Budget HT system for vacation home.. Need suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hey all,
I need some suggestions for a budget HT system I'm putting together for our vacation home. I already think the Denon AVR-E300 would be my receiver choice because it supports HDMI and also has Apple Airplay and a USB port in the front of the unit, which would be nice for when we want to rent the place out for vacationers.. It's also network compatible, which is nice.. I have a Klipsch center speaker that's in good shape, and the house we bought has surrounds already mounted in the ceiling... Not sure what brand, and not sure if they even work, but I'll assume they do.. So, I'm looking for advice for some main speakers and a DVD/blue ray player.. I'm thinking bookshelf speakers.. Keep in mind we are on a very tight budget and buying used is fine. The house is in a very hot and dry climate (Palm Springs, CA), and I don't know what the extreme heat will do to stuff long-term..

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom.

Tom, depending on how much you want to spend I'd suggest Oppo for your source player and perhaps , staying with the 'same voice' philosophy, some Klipsch book shelf speakers..........

Tom, depending on how much you want to spend I'd suggest Oppo for your source player and perhaps , staying with the 'same voice' philosophy, some Klipsch book shelf speakers..........

I'd go with some Klipsch bookshelf speakers, but probably not the Oppo for a budget system in a rental home. Just get a cheap Sony or Panasonic at Best Buy or somewhere similar.

I'd go with some Klipsch bookshelf speakers, but probably not the Oppo for a budget system in a rental home. Just get a cheap Sony or Panasonic at Best Buy or somewhere similar.

perhaps one of these ......................

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/9515239.p?id=1219021958830&skuId=9515239&st=categoryid$abcat0102003&cp=1&lp=1

...and Tom, have a really long hard look at Andrew Jones' Pioneer sp-bs22-lr bookshelf speakers. They are unbeatable for the price and are nearly unbeatable for the size - irrespective of cost which is around $90 to $120 per pair. Check out some online reviews. You'd have to pay a lot more for the equivalent Klipsch model (which are an excellent choice if money wasn't an issue).

Here's an interesting review: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/11/pioneer-sp-bs22lr-standmount-loudspeaker-review/

Last edited:
Hey all... thanks for the replies.. Went to look at a Denon AVR-E400 that I saw on Craigslist. Seller had purchased it 5 months ago and just accepted a job offer in South Africa, so he was selling everything in the house and needed to get it done, so I bought the receiver for 200 bucks!! And he had some Klipsch B-20 bookshelf speakers with a C-10 center that i took off his hands for a 100 bucks too! And a Canon printer/fax/scanner I took off his hands for $20. All had original boxes and receipts.. He shoots, he scores! yay!!

way to go big guy........so, all you need is a Blue ray / DVD player correct ?

Good deal Tom!

Yes, for cheap players, the Panasonics win for me. I've had $75 BluRay unit in the secondary system for years and it performs ine. Regular firmware updates are available, so all the new discs continue playing.

Latest posts

Back