Recommendations for banana plugs for Vista speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upinsmoke

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was looking for a recommendation for banana plugs that would fit Vista speakers. I've tried a few different kinds but none of them seem big enough and just sit loose in the sockets. Maybe an adjustable width one? I'm open to suggestions. May just go to spades if this seems like too much ($) to get right.

Thanks!

Banana

That's strange. I have Vistas and they accept standard banana plugs. Are you sure you're not using Pins?

th.jpg
thTJCGI62W.jpg

The first picture is a banana plug, the second are speaker pins.

Could you upload a picture of the back panel of your vistas? The binding post nuts are tightened down, right? silly question, I know.

When I get home sure. This has been an issue with them since I bought them but have just been living with the problem. After putting some new gear in the rack and a major rewiring trying to figure out an EMI issue they kept falling out of the right speaker (same for left but that one I only had to move once).

It has the 2 pairs for biwiring with jumper between them. All 4 are tightened all the way down.

Could you upload a picture of the back panel of your vistas? The binding post nuts are tightened down, right? silly question, I know.

No that's not a silly question. People do all kinds of things and sometimes forget some of the basic things to check for on problems. I think a banana plug that had a means of expanding (adjustable) would take care of the issue.

You can find "expandable" banana plugs that will provide a very secure fit. A threaded knob that expands the end of the plug when adjusted.

I've also been told that some prefer the "Z plug". I use the "expandable" plug.

GG

PS: Recently purchased some solid silver jumper cables from DH Labs. They utilize a spring / expansion type mechanism in their product.

I've also been told that "lugs" are the best connection. My current jumpers have lugs at one end and bananas at the other.

Last edited:
Try these. They take bare wire tightened by a screw. After you insert the plug, you turn a knurled knob so that the plug expands. This is what I use; it's impossible for them to drop out or get pulled out accidentally.

The only (minor) pain is that you have to hold the protruding pins with pliers while turning the knurled knob.

Not bad at $23.95 for a set of 8.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/locking/BL8.html

I too like 'locking bananas' such as Bernard recommends, regardless, check the connections per Julian's suggestion. If your banana's are still loose I suspect their spring tension is lost.

Try these. They take bare wire tightened by a screw. After you insert the plug, you turn a knurled knob so that the plug expands. This is what I use; it's impossible for them to drop out or get pulled out accidentally.

The only (minor) pain is that you have to hold the protruding pins with pliers while turning the knurled knob.

Not bad at $23.95 for a set of 8.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/locking/BL8.html

Thanks Bernard,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Actually the bananas I'm using now are Chiquita, I mean GLS, but not of this nature. Set of the plugs ordered. I like how they also take a larger gauge cable (currently running 10awg).

But, checking my favorite internet seller (Big A) showed a huge difference in price - $37.98 vs $47. Two day shipping - free vs. $35.

Adam,

When I hook up the jumpers to my MBL's, I use the "banana" end on the terminal where I've attached the speaker wire from the amps and then the "lug" end at the other speaker terminal.

Didn't want to have two lugs hooked up to the same speaker terminal and I think this is the best way to do this without compromising performance.

Then again, I could be wrong about the lug - lug connection.

GG

I used to have a double run of speaker cable, and never liked the spade/spade connection at the amp terminals (I have old ARC monoblocks with screw-down terminals), so I dispensed with the double run, and now use a single run, with a spade at the speaker terminal and banana-to-banana jumpers.

You can find "expandable" banana plugs that will provide a very secure fit. A threaded knob that expands the end of the plug when adjusted.

I've also been told that some prefer the "Z plug". I use the "expandable" plug.

GG

PS: Recently purchased some solid silver jumper cables from DH Labs. They utilize a spring / expansion type mechanism in their product.

I've also been told that "lugs" are the best connection. My current jumpers have lugs at one end and bananas at the other.

My first set will be Spade/Spade for the jumpers and Banana/Banana for the cables.

My first set will be Spade/Spade for the jumpers and Banana/Banana for the cables.

Why would you want to replace the existing connection between the four connectors? Why not just leave the factory metal jumper and attach the speaker cables to the top set?

Why would you want to replace the existing connection between the four connectors? Why not just leave the factory metal jumper and attach the speaker cables to the top set?

I've learned from other members on this forum that those plated metal jumpers have a negative effect on sound quality in many ways. Even ML says that they are not great, but they don't offer different options due to individual tastes in cabling. The effects are less noticeable if you wire your speakers like you've described; speaker cables to top (panel) posts, but for the cost of decent jumpers, I only see an upside to changing out the plates.

I've learned from other members on this forum that those plated metal jumpers have a negative effect on sound quality in many ways. Even ML says that they are not great, but they don't offer different options due to individual tastes in cabling. The effects are less noticeable if you wire your speakers like you've described; speaker cables to top (panel) posts, but for the cost of decent jumpers, I only see an upside to changing out the plates.

What jumpers would you recommend?

Back