Sequel VS new models ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris K

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question do I should buy a new panels for Sequel 2 or buy a new model "BUT" how much I have to spend money for a new model ML to have the same sound as from Sequel 2. I heard that not all new models are better than the old Sequel 2... :p

-At what place from the top you put Sequel 2 in relation to the new models ML?

:confused:

ALL the current hybrid ESL offerings from ML are better than the Sequel 2. Better woofer/panel integration, easier to drive and the panels are more efficient. I would not put any money into new panels for speakers that old. I owned Sequels for 17 years.. They were great for their day, but they can't touch any of the new ML's.

Last edited:
Hi TomDac,
this is very bad news for me ... I bought the sequel from not honest seller. He told me the panels were refurbished ... After a few weeks I found a few flaws in the panels. The panels are complete scrap. Speakers cost the 1700euro with shipping...

What are the flaws in the panels? What do they sound like? Tell us the symptoms.

Maybe you could try showering the panels. It's a last ditch effort that sometimes can bring panels back from the dead.

Here are instructions: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?604-Martin-Logan-Shower-Cleaning-PDF

btw, 1700 Euro (2348.89 USD) is almost what the Sequel ii retailed for brand new in 1989. You should've paid no more than 750 USD for them - even in fantastic condition, because of their age.

http://www.martinlogan.com/products/sequelii

Last edited:
the sound is ok, but I have 3 parts panels ar dead and falls into vibration (resonance) I think that they are not sufficiently stretched. In some places are visible wrinkles. Sometimes I can hear the hissing and shooting ...

have you tried vacuuming the panels? Leave them unplugged overnight and then take a vacuum hose and suck all the dust off the panels (front and back).

yes I cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner, shower option left :) or new panels ...
but I'll try to sell them. If you do not sell it I'll try to stretch the new film before buying a new panels

Check with your local ML dealer about how much new panels would cost. ML requires that non-US customers go thru their dealer network for new panels.

If it were me, I would sell the Sequel 2's and get something newer. chalk it up as a lesson learned.

the sound is ok, but I have 3 parts panels ar dead and falls into vibration (resonance) I think that they are not sufficiently stretched. In some places are visible wrinkles. Sometimes I can hear the hissing and shooting ...
Hola. Do the washing procedure as Tom is suggesting to do. The only thing that you can loose, is the time and some water. I had recovered many dead panels here in Costa Rica. Spend about five minutes on each panel with mild water, and perhaps you could get them back. Happy listening!

This is a very expensive and painful lesson...The new panels from the UK costs over 830 pounds (1300usd) :cool:
I would like to sell them but in Ireland it is difficult to sell anything and shipping costs a fortune out the village :rocker:

Showering is not going to fix wrinkles. You may have to use the hair dryer trick, or take apart the panel.

Hi, Mr. Romeo from Germany is expensive price for the repair panels 800 euros + shipping so for that money u can get a brand new panels from the ML ...

I bought a second hand panels, now is ok. Someone wants to buy from me sequels. If he does not buy them I'll keep sequels and renovate them ...

Back