Summits Vs Theos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbannas

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing everything around in my 15' x 20' media room. (50% music 50% movies)
I am looking at either picking up a pair of used Summits or used Theos to go with my Stage center.
Are the Summits worth $1000-1500 more than the Theos?

Equipment
------------
Denon 4520 Receiver
Cayin 265AI Class A Integrated
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray
Sony 9000ES CD
Music Hall 25.3 DAC
eD A5-350 Sub
Sony HW50ES PJ
Sonos, Logitech Transporter, HTPC, Dune 3D
Various Power, Speaker, and IC Cables: Audience, Shunyata, Harmonic Technology, Analysis Plus

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest the Theos, as it has excellent panel to woofer integration. You already have a sub, so low-end is not critical, but good mid-bass behaviour is, and the Theos is better than a summit in that regard.
It will also integrate better for multichannel given your room dimensions.

I'd suggest taking the saved $$'s and get a second sub, as I believe your 4520 support SubHT (2 subs with level/delay adjustments in Audyssey), follow the Harman paper guidelines for multi-sub setups. In your case with 2, one at mid-front wall and one at mid-back wall are good starting places.

You think the mid-bass is better in the Theos even with the dual controls and amp'd subs on the Summits?
I realize the woofer to panel integration is better on the Theos, but I was thinking the larger panel size, 25 and 50 Hz controls, amplified subs, etc would make the Summits better.
Due to size and room layout, dual subs isn't really an option unless I sell the eD sub and get 2 smaller subs, but the 4520 does have Audyssey XT32 for dual subs.

You think the mid-bass is better in the Theos even with the dual controls and amp'd subs on the Summits?
I realize the woofer to panel integration is better on the Theos, but I was thinking the larger panel size, 25 and 50 Hz controls, amplified subs, etc would make the Summits better.
Due to size and room layout, dual subs isn't really an option unless I sell the eD sub and get 2 smaller subs, but the 4520 does have Audyssey XT32 for dual subs.

Since Theos are close in performance to Vista, which it replaced, I happened to have Vista and Summit side by side on two different size rooms (close to yours). Lower frequencies turned out to be more manageable in Summit thanks to 25 and 50Hz adjustment. Vista had more of spectacular bass and Summit could be dialed in to achieve very flat frequency response at lower registers.

As of any other sound qualities like sound stage and imaging, Vista with its smaller panel stayed well below Summit's class.

Also, Vista turned out to be more power hungry! Plugging it to receiver was disaster.

For me it's no brainer, Summit is better speaker. It's only my own opinion. Never heard Theos but I wouldn't expect miracle in this case.

Last edited:
Since Theos are close in performance to Vista, which it replaced, I happened to have Vista and Summit side by side on two different size rooms (close to yours). Lower frequencies turned out to be more manageable in Summit thanks to 25 and 50Hz adjustment. Vista had more of spectacular bass and Summit could be dialed in to achieve very flat frequency response at lower registers.

As of any other sound qualities like sound stage and imaging, Vista with its smaller panel stayed well below Summit's class.

Also, Vista turned out to be more power hungry! Plugging it to receiver was disaster.

For me it's no brainer, Summit is better speaker. It's only my own opinion. Never heard Theos but I wouldn't expect miracle in this case.

I know it's not exactly what the OP requested, but my Montis easily bests the sound that came from my Vistas (which the Vistas sounded great).

If you can afford the Summits, I would definitely go for them over the Theos.

Bigger panel makes a huge difference.

I know it's not exactly what the OP requested, but my Montis easily bests the sound that came from my Vistas (which the Vistas sounded great).

If you can afford the Summits, I would definitely go for them over the Theos.

Bigger panel makes a huge difference.

x3 agree. No contest. Better bass control capabilities, 2x10" powered woofers. I had Summits for several years and have heard many ML speakers. Other than the Montis (or obviously the Summit X, CLX or Statement) it's the best of the MLs. An area no one addressed is mid bass. The Summits will win hands down. Low and prodigious bass will be challenging with 1x8" woofer in a room your size. Go with the bigger better Summits, I say, you won't regret it.

Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest the Theos, as it has excellent panel to woofer integration. You already have a sub, so low-end is not critical, but good mid-bass behaviour is, and the Theos is better than a summit in that regard.
It will also integrate better for multichannel given your room dimensions.

I'd suggest taking the saved $$'s and get a second sub, as I believe your 4520 support SubHT (2 subs with level/delay adjustments in Audyssey), follow the Harman paper guidelines for multi-sub setups. In your case with 2, one at mid-front wall and one at mid-back wall are good starting places.

given your room size and intended use, IMO, Jonathan is 100% correct. Proper integration of a second sub will due wonders, easily bettering the bass output of the Summit. Now if it were a two channel system then yes I could see the Summit argument.

Your room is very close in size to mine. I have Summits with a Stage center, and wouldn't want anything with a smaller panel. I think the Summits are well worth the upgrade in price.

Latest posts

Back