Montis + Pathos Classic 1 Mk 3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
I wonder...

What would you do if a little Pathos Classic 1 Mk 3 wanted to follow you home?

Pluses:

It's cute.
It has a fully balanced tube preamp stage.
It has XLR inputs for a DAC or an XLR equipped CD player.
It has a mosfet power amp stage.
It's stable down to 1 ohm and can drive Martin Logan speakers.
It's affordable.

Minuses:

It's almost too cute.
It's not really that powerful.
And.... that's about it with the minuses.

While you guys are pondering whether you'd buy one, I cut a deal for a good price. It should be delivered in the next few days. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Ed,

I hope the pre meets your expectations and that you purchased with a full 100% refund option.

GG

PS: I just concluded a recent purchase, absent that option. Result, not good.

Last edited:
The old days of being able to audition products before you buy them becoming more and more difficult. Plus, with the new global retail market, your favourite hi-fi store may very well be located in another country! I find I am now relying on forums and professional reviews to help me decide on the merits of my next purchase - as is in the case of the Pathos amplifier.

Gordon, why were you disappointed with your new purchase?

I almost bought one few months ago. I heard the Mk II a few years ago driving a pair of Tannoys and was pretty smitten. I only held off because I want something that will be capable of driving my CLS's at some point. When I was researching it I did find an article that talked about bridging a pair of them, and I believe in that configuration the pair was capable of delivering somewhere around 180w/channel. If I can find the article again I'll post a link.

Back