new to Martin Logans... get Aerius i or Odyssey?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadec22

Reaction score
So I have a 7.2 Canton speaker setup that I use almost exclusively for movies and games on my projector screen. I dig the Canton setup, it's great.

I have however become intrigued by Martin Logans. The look fantastic and the are said to have great clarity. Clarity is what I really enjoy about my Canton setup, so if the MLs are even better, game on.

I'm driving everything with an Emotiva LPA-1. (225wpc into 4ohms).

I'm looking at some used Aerius I for roughly 1k or really stepping it up to the Odyssey for 1,900. Any advice? I'm leaning the Odyssey to ensure a true upgrade from the current setup. oh, and I found a logos center locally for cheap. I pick it up Thursday.

PS the only ML I can audition are at local BB Magnolia. they were regular Electro Motion ESL. content and setting were less than ideal.

Clarity is what I really enjoy about my Canton setup, so if the MLs are even better, game on.

The Aerius will likely be a big step up, and the Odyssey is a 2 models up so even better. Not really comparable in that respect - everyone will suggest Odyssey.

There are a few caveats though:

1. Make sure the panels are in good condition and reasonably new. Check using the serial number decoder on tihs website, or factor in the cost of new panels. Clarity they won't have if the speakers have dying and/or poolry maintained panels. If it has ever been in a smoker's house, forget it without consideration.

2. Your amp might not be up to the challenge of driving an electrostatic. Try for a home demo first, or if not take your amp and drive the speakers with them. ES panels are very revealing of any deficiencies higher up the chain, and those deficiencies will be exacerbated by the tough load than an ES presents.

You're in Kansas- why not drive right up to the Martin Logan factory and go dumpster diving? You might find something good.

BTW, all the martin logan speakers have good "clarity". Don't have to spend your money all in one place.

Last edited:
The Aerius will likely be a big step up, and the Odyssey is a 2 models up so even better. Not really comparable in that respect - everyone will suggest Odyssey.

There are a few caveats though:

1. Make sure the panels are in good condition and reasonably new. Check using the serial number decoder on tihs website, or factor in the cost of new panels. Clarity they won't have if the speakers have dying and/or poolry maintained panels. If it has ever been in a smoker's house, forget it without consideration.

2. Your amp might not be up to the challenge of driving an electrostatic. Try for a home demo first, or if not take your amp and drive the speakers with them. ES panels are very revealing of any deficiencies higher up the chain, and those deficiencies will be exacerbated by the tough load than an ES presents.

great stuff. where is the serial no decoder? can you get the cost of replacement panels by emailing ML directly?

You're in Kansas- why not drive right up to the Martin Logan factory and go dumpster diving? You might find something good.

BTW, all the martin logan speakers have good "clarity". Don't have to spend your money all in one place.

as I understand it the factory is now in Canada and all the R&D is in Lawrence, KS.

as I understand it the factory is now in Canada and all the R&D is in Lawrence, KS.

You are correct - no more ML manufacturing in Lawrence. Odyssey is a MASSIVE step from Aerius, but they are HUGE and you will need space behind and around them and I don't know if that amp will be up to the task of driving them properly. Both the Aerius and Odyssey are older ML technology and will require a good amp to get the best from them. New ML models are easier to drive and have powered subs built into them. Hope the Logos you get is OK. ML doesn't support that anymore, so if the panel is gone, you'll be looking for someone to refurb it. Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard. :)

You are correct - no more ML manufacturing in Lawrence. Odyssey is a MASSIVE step from Aerius, but they are HUGE and you will need space behind and around them and I don't know if that amp will be up to the task of driving them properly. Both the Aerius and Odyssey are older ML technology and will require a good amp to get the best from them. New ML models are easier to drive and have powered subs built into them. Hope the Logos you get is OK. ML doesn't support that anymore, so if the panel is gone, you'll be looking for someone to refurb it. Good luck with your decision and welcome aboard. :)

I plan on running two channels per speaker for 450wpc into 4ohms. I would think that would be good enough for either model.

The Logos is pretty low risk. I'm only paying 300 for it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I plan on running two channels per speaker for 450wpc into 4ohms. I would think that would be good enough for either model.

The Odyssey is already 4 ohms, so if you tried to bridge two channels, it would be like driving 2 ohms.

The Odyssey is already 4 ohms, so if you tried to bridge two channels, it would be like driving 2 ohms.

I hadn't done my homework yet. I hoped to use a y adapter to send the signal to two different channels in the amp then wire one to the low and one to the high. Then I wouldn't be bridging.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I would get Odyssey and then figure out how to eliminate the two inductors -- in parallel no less! -- in the woofers' passive xo. Odyssey with active bass should have a lot of promise. Might need to drive each woofer separately?

Get the Odyssey's. I have owned both the Aerius i's and Odyssey's. The Odyssey's are a big step up in every which way. I still have the Odyssey's.

Back