Seeking Motion series receiver pairing advise.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msutti

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just purchased a pair of Motion 40's, 2x Motion 2's, a Motion 8 & a Dynamo 500. Any recommendations on receivers to pair with them? It will be 50/50 between music and surround. Music will vary from Eric Johnson to Led Zeppelin to classical to Latin beats...and of course local bands that we are lucky to follow in ATX. So far I've narrowed choices to a Marantz SR6008 and a Denon AVR x4000.

Thanks

I can't really speak for surround, but I have two Motion 40s and run a 2 channel system. I actually have a Marantz NR1603 (amplifier on the way) and bi-amped it does an awesome job. I have Audyssey on mine as well, but I shut it completely off.

That said, I believe Denon's are typically more bang for the buck. What's the difference in price between the two?

I went for the Denon, thanks Tch0rT. The Marantz 7008 was $1k more. I was considering more expensive speakers, when I was recommended to hear the Motion 40s. That wonderful squeezebox twitter sealed the deal. The price made it a no brainer for my use case. The old analog Denon and Mirage speakers were retired to the ranch. When my twin high school freshmen are out of the house and the cat is dead, I may graduate to ESL's. If you have a cat, the metal grilles are a selling point.

I went for the Denon, thanks Tch0rT. The Marantz 7008 was $1k more. I was considering more expensive speakers, when I was recommended to hear the Motion 40s. That wonderful squeezebox twitter sealed the deal. The price made it a no brainer for my use case. The old analog Denon and Mirage speakers were retired to the ranch. When my twin high school freshmen are out of the house and the cat is dead, I may graduate to ESL's. If you have a cat, the metal grilles are a selling point.

Motions are a great product. I spent hours demoing different speakers, and honestly I didn't hear anything that my ears liked better than the Motions for less than $5,000 a pair. I actually preferred the Motion 40 to the ElectroMotion, though it didn't have quite the transparency. Get yourself a good DAC and you'll be on your way.

Back