Port Wine

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed Port was mentioned in another thread so instead of furthering the discussion and getting off topic I thought I might open for discussion a new / separate thread……..

To those that appreciate a great Port we are blessed with one of, if not the best Vintage years ever (2011). I know Justin mentioned Graham's and I concur, a great Vintage offering but I have absolutely fallen in love with Quinta Do Vale Meao. A superbly refined and powerful drink right now that is sure to please many years down the road……………. I just bought the last six bottles that Total Wine had on the shelf !!

Dave, New Year's Eve 1993 a dinner guest brought along a bottle of Barros 1963! It was unlike anything I'd had before. Unfortunately it was also unaffordable (about $600 for the bottle) - she had bought it years ago. I've seen it in a couple of restaurants in the US at $45/glass. If ever you come across it, do try a glass; you won't regret the expense.

I have a couple of bottles of Burmester 1985 which are great, but not quite like the Barros. I plan to open one when it turns 30.

Bernard , I've seen some of the recent Vintage Ports (2011) going for absurd money as well, thankfully my palate is not that sophisticated ! I'm thinking with my half dozen bottles I have on hand and I'll probably add a few more………Cockburn, Warre and hopefully Dow……..I'll try and spread them out over the next twenty or so years, assuming I'm still around !

Dave, have you ever tried port with blue cheese? I don't like either on their own, but together they're a match made in Heaven! I'm partial to blue cheese from France.

Dave, have you ever tried port with blue cheese?

Bernard, I have not and I like both ! I guess I've always thought of cheese as a 'before' dinner treat. I will be sure to give it a try. On the subject of Blu cheese, I love it (crumbled) atop thousand Island dressing on my salad.

My enjoyment of Ports as well as Irish and Scottish whiskeys is usually with that of a good cigar.

There is anotehr kind of port that gives much higher value for money that Vintage. Colheita. It is a single-vintage tawny, i.e. a wine from a single, declared vintage that has been matured on wood and not on bottle. Ususlly, they are ready to drink when they are bottled unlike Vintage, which usually requires at least 20 years. I have tasted some absolutely outstanding Colheitas. Particularly memorable ha been Krohn 1967 , which had a deep, rich, nutty flavour, and still maintained fruity and fresh notes. Amazing complexity unlike anything else I have tasted. The best was the price. My "wine-pusher still sell it for around 250 USD. An absolute bargain for a wine that approaches the age of 50!

And Colheitas from the 1998-1999 can be had for around 50 USD. The king of Colheita is probably Krohn, but there are others as well.

Dave,

i have a couple bottles of the Quinta Do Vale Meao in my cellar and actually enjoyed a glass last Saturday with a Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo on the deck. When I bought these bottles the wine guy turned me onto another dessert wine called Alvear Pedro Jimenez de Anada which, while a little sweet, pairs up nicely with a spicy maduro.

Interesting Mark, thanks for the heads up !

Dave,

I saw on another wine thread that Fonseca Bin 27 is your everyday porto, it is mine as well. Paired it with a chocolate fudge brownie torte last night for dessert and it was quite a nice pairing.

Latest posts

Back