first ML set up (soon will be) for small condo

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savis

Reaction score
Im very excited to join this forum. Always wanted a ML home theatre set up but never had the budget and space for it.
We are buying a new condo, just paid the deposite, now it is time!

I am upgrading from my current Polk RTI set up which we loved for the past 4 years.

use: 70% HT 30% music
Center: used Stage (very lucky to find one!)
Front: most likely ESL, i really like the look of theos but have no budget for them at the moment.
Rear: ML-60 (installer series) or Helos 12/10. They will be inwall, does it make sense to go 6.1? (have a helos 20 in middle) I searched around the forum never found any info on ML 60 installer series. Are they close to helos 10/12?

AVR: denon 1909 (i know this is bad, but one thing at a time). maybe upgrade to Denon X3000 or something more capable (Marantz SR5006 4ohm rated?) to drive stage & ESL at medium level. I live in a condo so I can never turn the volume up.

Let me know what you guys think about my set up!

Condo Plan.jpg

Im very excited to join this forum. Always wanted a ML home theatre set up but never had the budget and space for it.
We are buying a new condo, just paid the deposite, now it is time!

I am upgrading from my current Polk RTI set up which we loved for the past 4 years.

use: 70% HT 30% music
Center: used Stage (very lucky to find one!)
Front: most likely ESL, i really like the look of theos but have no budget for them at the moment.
Rear: ML-60 (installer series) or Helos 12/10. They will be inwall, does it make sense to go 6.1? (have a helos 20 in middle) I searched around the forum never found any info on ML 60 installer series. Are they close to helos 10/12?

AVR: denon 1909 (i know this is bad, but one thing at a time). maybe upgrade to Denon X3000 or something more capable (Marantz SR5006 4ohm rated?) to drive stage & ESL at medium level. I live in a condo so I can never turn the volume up.

Let me know what you guys think about my set up!

View attachment 16944

get the electromotions... they are perfect for your space and they wont take up much space. I love mine and i can honestly say the only reason why i am almost about to get a pair of theos is because i bought a butler audio hybrid amp that i want to hear with a bigger panel. The electromotions are great speakers for the money.

get the electromotions... they are perfect for your space and they wont take up much space. I love mine and i can honestly say the only reason why i am almost about to get a pair of theos is because i bought a butler audio hybrid amp that i want to hear with a bigger panel. The electromotions are great speakers for the money.

I agree…….. it appears that space is a premium for you.

I would agree with that the Electromotions are probably best for your space. If however, you see yourself moving to a bigger space in the next 5 years or so, then I would get the Theos and live with the slightly tighter quarters. I'm increasingly an advocate for "buy big upfront and keep it for life".
As far as amplification goes, I would recommend and external amp for the Electromotions and the Stage. ESLs are demanding speakers (as far as impedance goes) and the typical HT receiver doesn't have what it takes to drive them to their full potential. That's my opinion based on my experience with my ML Vantages and a Stage center channel.

BTW - I live in a one bedroom apartment (with a very understanding wife).
What's your plan when it comes to a subwoofer?

Thanks for the input. does Theos perform better with larger spaces? I do not plan to move to anywhere bigger in next 5 years. Seems like ESL is the way to go at the moment.
Subwoofer wise I probably will keep my current ML dynamo 300, which does quite well consider the condo factor..

My current AVR does not have pre-outs... I will have to get a new AVR first then upgrade to a separate amp later.

I manage to get 15% of the ESL speaker... which isn't bad i guess.. I have price watched these babe for a while seem they never drop due to ML price protection.
I got amazed again in the show room. Driven by marantz 7006.

I'm putting up my electromotions for sale soon..i have boxes and everything. I'm buying the theos today .

have anyone heard about architectural - installer series? They seem like helos without vodjko crossover... they are significantly cheaper... I am thinking to get a pair of ML-60 as rear in wall surrounds..

updates:
1-bought the last Grotto-I available from futureshop for 699$ (phasing out), I love everything about my current Dynamo 300, I hope this isnt gonna overkill my new condo living room. If I turn the 25hz knob down that would help?
(edit* nevermind... ESL has only 1 pair of binding post)

2-Probably going for Denon AVR X4000, 6ohm rated 7 discrete amp and bi-amp the ESL. Looks like the panel is more demanding at higher frequency, so the center Stage with a tweeter is more forgiving? I only need them at a moderate volume.

3- Planning to order the ML60 or helos 12... still waiting for feedback...

Last edited:
Back