Schiit Audio "Loki"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
Just received the Schiit Audio Loki DSD dedicated dac US$149.00 and am listening to both true DSD and converted on the fly FLAC and WAV (both 96/24) files from a Toshiba Laptop (JRiver MC19, Win7, Audioquest Forest USB) and the sound is really good. This is a inexpensive way to try out DSD and with the DSD on the fly I can keep all of my regular FLAC and WAV files without repurchasing.

Just received the Schiit Audio Loki DSD dedicated dac US$149.00 and am listening to both true DSD and converted on the fly FLAC and WAV (both 96/24) files from a Toshiba Laptop (JRiver MC19, Win7, Audioquest Forest USB) and the sound is really good. This is a inexpensive way to try out DSD and with the DSD on the fly I can keep all of my regular FLAC and WAV files without repurchasing.

Hi Risabet.... your post got me to thinking ... and that is dangerous... anyway.... So, I am now seeing these DACs with DSD ... and I really like DSD.... however.... these will only work with DSD down-loadable files correct? Do you know if there are any DACs that will take a bit stream and convert that to DSD? Maybe a stupid question - but I know SACD is not something I can go 'digital out' with..... I have also seen a DAC with DSD that has analog inputs..... so I am a bit confused.... wondering if this would take the analog signal and do an analog to digital and then a digital to analog out!! So, in other words could you have a better DSD decoder in the DAC improve the sound of existing SACDs I have...

I guess what I am thinking is - if I had a pure bit stream going to the DAC - at that point why couldn't it convert anything to DSD... and if so --- maybe there are negatives there considering that bit stream has all ready been sampled at 16/44Khz for redbook as an example....

maybe I am just blubbering here!!! :)

Tim, check out the new directstream DAC from PsAudio. It takes standard PCM files from a cd and converts them to DSD before processing via a gate array (vs. a standard DAC chip). You can also send bitstream files to it via an optional network card. Supposed to sound phenomenal. I have just purchased their memory player transport and this DAC is next on my list.

Tim, check out the new directstream DAC from PsAudio. It takes standard PCM files from a cd and converts them to DSD before processing via a gate array (vs. a standard DAC chip). You can also send bitstream files to it via an optional network card. Supposed to sound phenomenal. I have just purchased their memory player transport and this DAC is next on my list.

Awesome! Thanks Rich. Tim.

Timm,

I'm getting around that by using JRiver which can convert PCM files to DoP on the fly, so all of my FLAC and WAV files play through the Schiit (I smile every time I write the name:ROFL:) The Loki has an analog input that serves as a pass through for a standard, read non-DSD, DAC if one only has one input for digital.

Back