Martin Logan Descent i vs Depth i Clearance

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin mike

Reaction score
Hi i can get a descent i and a depth i for about a $500 difference. I have heard some like the depth i better than the descent i but than again specs only tell you so much does anyone have a opinion on these subs ? They only have a few left.

Last edited:
For $500 more, you should definitely go with the Descent. The MRSP difference on these used to be $1,200. You will get three dedicated amps (250 wattts each ) powering three 10-inch drivers vs. one amp (350 watts) allocated to three 8-inch drivers. The cabinet is also larger contributing to more headroom.

I am running a Descent after coming off a single driver SW - very impressive upgrade IMO. Agree with the others - if the premium is $500, do it!

I actually ordered both the descent i and the depth i they arrived yesterday i was doing a 20 to 100 hz bass sweep. I can hear 20 and 25 hz from the depth i but not from the descent i in the same location how strange. Maybe the bigger woofers in the descent along with the increase in power from the individual amps is causing a cancellation of of the frequency's between 20 to 30 hz because the descent starts to pick up 30hz and above Maybe the descent has more affect on the room. Huntindawg what single sub did you have?. I'm upgrading form a original grotto the difference is huge as i have a very open room the living room, Kitchen, Dining room And a stairwell behind my listing position is all open. I will say despite this issue and of course i know that neither one of these subs are broken in i do like the descent i better it is a much fuller sub. I still can't get over this 20 to 30 hertz thing anybody have a suggestion ?

Last edited:
I still can't get over this 20 to 30 hertz thing anybody have a suggestion ?
Sure, Martin. Invest in some measurement gear - REW or Omnimic or XTZ.

You'll thank me later.

Yes i understand that i am just curious between the 2 subs how the depth can play the 20 hz tone and the descent can't initially. Trust me i will invest in REW.

Yes i understand that i am just curious between the 2 subs how the depth can play the 20 hz tone and the descent can't initially. Trust me i will invest in REW.
How are you ensuring that each sub is producing the same dB at the listening position? I'd suggest playing, say, a 70Hz tone to verify that listening position volume at that frequency is the same for both subs, then check 20Hz to see if the Descent still isn't comparable to the Depth. Also, check to make sure that any high-pass filter, phase, gain or other settings on the Descent are the same as those for the Depth.

I set both subs in the same location hooked them up separately and i played a bass sweep from 1hz to 100 on both subs. The phase and volume are the same on both subs. Also i am using the lfe connection for the test so to me this seems very strange and also the distance when set up by audyssey calculates 13.7 feet for the depth i and 2.9 feet for the descent my physical distance is 9.8 feet which also puzzles me about the descent. But the depth seems fine for the distance calculation. And by the way both subs are crossed over at 80 hz. Any thought's.

Last edited:
Well, the difference in distance is suspicious. Are all of the controls for each sub set the same, especially gain and the high-pass filter?

Define "same location". Are you measuring one, then moving it to place the second sub in the same, exact location?

You have a PM with my phone #. This is probably far easier to sort with a real-time conversation.

Last edited:
I actually ordered both the descent i and the depth i they arrived yesterday i was doing a 20 to 100 hz bass sweep. I can hear 20 and 25 hz from the depth i but not from the descent i in the same location how strange. Maybe the bigger woofers in the descent along with the increase in power from the individual amps is causing a cancellation of of the frequency's between 20 to 30 hz because the descent starts to pick up 30hz and above Maybe the descent has more affect on the room. Huntindawg what single sub did you have?. I'm upgrading form a original grotto the difference is huge as i have a very open room the living room, Kitchen, Dining room And a stairwell behind my listing position is all open. I will say despite this issue and of course i know that neither one of these subs are broken in i do like the descent i better it is a much fuller sub. I still can't get over this 20 to 30 hertz thing anybody have a suggestion ?

It was an M&K THX certified but I dont recall the model anymore - sold it.

I have heard good thing about those subs for home theater. Im torn now I was talking to RUR he was telling me to go with power sound subwoofers. I returned the descent I last night and wow best buy was so unprofessional and tried to tell me I couldn't return it despite the issues I have with it. I mean come on volume knob very loose, top plate not closing, not hitting under 20 hz. Anyway I had a store manager approve the return I will never ever buy from best buy again. Now I am on a new adventure im thinking if I should order the descent I and try that again or just go for dual subs maybe the dynamo 1000's with the wireless and flexibility or maybe dual depths or power sound or svs. So many choices lol ahhhh.

Last edited:
Yes RuR I am kinda picky after all I want something that looks nice and has great performance in one package. And yes Huntindawg I agree this is what makes this fun and yes very expensive that's why I want to make the right choice to avoid shipping charges lol.

Last edited:
I decided to go with a SVS PB12+ i can't wait to get it. I also ordered a Omnimic v2 version. I cant wait good times.

Last edited:
Back