Landslide in Jackson, WY

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

For anyone interested in geology and the power of mother nature, goggle "townofjackson.com" and click on the top link.

On the left, click on the live cam video feed from the Budge Dr. slide.

Not often that one can see something like this in real time.

It started about 2 weeks ago and it's still moving.

Note the parking lot (or more accurately what's left of it) to the left of the Walgreens building. That asphalt surface uplift is about 8' high or so.

The area up top that is sinking (vertical crack) goes all the way from the "dark" soil lense that you will see on the right side to the 2 story apartment apartment building on the left side. Look at the top of the traffic signal pole in the foreground and then extend up to the hillside.

Also recommend that you click on the "photo link" on the Town website home page.

Pretty fascinating stuff. Fortunately, no one has been hurt to date. There's 40 homes or so on the top of the hill that can no longer be accessed. Walgreens,which opened up about fours months ago, is toast. They were trying to sell the building with the surrounding property for $14M. I think you could get a "great" deal on the property at this time. :D

I visited the site on Thursday before the first major slide occurred with my safety vest and hardhat on so I could "blend in". Worked for about 30 seconds and I was politely told to "get the hell out of here". Pretty scary stuff.

If you look carefully in the middle section of the live feed, you will see a house that has been split in half by the failure at the top of the slope.

Gordon

There was a story about it on the local news here in Denver. Pretty fascinating. I figured you might even be working on it Gordon. You're involved with urban planning or something similar for the City of Jackson Hole aren't you? At least everyone is aware of this event, unlike the recent tragedy in Washington state.

Tim,

I'm Project Manager for a sidewalk / bike lane project where we plan to construct non-motorized facilities between Walgreens and the highway. I didn't have anything to do with the Walgreens project but I know numerous professional colleagues / friends who are involved. Lots of nervous folks out there at the moment.

Suffice to say, I put that section of the project on hold at the moment.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back