townshend stella stands under summit x

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you Kedar. There was something very nice about the bass in the sound of that Cabasse system. And getting that down firing woofer further off the floor is probably good too, as you say.

Carpeted floors have the advantage of absorbing the undesirable bass harmonics. Putting a hard surface in between eliminates that advantage. Obviously, if you're already on a hard floor...

Nonetheless, it would be interesting and instructive to see some before/after measurements, so we could actually see what, if anything, is happening.

I am on a carpeted floor. That said, I have tried spiking on the carpet directly, on granite (which was the worst) and on auralex. The auralex was the best for spiking. The Townshend was better, but the hole in the stands that caused the improved sound let the sound straight through to my neighbours below, hence i gave it to Phil

I am on a carpeted floor. That said, I have tried spiking on the carpet directly, on granite (which was the worst) and on auralex. The auralex was the best for spiking. The Townshend was better, but the hole in the stands that caused the improved sound let the sound straight through to my neighbours below, hence i gave it to Phil

Hi Bonzo. Could you expand on which Auralex model you had used, and liked? I would love to find a product that will reduce the transmission of sound through my floor into my neighbors unit. Thanks!

Get the gramma. Below that, I put anti-vibration mat that is used under washing machines. Well send that link to you later as I need to dig it out

Not to long ago people were suggesting the summit x spikes for the summits so to be able to penetrate there carpet for solid connection to the floor an make angle adjustments. Is this not the way any more? My summits set on carpet with the down firing driver firing into the carpet. Should I put a hard surface under it or leave alone? Any Suggestions ?

I hated the granite preferred the carpet more and the gramma much more. I now spike into the gramma. If you want to spend 5 times that buy my Townsend

Not to long ago people were suggesting the summit x spikes for the summits so to be able to penetrate there carpet for solid connection to the floor an make angle adjustments. Is this not the way any more? My summits set on carpet with the down firing driver firing into the carpet. Should I put a hard surface under it or leave alone? Any Suggestions ?
If you're happy with the way it sounds now, leave it as is.

I put a piece of hi density mdf board under each summit using the summits on spikes to mount them on. I have carpeted floors. Seems to be working ok.. Any comments?

I know this thread is talking about isolating speakers from the floor but how do you feel about this concept being used towards sub woofers?

I know this thread is talking about isolating speakers from the floor but how do you feel about this concept being used towards sub woofers?

I bought my F15 from some guy that put one of these isolators under it. He also had a pair of JC1 monoblocks, so if you assume that the amount of money somebody throws into their system is an indicator of their auditory authority...

On the other hand, I think it is a stupid idea, unless you want to turn your subwoofer into a bipole, LOL.

Last edited:
Question regarding Summit X setup on a Townshend Stella.

Should I place the speaker on the stand with the spikes and the legs attached or should I take them off and then place it on the stand?

Take off the legs

Hi bonzo,

But don't you give more height to the speaker if you leave the legs on? Or the height made by the stand is good enough?

another question: If you take the legs off, you cannot adjust the rake of the speakers anymore (to make it laid back a little), does it matter?

The height of the stand makes up.

Also yes, they will lean back aa bit, and if you want to adjust that, you can leave the feet on (with or without the spike), but the sound will change. You can then choose what you prefer

The height of the stand makes up.

Also yes, they will lean back aa bit, and if you want to adjust that, you can leave the feet on (with or without the spike), but the sound will change. You can then choose what you prefer

Thanks Again.

well been using these for a bit now and they really do make the sound more real . I am reluctant to take off the spikes as I might damage them getting them in the holes and they adjust the height .

they also look rather good , p.s they are mounted on wood otherwise the feet dig in to the carpet and make movement impossible

The best way to use them it's take all legs of the Logan. Major difference, this way you have only increased height of the woofer, not decoupled it enough. And that granite still spoils the sound

Summit X Legs.jpg
The best way to use them it's take all legs of the Logan. Major difference, this way you have only increased height of the woofer, not decoupled it enough. And that granite still spoils the sound

Hi bonzo,

When you say "all legs", do you mean all the parts in the red circle that I pointed out in this picture?

Since I'll be using the Stella on a tile floor, do I need to put a piece of wood or anything else under the Stella? Or shoud it be in direct contact with the tile?

Last edited:
Back