Unusual CLS I question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbracklow

Reaction score
Hi All, A Question:
I have obtained a CLS "I", I think. But it looks different from the other pictures. The panels have vertical division like the IIs (but are symmetrical, both sides the same width), not divided horizontally only like all the other "I"s. The rear of the panels have no letters or marking on them. The Serial numbers are 4138 & 4139, and they are called "Controlled Line Source", not "curvilinear". Also, the power box has one rear leg, not two.
I understand M-L did constant tweaking on the CLS. Is this a later model of the I just before entry of the II? I think I saw a picture of a "Ia" type once but can't find it anymore. They play beautifully. Anyone have information on them?
Thanks.

I refer loudspeaker CLS 1 version 2. I think both of us have the same model of loudspeaker. Picture of the CLS version 1 can be found at the Martin Logan website. This loudspeaker had only horizontal panels. I think both of us and Mr. C.A.P have version 2 of CLS 1. I enjoy listening to the CLS 1 version 2. I have had these loudspeakers for the past 19 years. If you have any questions related to CLS 1 version 2, i would be very happy to help.
Happy Listening my friend.

Last edited:
The very first CLS manufactured during 1986 ( photo at ML website under past products). From 1987 to 1992 CLS 1 Version 2 manufactured in Lawrence, Kansas ( No picture on ML website. I wonder why, because it was a great product ).

If you visit Stereophile web home page and search under Equipment reviews\ Martin Logan CLS hopefully you will find useful information on CLS range of loudspeakers. Information published in years 1987, 1991, 1992, 1994 in Stereophile magazine.

Stated on the electronic box is Controlled Line Source. And stated on the factory box containing CLS is the phrase CLS followed by Curvilinear Line Source. Both phrases refer to CLS 1 version 2.

Last edited:
As most of you guys know, I was a Martin Logan dealer for many years that covered all versions of the CLS speaker. There never was a CLS I "A" or version 2. It was just the CLS, then the CLS II, then the CLS IIA, then the CLS IIZ.

I think maybe the REPLACEMENT panels for the original CLS changed over the years and that is what is confusing everyone. C.A.P. had Jim Powers do a few mods on his speakers while at the factory and C.A.P. decided to call them CLS I "A", but that was his own designation, not from Martin Logan.

Sorry for the confusion, but this is how I remember it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back