New Ethos owner - and learning

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ags

Reaction score
I've finally become an owner of Martin Logan Ethos speakers. These are my first ML and first electrostatic speakers, so I presume there is much for me to learn, or at least become accustomed to.

I'm working on speaker placement. I will also likely replace my 15-year-old Marantz receiver (it was on the leading edge at the time, with support for DD and DTS decoding) since it doesn't support HDMI connections, DD+, etc.

Two questions from a noob:

1) I'm not "actively" breaking in these speakers. I figure I can just listen when I listen and along the way they will break in. Other than requiring more calendar time (duration) before breaking in, anything wrong with this?

2) I've noticed that I hear "pops" when listening to CD audio - even with discs that were only played once (to rip to a media server) and look pristine to the naked eye. I've read (and heard myself) that these speakers reveal a lot of detail in the source, and that can be good or bad based on the source. (garbage in - garbage out). I don't have any other transducers that render these pops. I've also read a bit about the dreaded arcing of ES panels, and being unexperienced wonder if there is something wrong. Is the arcing problem common? Is it a catastrophic failure, or a nuisance? If the spacing was somehow out-of-spec (manufacturing defect) would that cause this? Is there anyway for me to visually inspect for this (would there be any marks on the membrane)?

Thanks.

1) it's fine
2) rewind the track and see if the pop happens at the same time. If yes, it's the fault of your rip, and you need to do it again. If no, then you might have dust on the panels. Unplug the speakers, wait a few hours, and then vacuum them.
2.5) Try listening to a LP. I hear that since they are analog, they would never ever make a pop or any other kind of artifact noise.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding item 2: I'm listening to the CD itself, not a rip. (using a consumer-grade Samsung Blu-ray player). The "pop" does not occur at the same place each time. These speakers have <10 hours play time...

That's very strange. Take a close look at the holes in the stators for hair, dust, etc.. sounds like arcing (not common, but they're new and could be that some packing material is in there. also, darken your room and see if you can spot an arc when the speaker pops.

Try playing the music very very quietly - just enough to keep the speaker powered up and see if you can still hear the pops

That's very strange. Take a close look at the holes in the stators for hair, dust, etc.. sounds like arcing (not common, but they're new and could be that some packing material is in there. also, darken your room and see if you can spot an arc when the speaker pops.

I'll take a look in the dark. If arcing does occur, does that damage the membrane (darken, burn, puncture)? In my brief research I've run across quite a few posts about arcing - is it a common problem? Thanks.

no, it's not terribly common. I've experienced it only once in three years, and it was a hair that caused it. Since then I keep the covers on then whenever there not being used. I don't think it's going to cause any damage. The panel operates at moderately high voltage, but very low current. Let us know what you've found. If the panels are clean, you'll have to call ML in the morning.

Back