New CLX Owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony

Reaction score
Greetings,
Just purchased CLX, wondering how long before I start to notice changes in sound or will it continue to change as the time goes on, so far I have about 50 hours.

Thanks,
Suresh

Hola Suresh...welcome to the magic world of the goose bumps!. I got mines about two years ago, and still amazed me their quality of sound and what they are capable to do for good to my music. I do like classical music, jazz, rock and easy listening. Some chill out, and lounge. But, every day, I get the pleasure to have all the great musician(s) playing for me, here, at my own room. Enjoy, to my ears, they truly are that good! Happy listening.

Hola Roberto
I like jazz, rock and easy listening as well. I played Govi -accoustic guitar, simply amazing.. have a question about break in, will it change dramatically after 100 hours of playing, is it really noticeable or the change is very subtle...

Suresh

Welcome and congrats on the new CLX's ............@ 60 hrs of listening I suspect sonic improvements will be subtle but will continue to improve. With that being said, tweaking of placement and room interaction will without question bring additional improvement.

Rest assured that placement has a huge impact on all ML's, especially the CLX.

GG

Gordon and Dave are right!...when you first listen them, you could notice a harsh sound from the S of a vocal recording, or some notes were not too musical...this is due to the diaphragm, because new, it is very tight. With the use, it becomes to get those Ss right and the musical notes are now more real, with the timbre and also right with the energy to be projected to the room. Dedicated room acoustics is a must with any Martin Logan model. Time spent in acoustic adjustment will pay the bill and will give you tons of listening pleasure. The overall sound from them will be effortless, with huge stage. The right size of the instruments and the holographic stage presentation, is your prize. Vocals and solo instrument(s) will be dancing in front of you, having all the other musician(s) playing for you too. Violin, or better say, any string instrument will be life like, no matter how old is the recording. I have fantastic recording made at the late of the 50s with outstanding sound and stage presentation. With wind instruments is a jewel to listen. I would say, any kind of music, and any musical instrument will be in front of you, caressing your ears! You will not get any ear fatigue with the CLXs...Happy listening and congratulations again!

Gordon, Roberto,
Thanks for all the tips. Will spend time with placement tweaking since I am getting closer to the break in period.

Suresh

Mine are new from end of December and the bass took MANY, many hours of play to get to an effortless presence...but they did. The manual states 90 dB of play for 100 hours. That's a LOT of play at a high energy level.

But, these speakers really get under your skin after break-in with their truly realistic midrange timber and imaging. I just haven't heard anything that music doesn't seem to "come" from like these. The music is so fast and accurate every nuance is just "there". You never get the sense the speaker is "making" the music (of course, it is indeed doing the deed). But the phrase, "disappear into the room" is close to true with them.

I stuck mine on a digital radio at ~90 dB and left for work over several weeks. The radio's narrow dynamic range set me at easy to not overdrive the panels dynamically. The bass panels will cry for mercy first. Watch for light blue corona discharge as the bass panel gets near enough to the stator to start a electrostatic discharge. Same as your finger next to your sister’s ear after you rub your feet on the carpet, eventually there will be a POP. You'll hear, and see, a light POP sound. Pay attention to the general SPL level and musical type and simply try not to go there again (bass SPL wise). Some new digital recordings are pretty dynamic, and a bass session can be much more dynamic than off of a record, and suprise you. I have a few CD cuts that are pretty excessive in bass relative to other recordings. Add in the fact that the auto-level volume isn't too great, either.

Don't fret, the volume level is NOT where you will ever play music for long in a normal sized room. They get plenty loud. And, Roberto is right as rain, strings and any complex harmonically structured sounds are superb on CLX. As good as they are at their best sounds, they are darn near superb EVERYwhere they work. Sure, the deeper bass and mid range dynamic POW is better on dynamic drivers but hey, they don't get anywhere near a CLX for the price everywhere else, and THAT is a LOT of other places...realism, microdynamics, imaging, soundstage depth and width, openness around each instrument ETC.

I got USED to every other speaker I've owned but the CLX? Now this is a speaker I LOVE more and more!

Try some Allen Taylor (Colour to the MOON), Hans Thessink or James Taylor. Super music for guitar and vocals.

For female, the CLX really get Tracy Chapman's voice correct. She can be very heavy sounding on lesser speakers, with poor resolution.

For some amazing harmony, try Peter Paul and Mary. The ability of the CLX to BLEND yet retain individuality to each voice is simply over the top.

Don't be afraid to use some ROCK, Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon will be like you're on a different planet than the MOON on the CLX. Microdynamic detail that pulls even more music into the mix!

Hola...also try Quality of Silence by Steve Davis Project, Double Bass Rarities by Barbara Sanderling, Flamenco by Pepe Romero, Dancing in the Dark by Beggie Adair, All We Are Saying by Bill Frisel, Paganini Concerto for Violin No. 2 "La Campanella" by Salvatore Accardo playing the violin, You and the Night and the Music, by Alan Broadbent, Coloreando, by Marta Gomez, will show her natural latin voice with incredible harmonic textures...just to recommend a few...there are so many great recordings, happy listening!

Roberto, I'm glad you got Coloreando. Isn't it wonderful?

You should get "Suerte" by Abed Azrie and Pedro Aledo. It's a Spanish/Arabic mix, and has guitar, voice, handclaps, etc....flamenco stuff.

Roberto,
I have a question about CLX setup. When it comes to side wall measurement, is it from the sidewall to the inside edge of the CLX or the outside edge of the CLX?? Also, what about the seperation of the speakers - i.e. is it from the center of the speaker to speaker OR edge to edge??

Appreciate your input.

Regards,
Suresh

Hola…as you had notice, my room is very small, but it does not matter at all. What I get is superb! It is from the edge of the speaker. Try to do an isosceles triangle from the inside panels ( mid-range and highs panels ). Use the flashlight technique. This helps a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWP6Bq8rHw The most important thing is to make them disappear, and that it is a easy task with your CLXs. The distance of your back wall, allows you to choose where do you want to seat, as you get closer to the wall, closer you are at the stage where the musician(s) are performing for you. 2.5 feet to 3 feet is ideal. Also towing them, as soon as you did the flashlight adjustment, a half inch or so, you can tune for the proper distance of the stage. Room treatments is advised too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckoqpBmS_mw I hot that this can help to you a little bit, Suresh. Happy listening!

Last edited:
If you like Allen taylor, get his stuff from Stockfisch - it's the best recording I have heard on CDs - the Stockfisch album Closer to the Music 1 has an Allan taylor number which is great

Try some Allen Taylor (Colour to the MOON), Hans Thessink or James Taylor. Super music for guitar and vocals.

For female, the CLX really get Tracy Chapman's voice correct. She can be very heavy sounding on lesser speakers, with poor resolution.

For some amazing harmony, try Peter Paul and Mary. The ability of the CLX to BLEND yet retain individuality to each voice is simply over the top.

Don't be afraid to use some ROCK, Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon will be like you're on a different planet than the MOON on the CLX. Microdynamic detail that pulls even more music into the mix!

Back