Mac Mini Upgrades

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you who use a Mac Mini have tried the upgrades to it available from Core Audio and Mojo Audio. The upgrades replace the switching power supply with an external linear power supply, and a filter inserted into the space previously occupied by the switching power supply.

http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/building-the-ultimate-mac-mini-music-server/

http://www.mojo-audio.com/media-server-packages/

Core Audio also has an "Atomic Platform" that you insert under the Mac to reduce vibration.

http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/atomic-mac-mini-platform/

Nope. Bernard, if I thought they'd actually improve SQ, I'd buy them in a second.

But that's just me. YMMV etc.

I spent some time in their room at RMAF last year and almost bought one of the isolation bases just because they had a pretty good sale on them at the show. If they have the same deal again this year I'll probably do it.

I suppose one could debate the merits of the base, but it is a similar approach to the mechanical grounding and mass loading that takes place elsewhere in audio.

The power supply upgrades were clearly audible though. They had both a non-modified Mac Mini and the fully modified unit with external power supply there to demonstrate the differences, switching back and forth on the same piece of music and there was more substance to everything I heard through the modified unit. The external supply is suprizingly large, easily twice the size of the Mac Mini itself, although of dissimilar aspect, and quite heavy

Upgraded power supplies are pretty common in a lot of audio gear, so I'm curious why you don't think it would be of any benefit RUR?

Last edited:
Nope. Bernard, if I thought they'd actually improve SQ, I'd buy them in a second.

But that's just me. YMMV etc.

Fully agree.

Don't waste your money Bernard. The Mac (or any computer for that matter) is a data device - it contains data only. Unless the upgrade can also improve data quality within the computer; or spelling quality; or the quality of the content you put on MLO; or the quality of your photos, then it cannot improve audio quality either.

Of course - YMMV.

But honestly - spend that money on a better DAC - preferably one with better isolation between the data and clocked audio forms. Or a streaming system and get the [electrically and acoustically] noisy computer out of the listening room altogether.

Especially on the last point - if someone sold amplifiers or DACS as noisy as a computer you'd return it within 10 seconds as defective. Why audiophiles happily accept computers in their listening rooms is beyond my comprehension. All that effort Mr Pass, Mr D'Agostino and comrades put into getting their amplifier noise down to -122.64dB (or whatever).......wasted.

Last edited:
Or a streaming system and get the [electrically and acoustically] noisy computer out of the listening room altogether.
You find the Mac Mini to be acoustically noisy, Adam? I sure as heck can't hear mine, even nearfield.

You find the Mac Mini to be acoustically noisy, Adam? I sure as heck can't hear mine, even nearfield.

Neither can I. In fact, it is one of the reasons why Mac Minis are so popular among audiophiles.

As for whether upgrading the power supply is worth it, I don't know, but too many people have reported good results to not give it some consideration. In my experience, any potential upgrade to the power network, whether it be power cords, power supplies, or even wall outlets, results in improved sound IF you select the right equipment.

Bernard,

You might know about and have already done some of these, but as far as getting better sound from a Mac Mini is concerned, I would rank the following improvements I have experience with as such:

1) More memory. Going from 2gb to 8gb RAM will blow you away;
2) A high quality (notice I did not say expensive) USB converter, even if your DAC has a USB input. I probably should have put this #1. Getting a good one is like getting a new DAC.
3) Isolate, both in terms of physically away from the DAC and vibration control-RFI/EMI management. Synergistic Research makes some expensive isolation platforms that some Mac Mini users love, but you don't have to spend that kind of money to improve in this area. Core Audio's platform has been well received;
4) Solid state hard drive. Not as much impact as upgrading RAM, but definitely worth it.
5) I upgraded the power cord on my Mac Mini with excellent results.

If you are not already aware of it, computeraudiophile.com is a great resource for all of this. Sometimes the discussion can get bogged down into the hyper-technical (at least from my perspective), but there is more than enough great information to make it worthwhile. This guy went nuts in upgrading his Mini: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...e-pocket-server-music-server-step-step-17666/. A much less involved upgrade process is discussed in this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/macmini-how-best-spend-buck-17024/.

Last edited:

Okay, my bad on that comment. I don't have one so I don't really know how noisy it is. I made that comment purely on what I know of hard disks and forced-air movement.

On those grounds, it must make some noise; and some noise would be too much for me - but I confess I don't know for sure.

I'd be amazed if it was in the order of -120dB, but again - I can't say if it is or not.

Sorry if my comment was misleading.

Okay, my bad on that comment. I don't have one so I don't really know how noisy it is. I made that comment purely on what I know of hard disks and forced-air movement.
I understand why you would make the assumption, Adam, but the damned thing is virtually silent. If I put my ear within a few inches, I can barely hear it. From a foot away, nothing. Quite remarkable, really.

A lot of very interesting responses; thanks. I don't yet have a Mac Mini (not on the budget radar), but it is something I definitely want to get at some point.

Just use the optical digital output. An added benefit is that you have electrical isolation.
As for noise, yes I can hear the hard disk click, and if I use more than about 30% CPU, I can hear the fans spin up.

Last edited:
Just use the optical digital output. An added benefit is that you have electrical isolation.
As for noise, yes I can hear the hard disk click, and if I use more than about 30% CPU, I can hear the fans spin up.

If hard drive noise is the culprit try switching to SSD. Quieter and pretty huge performance gains.

Performance gains?

Solid State drives provide much faster read/writes than a standard spinning hard drive. They run very cool as well.

Upgrading an old hard drive to a SSD might be the single best upgrade to a PC, imo.

People are amazed at the new life they give their PC's.

Last edited:
I don't know about mac mini, but better power usually results in immediate audible gains with sources and preamps (less with amps). No reason why it should not be the same with a mac mini. A/Bing a macbook with a CDP and the lampizator transport into my dac, the difference was huge, and the power supply could be one reasons for the differences. With the Macbook the soundstage was flat, less musical and less detailed. Everything much less. Also soundstage goes out wide and comes into the room with the other transports which have better power.

This thing is worth trying at least, to see if it works

Got this reply from a guy on What's Best who, imo, totally knows his stuff and has experimented a lot.

"My Mac Mini is on a battery power supply (Red Wine Audio Black Lightning), the OS is on a SDHC card, the player and music tracks are buffered to a RAMdisk and the Mini is on Stillpoints on top of a Synergistic Tranquility Base: these tweaks make for a night-and-day difference in performance over a stock Mini. I had the $17K EMM TSDX transport to match my DAC2X and the modded Mini left it in the dust"

Got this reply from a guy on What's Best who, imo, totally knows his stuff and has experimented a lot.

"My Mac Mini is on a battery power supply (Red Wine Audio Black Lightning), the OS is on a SDHC card, the player and music tracks are buffered to a RAMdisk and the Mini is on Stillpoints on top of a Synergistic Tranquility Base: these tweaks make for a night-and-day difference in performance over a stock Mini. I had the $17K EMM TSDX transport to match my DAC2X and the modded Mini left it in the dust"
I wonder how much that setup cost him.

He is a bit crazy about using stillpoints and isolation on everything. He would be better off using shun mook resonators

...a guy on What's Best who, imo, totally knows his stuff...
Alas, I've read countless fact-based discussions from folks who imo "know their stuff", who would vigorously argue that WTF guy is deep in cognitive bias territory, Kedar.

Back