Toe In?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,

Are you serious about the laser tweak? I never read that... must have been before my time here on MLO. Post it please...

Joey_V said:
Joe,

Are you serious about the laser tweak? I never read that... must have been before my time here on MLO. Post it please...

It's my own tweak I came up with a few years ago. :D

I will do a wright up and post it.

Thanks for the laser pen tweak idea-I look forward to seeing your write up. THe question is how to get the angle from the speaker (cinema or thater) just right for the ears. Is there an inner angle that optimize the sound or is it just straigt on.

Do you put the last pen on the top of the speaker or the bottom etc or conversely where/how do you aim it from the listenr position.

I have put my Clarity's on marble 12"x12" slabs (with their spikes) so toe in addjustments are quite easy to do. I just move the slabs. The flash light tweak really helps to know where one is I optimize.

I am hoping there is a similar "teak" for the cinima.

Joel

Joel

Last edited:
jmschnur said:
Thanks for the laser pen tweak idea-I look forward to seeing your write up. THe question is how to get the angle from the speaker (cinema or thater) just right for the ears. Is there an inner angle that optimize the sound or is it just straigt on.

Do you put the last pen on the top of the speaker or the bottom etc or conversely where/how do you aim it from the listenr position.

I have put my Clarity's on marble 12"x12" slabs (with their spikes) so toe in addjustments are quite easy to do. I just move the slabs. The flash light tweak really helps to know where one is I optimize.

I am hoping there is a similar "teak" for the cinima.

Joel

Joel

Basically you take the laser pin and hold it under the bottom of the center channel, and shoot the red dot at your listening position. This will give you an accurate idea of wear your center channel is throwing its sound.

I find it best to have someone sit in the center spot, have them close there eyes and shoot the dot at them. I will hold the laser to the bottom of the Theater and center the dot at there throat, then place the laser on top of the center channel and place the dot in the middle of there forehead.

Its also handy for ML surround speakers, when the flash light track just doesn’t get it right. For main speakers I still find the flash light trick to be best.

Thanks-good idea. I also did for the sides thus defining the left and right listening positons fairly well.
Joel

Last edited:
jmschnur said:
Thanks-good idea. I also did for the sides thus defining the left and right listening positons fairly well.
Joel

Your welcome. I am glad it worked for you. I will do a better write up and post it in the tweaks section when I get a chance.

Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,
The tape measure worked great fro me and I have a reference in case I move the speakers for cleaning or what ever. The CLS I think are probably more difficult to "dial-in" and may have a smaller sweet spot but once you get it set it is like a very large pair of headphones.

Jeff :cool:
Now the secret is out.lol I measure everything from toe in,distance from back wall, side wall and rake. Every room is different have fun. I started with the Ml's straight witch has a more mellow sound but as i toed them in the focus was better and side wall reflections were gone.

Back