Help needed with CLS (original version) - one speaker just died

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArneW

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am totally devastated - one of my beloved CLS's just died. It was functioning properly when I found out that the power cable was not plugged in correctly. When I plugged it in firmly, the speaker died. One can hear a faint and distorted music signal, but it does not make any difference if the power cord is plugged in or not. Sadly, it's most likely not the power fuse in the electronics box which seems to be intact. Any ideas what to examine next? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Arne

Check the connection between the female plug inside the box to the power supply.

Also, I had once, a faulty contact at the fuse holder. To be sure that the problem is the power supply, swap them and listen. If doing this, now, the other speaker is not working, then you found the culprit. Swapping the power supplies did not solve to track the problem, then, you might have a faulty contact at the panel. Usually, the blue color cable is not making contact with the stat panel. The joint is broken and must be solder again.

If the power supply is the culprit, then check the fuse holder. It could looks neat. I had once, one fuse holder making a bad contact. It did look neat, but was broken and was not making a good contact. Is there any red led on? If you can see it on, then you have voltage at the power transformer. This transformer, at the secondary winding, could be in short partially, or totally open, making it, not working the high voltage multiplier. Or, an open resistor at the end of the high voltage. These resistors are 15M.0 ohms, colors are: brown, green, blue, and are located where the red wire is connected, (the connector coming from the stat panels) coming from the stat panel. Just follow the printed circuit foil that goes to these 5 resistors and all them are connected in series. If you have one or two open, change it for the same value and wattage.

Thanks a lot for the kind suggestions. However, the situation is even worse than expected. Either one of the power amps (Audiolabor ES 100 monoblocks) killed the CLS or vice versa. When I connect the other amp to the speaker it will play at almost normal levels, but totally distorted. Looks like this is gonna be expensive...

For now, I have reverted to a pair of Reference 3A speakers and a Mission Cyrus II/PSX.

Arne

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398273350.279447.jpg

That"s the electronics box of the other CLS while playing. I don't see any LED though - perhaps they're only found on later models.

Thanks a lot for the kind suggestions. However, the situation is even worse than expected. Either one of the power amps (Audiolabor ES 100 monoblocks) killed the CLS or vice versa. When I connect the other amp to the speaker it will play at almost normal levels, but totally distorted. Looks like this is gonna be expensive...

For now, I have reverted to a pair of Reference 3A speakers and a Mission Cyrus II/PSX.

Arne
Dare you connect the monoblocks to the Reference 3A speakers to see if the amps are okay?

Arne, you have one of the earliest CLS version. Reading you, there are a couple of possibilities.

If you take off the fuse, and swap it from the other power supply, sometimes it looks good, but it s bad.

1.- There are no AC from the mains wall, or the cable is not plugged as it should at the CLS female AC socket. How the speaker was sounding right, if it was not plugged to the mains AC?
2.- If you did connect the other mono block to this speaker, and still you are getting distortion, both amplifiers should have the same behavior. This is odd,

To track the problem, you are going to need the help of a friend and swap the power supplies, the electronic boxes. They are secured by four hex screws to the frame of the CLSs. You have to lay down on its side each speaker to do this. A the pic, the top left is the stat connector. It is a white color with the three cables, from the stat panel, red, blue and black. Unplug this connector and swap the power supplies and try.

Last edited:
Dare you connect the monoblocks to the Reference 3A speakers to see if the amps are okay?

That's what I wanted to say: The monoblock *and* the corresponding speaker are gone. When I connect the other amp to the defective speaker, it will play, but distorted (Update: When I connected the Mission Cyrus to the defective CLS this morning, it didn't play at all).

The defective amp plays at a somewhat lower volume and very much distorted when connected to the Reference 3A loudspeaker. The other amp is fine, as is the other CLS.

Arne

u might want to get a voltmeter and check for DC offset on the monoblock before you take out your woofers.

Latest posts

Back