Which set up would sound "better" in your opinion?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver305

Reaction score
Anyhow, i was just recently presented with an opportunity to make some changes in my set up. My front stage has the electromotions with a jl audio f112 subwoofer. I have a guy who is trading me HIS THEOS for my JL audio F112 subwoofer. What i was thinking of doing was to simply get his theos and with the sale of my electromotions i can buy a used jl audio f110 (the smaller brother of what i have).
Simply put, would a pair of theos with a 10 inch jl audio f110 sound BETTER than the electromotions with a 12 inch JL F112 SUBWOOFER?
which set up would you rather have if everything was all equal??

Depends on if you value the mids/highs more than bass or vice versa. Personally I'd trade. Sell the EM ESL's (well I'd be tempted to use them as rears in a HT setup though) and pay the difference for another F112. The Theos should be a little bit more effortless than the EM ESL's since the panel is bigger.

Last edited:
silver305, if it doesn't cost you anything, or it costs you very little, and forgetting the subwoofer issue, getting the the Theos over the ESLs is a very good option. While both sound similar at first, when driven by a quality amplifier the Theos is a more capable loud speaker. You could then sell your ESLs and buy another sub if you wanted. I ran my original Theos speakers for some time without a sub, and many times they surprised me with their low frequency response. When I added a sub, it was a little REL T2. The combination of the REL and Theos was a good one, and they kept me happy until I upgraded to the Montis.

Back