Shun Mook

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, please respect the OP.

I bought 30 discs, got a good price on them, actually almost 1/4 by UK prices

Guys, please respect the OP.

I bought 30 discs, got a good price on them, actually almost 1/4 by UK prices
Did you say full price there is 70 quid? They're $70 here.

After you place them, I'd like to know where you got the best results.

Here it's in GBP. I am going to be while experimenting - but that day a dealer demoed a pari of speakers at my place and we immediately got results when I placed a wooden block that comes with 3 discs on it on either of the speaker (those were sourced from elsewhere)

I am doing some changes to my system, but will try them on other systems I demo. Doing the Kingsound King and Soundlabas over the next couple of weeks

You found a Soundlab owner - well done. Pretty rare in the UK. The Kingsounds are pretty cheap relatively and not that great IMHO - at least not at the shows I've heard them at.

I will also get to listen to Audio Exklusiv in Germany next month - considered better than MLs by people who have heard both (very few). Also go deeper.

Oh so you have heard them? What did you think of thei midrange and bass compared to MLs?

I've heard all the Quads. I actually like restored 57s the best. Not good for bass by a long way, though.

The 2905s - not my cup of tea. They can do deepish bass but they sound a bit veiled and lacking in dynamics. I'd take Summits over them.

Sorry I meant the Exklusivs. I have heard Quads, don't like them

Roberto & Kedar,

I've been spending more time listening to my system with those disks on the CDP, and must say that they do make a difference. There is more separation of instruments (which Roberto pointed out at the start), and the instruments seem to be better defined; in addition there is more clarity all-round. On one recording (Marta Gomez) there is an accordion on the right that was clearly there before, but was better defined with the disks in place (it was more apparent). I will not be selling you the disks Roberto :)

Now for the negatives (but I believe that can be tweaked): I found that they accentuated sibilants, and made the guitar sound hard. In addition, on one track that had the singer dead centre, she shifted to the left speaker when the disks were in place.

So guys, how do I tweak them to correct the negatives while retaining the positives?

Wish I had another three disks to play with on the preamp simultaneously. And another three......

Bernard, this will just allow you to see if there is a difference. It won't allow you to enjoy the music - minimum is 3 on each component, one for each panel.

Also there is a small wooden block with 3 stuck on it to be kept at first reflection points or next to the sides of the speakers on the floor.

Once you have these, you can try one between the speakers, one on each binding post of speaker and amp, etc. I know a guy who had a 100 discs.

You might also want to look at the Ziplex ( http://www.stereotimes.com/accZiplex112811.shtml ) - Justin, Greg is selling these

Hola Bernard. Moving the edge point (little dot on each lateral side of the disc) outwards will decrease the high frequency and will boost the bass. On the other hand, if you do not have a center image, then it is, because it was not recorded at the dead center. Your system before the SMD were showing you that it might be at the center, but it is not. Listen to this track carefully. If that particular voice moves, then, all the other voices should move too, if the discs were doing something fishy to the stage. It is only one track, not all of them, good question, why you have this? The SMD is showing to you the right ambiance and the right image of that particular track. Read the little instructions pamphlet, look at the drawings of how to place them around. Remember this: the SMD logo facing down, and an: equilateral triangle of 8" on top of the CDP. Left SMD pointing at 7 o'clock, center SMD at 6 o'clock and the right SMD at 5 o'clock. This is the standard position. If you move the SMD edge dot clockwise, you will decrease the high frequency overall audio spectrum and will boost the bass energy. To my ears, this is a wonderful tweak. It is the best snake oil available (for others, not for me)! :ROFL:Happy listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back