Goosebump factor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resprung

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I had an interesting dealership experience -- on a slow day, the clerk was happy to swap speakers and amps in the demo room for a while. When he set up the then just-launched ML Electromotions with a McIntosh integrated, I sat listening with goosebumps for 10 minutes. Intense experience, and I knew I'd found the sound I'm looking for.
In the end I said, man you better turn that off. He said, I know... I bought them too ;-)

Here's finally my question:
I've bought a pair of ESLs now, and they are great even with my Exposure 2010S amp.
Which amp, aside from the pricy McIntosh, can recreate my goosebump experience?
I guess I'm looking for similar sound, but at a lower price.
Best, R

Thanks for the response.
The dealer's room is not all that great - it's a smaller shop.
I am fortunately able to try out different speaker placements at home - short-wall, long wall, for the best performance, and will give this time and patience.
Regarding amplifier, which integrated tube amp can give a similar sound as the McIntoshes - Primaluna? Rogue? Red Wine?
Best, R

Room acoustics make a bigger difference than amps.

respectfully disagree. Room acoustics will help, but a good amp will change everything dramatically. Resprung, read this: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...quently-asked-question-on-this-site-READ-THIS!!

There are lots of fantastic amplifiers for ML ESL's, McIntosh is a good choice. Don't be afraid to buy used. The fun begins with placement, then the right amp, then upstream components, cables.... you're on your way.. enjoy the ride.

Oh man, I hopping this thread wasn't some how connected to Gordon's "So I decided to go naked" thread but I chose to look anyway.

resprung, I think you need to look the synergy of your system. Borrow some different amps and see how they compare to your Exposure. Experience how the sound changes in your room. Use some blankets or large pillows for absorption in critical areas. Trial and error is the only way you will know which upgrade is worth the price. Your goose bumps may be created from a detailed sound slightly to greatly different than others.

Read what others have to say about their amps. Look for a description of what they are hearing that might compare to what you are looking for. That's at least a place to start.

Sorry Gordon, I couldn't help it. :)

Great answers. Thanks, guys!
The journey is the destination, and there's nice music all along the way. Charles Mingus right now.
Best -R

Why don't you just borrow or rent your dealer's Mcintosh amp for a day or two and see if you can tell a difference.

Agree with beanbag except for one caveat.

I'd spend some time with your current set up (a minimum of a week or two) so that you are very familiar with its sonic qualities. Suggest using various music genres that you enjoy during this "learning" phase.

Doing so should make it easier for you to identify differences and whether or not they are worth the additional dollars involved in the upgrade.

Do experiment with azimuth angle. I'd suggest getting very close to perpendicular. A simple but ear opening tweak.

Also, make sure the Mac amp is fully broken in before auditioning.

GG

PS: I was hoping my thread title would make people laugh.

Last edited:
Regarding amplifier, which integrated tube amp can give a similar sound as the McIntoshes - Primaluna? Rogue? Red Wine?
Best, R

You'll only get the McIntosh sound from... a McIntosh amplifier. Save your pennies :)

The Exposure sound is well suited to Martin Logans. They make a very nice amplifier. If you want a bigger. more powerful Exposure sound than what you've got, go for the Exposure 3010S2 - awesome amp.

If you want to try someone totally different, consider the NAD 390DD. I'm not a big NAD fan, but this little baby will rock your socks off and will make your ESLs do handstands.

Do you generally know the sound you like...and keep it straight in your head (not too easy, actually). To make head way, you need a reference. My method of using "seasons" to mentally place a component works pretty well. Of course, the more you listen the more re arranging you have to do as the rankings are relative to what you've heard;

SUMMER - Warm, soft and big sound. Think of a big old maple tree all leafed out. A BIG soft image against a light blue moisture laden light blue cloud filled sky. Less detail and dynamics tend to carry everything with them low to higher. Chesty midrange sounds.
FALL - OK, we've lost a lot of leaves but still have color. The tree is in more relief against the rest of the world. The air is more warm than cool with fewer clouds, and less moisture in the air carries a crisper image. So, you are starting to get better detail but still a "bloomy" warmer sound. Vocal chestyness fads some as there is a more COOL tone to things with a more open sound between instruments. Still the sound is warmer than cool.
WINTER - COOL is the word here. Naked branches in stark relief against a clear and dark blue sky. Intensely detailed sound and pretty with the right gear. The musical canvas is winter white and neutral. Nothing is there that isn't carried into the picture. This is a fast, crisp sound that knows exactly where it wants to go, and what sounds should come with it. Bass dynamics don't carry the lower midrange with it. There is excellent detail and openness around each instrument. Microdynamics are is stark relief to the other musical information no matter how detailed. Warmth is carried by the recording, not the electronics. But, be careful as a "crisp" amp that gets there with higher frequency over shoot can fool you into initially liking an amp that is actually summer or fall with a harsh upper texture /brightness.
SPRING - More cool than warm. The sky stays pretty dark blue but there is a warmth that is felt even on cooler days that says "spring". Just a hint of warmth is suggested as the trees buds are a soft green relief against a still mostly dry and blue sky. This is probably the best compromise to my ear as it can take the edge off a lot of bad CD recordings.

Call it the king of corny, but it works. I bought the CLX as I like the MUSIC to carry the warmth into the environment, not the equipment. A winter or fall piece is most transparent to the sound as it adds less that isn't in the recording. But yes, you can build a stereo to play THAT record super well as it is now a tone control. Me, I just admit not all stuff is recorded well and push to a system that is most neutral. I've had systems that only sound good on the "ends" of my music (one only) and this really limits my musical enjoyment as the ends have fewer statistical points of interest. I want music to be music, not a tube or a transistor.

The whole concept of high-end audio is neutrality yet we buy tone controls. Once you start doing this, it is REALLY hard to neutralize it out. Two neutral devices are easier to manage than one WARM and one COOL device played against each other.

I listened to SEVERAL amplifiers; Boulder, MOON, OCTAVE (tube), Plinus (class A) and that French class D design (can't spell it) along with a few more (the amps I had). ALL were different sounding. I bought the amp that sounded best on a wide range of music, which was a MOON W-8 (through my PASS LABS XP-10 that I brought along) through. Yes, you can still goof as I used high-resolution dynamic driver speakers, and NOT the CLX (didn't sell them). But, using several sets of speakers, I always liked the same amplifier for an evenhanded presentation. That's really a lie, as I did like some REAL expensive amps but could not afford them! But, I KNEW where I needed to try to get to with what I could afford.

Tom is giving sensible advice. (The OP's question concerned amplifiers.) Room acoustic is indeed the "other half of your hifi system" but without an appropriate amplifier you are going nowhere.

To Tom's input I would add that you should prefer dual-mono configuration to a stereo amp or individual monoblocs if you can handle the extra cost, and also ensure as much power supply capacitance as you can get, as both represent a sonic step forward (with Stats at least).
Specs illustrating the classic doubling of power into progressively reducing loads can be misleading. It's essential that you arrange demos and test them for yourself.
It's troublesome but worth it. Most dealers of repute will let you keep each amp for a couple of weeks to help you get attuned to the sound.
Good luck :)

Thanks for the thoughtful advice, everyone!
I've got lots to go on now. Will probably arrange with my dealer for a loaner amp, as suggested.
I live close to Copenhagen, so amazing stuff is on offer, not least locally produced Densen, Audio Classic and Gato. My favourite place carries Croft, Manley and Parasound. The no-nonsense chain carries Nad and Classé. The oil sheik shop carries Unison, EAR and AirTight.
There's more than one correct answer, it seems, with just a sort of consensus that Martin Logans are a nice match with McIntosh and Ayre.
Best -R.

I am using a msb s200 power amp and it produces goose bumps , especially with a good pre amp like audio research or tom evans vibe

Back