Ml sl3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedirksterrr

Reaction score
My SL3 I just washed awesome they look and sound nice . On my second speaker after washing and drying 24 hrs i plugged in got some popping with no sound awesome ! so I took the speaker panel back off discovered the black grounded wire on the stator is off . I tried to touch solder it on . didn't stay My question is what is best way to re attach the wire . The stator is metal right not plastic? to you need to use flux? I was using electrical solder . what keeps the heat from melting the plastic diaphragm? or you just heat up the stator. wanted to get another opinion before attempt to re attach . please advise. Hopefully didn't hurt it plugging it in without knowing the wire was un attached. should a pencil solder be appropriate ;)

Can you show a close-up pic of the stator where the solder joint is?
In my estimation, you will want a fairly stout (50W?) iron and larger tip. Yes, there is risk of melting film. Ask a friend who knows how to solder to help you?

Roberto, I've never been able to solder onto the panel with my 40 Watt iron. Seems like in addition to having better ears than I do, you also have better soldering skills!

You are too much Bernard...but I assure you that with that soldering iron is enough. I had repaired many broken wires and bad solder joints at the panels, blue or black wire, since I started to provide service to Martin Logan...since back at the early 1987 as I recall. That still is the soldering iron that I use for heavy jobs, like soldering a bad joint at the panels. It is important to understand that, it is that particular model that I am recommending, not any 40 watt soldering iron. Happy listening!

You are too much Bernard...but I assure you that with that soldering iron is enough. I had repaired many broken wires and bad solder joints at the panels, blue or black wire, since I started to provide service to Martin Logan...since back at the early 1987 as I recall. That still is the soldering iron that I use for heavy jobs, like soldering a bad joint at the panels. It is important to understand that, it is that particular model that I am recommending, not any 40 watt soldering iron. Happy listening!
Oh, ok. I do not have a Weller.

Back