hit 475 into 4 Ohms but 400 would do I guess.

Pocket change and 500+W into 4 Ohms - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CLDG26bFyMICFQqIfgodfTsAZQ
Yes, it has a fan, but it's widely reported to be inaudible in anything like ordinary use.

Stereo ICE amp, 460 into 4 ohms with the latest modules (ASX2) - https://wyred4sound.com/products/stereo/st-mkii-series. They also make nice monoblocks, using the same ASX2 module.

NAD's new nCore-based M22: http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M22-Stereo-Power-Amplifier. IIRC, price is right around $2K.

Or, if you're even semi-handy, you can build a pair of nCore monoblocks for ~$1,700. ~2 hours of solder/build time and, if I can do it, anybody can.;-)

I had had a crown amp, that cost 500 quid for 500w, and it did as well as my AR Ref 110 with KT 120s. In fact I liked it more after I placed it on top of the Shun Mook resonators, because it reacted to them more than the AR which is damn heavy and built. So the soundstaging and decay improved.

Edit: Ken both appreciates the post and rolls his eyes

When it gets hot I'll try the Crown - £385 here on ebay. I'll have to find a way to hide it though:D

Peachtree do some nice looking stuff. I'd get the NAD if I thought I'd use it for more than a few weeks in the year.

TomDac both rooms look bright and cheerful.

My CLS are in a small not very small room. The room walls and floor are made of cement. The rest is wood and glass. I know this is hard to believe but the sound is on some days still very good. Sound is very good or mediocre is a function of the quality of ac arriving at the mains. In summers it can get quite hot and that is when voltage drops and my CLS do not sound good. You mentioned your place is located near a desert. When it is really hot outside and you are running air conditioners the voltage may drop causing your Summits to under perform.

On the other hand if my experience is anything to go by you will after some time ( a year, year and half) regret selling the Summits. My CLS despite their age, still are more enjoyable, when they perform well, to listen to then Motion 15.

Dynamic Motions will cause more room reflections than electrostatic Summits in stone/cement wall and floor room. Electrostatic speakers create diffuse sound. On the other hand dynamic speakers create sound like a torch creates a beam of light. My advice is take summits to the new place. The hard walls in my opinion will not make such a big difference to electrostatic speakers.

The initial dynamic sound of the Motion will impress initially but over the long run you will miss what only electrostatics can do. That is, Transparency and creating a sonic picture or image through sound staging and imaging. Hearing the inner sound. All the above attributes missing or present to a small extent in Motion series. Or really missing in most dynamic technology loudspeakers.

The KEF LS 50 is EISA ward winner and is better than Motion 15. Maybe it is the rest of my system or I have been spoilt by CLS, but the midrange, at least in my system and to my ears, is not too great through Motion 15.

My advice is please do not banish the Summits, take them with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i have some time to made a decision, but I am definitely NOT taking the Summits to the new home. Could they work in that space? Yes.. Do I want them in that space? NO. Kerry is kinda shocked and surprised by this and has urged me to keep the Summits when we move... It's just time for a change and downsizing our household will be good..

I've been an ML owner forever, it seems (27 years!!)... I think the world will continue to revolve if I leave the fold... the LS50 is definitely on my list to audition, as well as the Kef Reference 1...But, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. and no worries... this site will not be going anywhere, even if I don't own ML's.

Last edited:
I had had a crown amp, that cost 500 quid for 500w, and it did as well as my AR Ref 110 with KT 120s. In fact I liked it more after I placed it on top of the Shun Mook resonators, because it reacted to them more than the AR which is damn heavy and built. So the soundstaging and decay improved.

Edit: Ken both appreciates the post and rolls his eyes

I have a XLS 2500 sitting around and never thought of trying it on the ML'S will have to giver it a go ......................

Kerry is kinda shocked and surprised by this and has urged me to keep the Summits when we move...

I am surprised too - that is not a small room Tom, but I guess there are other reasons too. I'm sure whatever you do you'll be achieving fantastic sound in that space so that's all that matters.

I just have this need to simplify my life in preparation for retirement... Can't really explain it

I can relate my brother, having recently done a similar bit of purging with the same longer term goal.

On the subject of Class D amps Tom, you know I had the Peachtree Grand Integrated for a spell. I could have easily lived with it, and came very close actually to getting the new Nova 220se, but instead opted for something a little higher end in my all AURALiC system. Still though, for ultimate simplicity I was very tempted. Should you have the inclination, the AURALiC Merak mono blocks I ended up purchasing are the finest Class D amps I've heard. Check out the reviews on 6 Moons, HiFi+ and Tone, and do check them out if you have a local dealer.

Tom, you might want to check out the new Devialet Phantom. Interesting compact design...
http://en.devialet.com/home-en/

Well, i have some time to made a decision, but I am definitely NOT taking the Summits to the new home. Could they work in that space? Yes.. Do I want them in that space? NO. Kerry is kinda shocked and surprised by this and has urged me to keep the Summits when we move... It's just time for a change and downsizing our household will be good..

I've been an ML owner forever, it seems (27 years!!)... I think the world will continue to revolve if I leave the fold... the LS50 is definitely on my list to audition, as well as the Kef Reference 1...But, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. and no worries... this site will not be going anywhere, even if I don't own ML's.

Okay, if we eliminate the Martin Logan electrostatic models from the 'wish list', let me talk about some other ML options.

I have owned a pair of gloss black Motion 15s for about 6 months. I bought them to replace my Bose AM5s which I was using as rears for my Montis speakers while I was experimenting with surround sound options.

When I unpacked the Motions 15s, I was struck by the superb build quality. In my opinion, they are up there with the British ProAcs and other high end monitors. The sound quality isn't half bad either. After allowing them to 'run in' for a couple of hours on stands next to my Montis speakers, I sat down for some critical listening. Compared to the Montis speakers, the Motion 15s sounded a little 'small' and boxy. Okay, I can hear you wags saying, "Duh! It's because they ARE small and boxy!"

But seriously, these little guys opened up when I started giving them some juice. The soundstage was expansive and the imaging was spot on - possibly due to that amazing tweeter. The bass was surprisingly punchy. I was thinking that if I didn't have many dollars and I was living in a small apartment, I could live with them quite easily.

Now moving on to a scenario where the proposed listening room is a little larger, perhaps the bigger models such as the Motion 40 or even the new Motion 60XT could be put on the short list. One of these speakers could be run with a high quality receiver - maybe one of the new Anthem models (The MRX-510 has been garnering some outstanding reviews). A pair of Motion 15s on stands or maybe the FX-2 surrounds would be a great option as rears.

Hey, Tom - I know you like Klipsch. What about something entirely different than something from ML? How about a pair of Heresy 3s? Paired with a high quality sub and driven by a tidy integrated tube amplifier like an Audio Research VSi60, you would have an outstanding 2 channel system for not that much money...

Last edited:
I will definitely listen to the Motion line up... 35XT on some nice stands with the 50XT center could be a contender.. I really want to audition those.

Back