New member on Long Island + upgrade advice needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaz351

Reaction score
Hi,

New member Chaz351 here.

My setup includes Motion 12s as Front Speakers, Motion 8 as center, Two Mirage nanosat satellite speakers for highs, Bose 161s as side speakers and Mirage Nanosat Prestige speakers as rears. Sub is Athena AS-P400.
Onkyo TX-NR5008 as receiver, Oppo BDP-103D Blu-Ray disc player and Sony 55" 4K flat screen.

I purchased the 12s about 2 years ago and I was thinking of upgrading the fronts to either Motion 40s or the ElectroMotion ESls. They are about the same price. I am more interested in a Home Theater experience than playing music.
This is a rather small room (14x10). The sound I get is good, but as most members, I am always looking to upgrade because I feel I might be missing something.
I was also thinking of the wall-mounted ESXs.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

Chaz

Last edited:
I just owned a pair of the Motion 40s, outstanding details. Initially wanted the ESLs mainly for music but space is smaller.

I'll definitely recommend the 40s as your fronts. Once the break-in, even more details for your movies. They definitely offer much more sweet spot/listening space then the ESLs considering that you'll be doing mainly home theater stuff. Either choice is good.

Btw, how do you like the Oppo? Still contemplating between that same model with the Marantz UD-7007. I have the Marantz SR7007 with the Motion 40s, using Sony BDS3100 as a source. Do mainly music listening

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi,
Thanks for the advice on the 40's. I went to Best Buy and heard them both and I think that is the way I am going to go.The Oppo player is a great unit. Heavy and solid. The Darbee video up scaling process really brings out more definition when I watch movies. It up converts my bluray discs to a 4K level (or very close) and the level of detail it brings out on my Sony is stunning. As far as music is concerned, I believe it can play just about any format that is out there now. A bit pricey at $600, but worth every penny.

Back