Shun Mook

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 3 resonators and a few discs, still to reach me, got them at nice discounts.

I tried the koda pre today, costs 25k and is quite good, with teo cables which are extremely expensive and consisted the best out there. Also the 15k troy grounding box. All these things are a waste of money though they can somewhat improve the system. I will be investing heavily in shun mooks though. Also mullard tubes, and top them with SM resonators, though I have too try them out first

The tube resonators are a bit bats I think. The opposite of dampers, some microphonic small signal tubes will probably do the same thing:D I have some pinched chest E80CC Valvo tubes that are pretty microphonic. It is a bit like listening to vinyl in the sense that you can detect a similar trait to vinyl in the sound when used in the Lampizator.

Below: Shun Mook clamp on one of my fave turtables lookswise shot at Silverstone 2009. Someone paid £1300 2nd hand for one of those on your thread!

Attachments

• SDC11756.jpg
    SDC11756.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 286
  • SDC11757.jpg
    SDC11757.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 308
  • SDC11758.jpg
    SDC11758.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 239
I might also invite frank tchang down from Paris to treat my room. Look him up

I am not much into TTs, the distributor did demo me that clamp and a more expensive one (4000) of another brand, the other brand made a bigger diff, though I couldn't be bothered. The 4k one looked beautiful though.

I have been talking to some of the S&M community and it's a bit like the MLO forum - everyone has a similar taste in panels and hear similar things between CLX, EM ESL, and Wilson - with SM we all hear and agree on things. I will also try Synergistic Research ART

I have been talking to some of the S&M community and it's a bit like the MLO forum - everyone has a similar taste in panels and hear similar things between CLX, EM ESL, and Wilson - with SM we all hear and agree on things. I will also try Synergistic Research ART
"S&M"? Usually makes me think of whips and other such stuff!

Hola Chicos...the magic of Mpingo. Mpingo means divine wood that sings. It is a very special ebony. Here is a little story behind. There is an Orient Temple where there are two big statues, one at the left side and other at the right side laying at the back of the room and are made of this divine wood. There is no sound system, but you can understand perfectly to the priest, being you in any part of the Temple. This Temple started to become more popular, so it started to get crowded, so the statues were removed, and then, just out of the place, nobody could understand nothing. The echo was enormous. Then put the statues back, and everybody could understand again the priest. Wow! A magic statues!. I am a believer of what the SMD can do to my system. I feel sorry for those who can not enjoy these wonderful tweaks for good to any system. It is not mambo jambo. The discs have a patented pending. Here is a clue "... looking at a section of the wood it consists of thousands of tubes, or its cellular structure is like a micro-sized pipe organ. When energy makes contact with this material it creates multiple vibrations of the most complexity within its body. Vibrating strings when stretched on this wood gives out a complex but musical tone to the human ear. On the other hand a plastic fingerboard on a string instrument will create another pattern, but a pattern of a not so musical sound..." "... The Shun Mook disc is like a musical instrument, receiving sound energy from the speaker and then become excited, resonates and releases a sympathetic resonance of a musical character to its surrounding. Our invention is making a disc that will resonate at an enhanced rate with the effect of masking the non-musical frequencies and harmonics while amplifying the natural musical tone spectrum. It is acting like a tiny amplifier in a sense that it will energize, absorb, resonate and radiate to its surroundings..." http://shunmook.com/explained/HK-TN-0388- Shun Mook Mpingo Discs Acoustic Test -LH.pdf

Some of you might think that all Mpingo users are biased...but the truth is, you do not know what you are missing, until you became a user! Trust your ears...they will tell you the truth...and I do trust in mines. I do respect the ones that think this is snake oil, but I truly feel sorry for them, because are not enjoying the benefits that they give to any sound system. As I always say, sound is like food, you might like it or not. It is like bouquet, condiment or spicy for better taste. Others do not. Happy listening!

As I always say, sound is like food, you might like it or not. It is like bouquet, condiment or spicy for better taste. Others do not. Happy listening!
Compadré, your English may not be perfect, but I always enjoy reading your poetic way of expressing stuff.

If I were to buy just one disc would I be able to hear a difference, or do you have to buy them in threes?

Below: Shun Mook clamp on one of my fave turtables lookswise shot at Silverstone 2009. Someone paid £1300 2nd hand for one of those on your thread!
It's one of my fave turntables looks-wise too. How is it sound-wise?

That clamp is $2,800 (£1,513) new, here.

The dealer has a 14-day trial/return scheme. I may try a disc ($70 here).

Bernard...try to demo 3 SMD (shun mook discs) discs, and put them on top of any component, in an equilateral triangle shape, 8 inches apart, the logo facing down. Also, there is a pointer (a little dot) at the side of each SMD. Place this dot as follows: the left SMD at 7 o'clock, the middle SMD at 6 and the right at 5. Now play your favorite music and listen for a change. The size of the stage, and the position of the musician(s) had changed for better steady image. Also, the harmonic texture had changed. Play soloist music like piano or guitar for easier understanding what it is happening to the sound. You also might do it with vocals. Some people might find that this is not a very important change, others say that the change is dramatic for good, like me. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Hi Bernard, I would say demo with 3 on each component, and 1 each at the back of the panel. There are instructions given on how to place these, which need to be followed. There are also placements for first reflections and for between the speakers, but you can try those later.

I suggest visiting someone who has done this before you the five, else it's similar to someone hearing that Martin Logan is good and trying out their Motion speakers only.

Kedar, I visited Roberto at Christmas (we spent an afternoon listening to music), and I very briefly listened to his system with and without some Shun Mooks; it was maybe 15 seconds. I was more interested in listening to his CLXes, so I can't say anything definitive about Shun Mook. I do want to try them as Roberto has high praise for them, and I was impressed with his aural acuity.

Roberto pointed me to some used ones reasonably priced, so I'm going to buy three. If I don't like them, Roberto is going to buy them off me. How's that for a deal? He's a gentleman and a scholar!

I also bought 3 giant diamond resonators
Hola Kedar, when you get the Shun Mook bug, you want them all. It is like discovering a new way of listening to the sound of the music, at your own system. Richer, fuller, warmth, harmonic texture, image, air between instruments. Here is a recording where one of the tenors (Take Six) that sings "A Cappella" the song "Take Away, Jordan". Without the SMD, one tenor, his voice appears to be taller than the other singers...just put the SMD on top of your preamplifier, and now his voice is at the same height with the other singers. Also adds spacious and naturalness between them. This is a great demo disc for SMD. Happy listening!

Hola Kedar, when you get the Shun Mook bug, you want them all. It is like discovering a new way of listening to the sound of the music, at your own system. Richer, fuller, warmth, harmonic texture, image, air between instruments. Here is a recording where one of the tenors (Take Six) that sings "A Cappella" the song "Take Away, Jordan". Without the SMD, one tenor, his voice appears to be taller than the other singers...just put the SMD on top of your preamplifier, and now his voice is at the same height with the other singers. Also adds spacious and naturalness between them. This is a great demo disc for SMD. Happy listening!

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if you already mentioned this similar and recently highly regarded product:
http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/hft-highend-products-of-the-year-2013-gold-awards/

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance if you already mentioned this similar and recently highly regarded product:
http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/hft-highend-products-of-the-year-2013-gold-awards/

Hi these are supposed to be pretty good - especially the who Synergistic ART system - and I spoke to a couple of guys who have both. Both said that Shun Mook gives you a warmer sound, and if you already have a warm system, use Synergistic to keep it neutral. One of them uses a mix of both. The is also something called Acoustic Systems by Frank Tchang which works on similar lines. People with very high end systems that use these seem to have a 100 or so of these discs (crazy) and keep adding them instead of changing components and also prefer it to bass traps/diffusors, and I can see why. I will demo the Synergistc sometime over summer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back