Using the same cables throughout?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Have those who believe cables make a difference found a synergy when using the same brand throughout, for power, speaker and ICs? Or were you ok mixing and matching brands?

Mix and Match here...............Those that know me know that I believe in the fundamental sound engineering involved in cable construction but not in the absurd nonsense that some of the pricey boutique brands like to tout.

Signal cable throughout for the most part, and yes I found an amazing synergy between price and performance. ;)

I've been doing some experimenting with cables recently. My main system has nothing but Synergistic Research throughout the system. In my newer office system I've got a mix of Synergistic (power & digital), AudioQuest (USB), Signal Cable (interconnect) and Anti-Cable (speakers). For grins one day I hooked up all of the Synergistic stuff into the office system and it did sound noticibly better. It isn't real practical to use the Synergistic in the office system due to the size of the system and the very stiff nature of the cables. The Synergistic seaker cable I use are slightly heavier than the speakers in the office system (KEF LS50's). It really did sound great together though.

All of that being said, the office system still sounds pretty good as is. The biggest difference I noticed was with the speaker cables. As another frame of reference, when I first got the Peachtree Grand Integarted I'm using in this system I only had some cheap a$$ed Monster Cable on hand. I got the Anti-Cable and I was VERY impressed with the improvement. Though not as good as the Synergistic it was amazingly close. If I were to set a rating I'd say the Monster was at a 1 with the Synergistic at a 10 and the Anti-Cable at an 8-8.5. Not at all bad for a set of speaker cables that sells for literally 1/20th of the Synergistic.

I'd say that you should find a brand you like the performance of and experiment with keeping as much in the brand as possible.

I've been doing some experimenting with cables recently. My main system has nothing but Synergistic Research throughout the system. In my newer office system I've got a mix of Synergistic (power & digital), AudioQuest (USB), Signal Cable (interconnect) and Anti-Cable (speakers). For grins one day I hooked up all of the Synergistic stuff into the office system and it did sound noticibly better. It isn't real practical to use the Synergistic in the office system due to the size of the system and the very stiff nature of the cables. The Synergistic seaker cable I use are slightly heavier than the speakers in the office system (KEF LS50's). It really did sound great together though.

All of that being said, the office system still sounds pretty good as is. The biggest difference I noticed was with the speaker cables. As another frame of reference, when I first got the Peachtree Grand Integarted I'm using in this system I only had some cheap a$$ed Monster Cable on hand. I got the Anti-Cable and I was VERY impressed with the improvement. Though not as good as the Synergistic it was amazingly close. If I were to set a rating I'd say the Monster was at a 1 with the Synergistic at a 10 and the Anti-Cable at an 8-8.5. Not at all bad for a set of speaker cables that sells for literally 1/20th of the Synergistic.

I'd say that you should find a brand you like the performance of and experiment with keeping as much in the brand as possible.

That Monster Cable Detail is good to know. I have a 100 ft roll, which I've been using to place my speakers in different locations. I'm sold on speaker cables producing vastly different results as far as sound quality, so i'll have a peek at Signal Cable and Anti-Cable. Thanks.

Julian

Hi so which anti-cable do you recommend, will sell close to a high-end synergistic? I will try to audition

DH Labs for me except for two Cardas power cords from amp and PLC to wall outlet.

I have a follow up question. How do you select cables? Obviously its tough or impossible to demo all the brands you'd wanna buy on your own system. All my cables (sonos audio cables, DAC cables) are audio quest, but I have yet to pick interconnets for my amplifiers and haven't ventured into swapping power cables.

I have a follow up question. How do you select cables? Obviously its tough or impossible to demo all the brands you'd wanna buy on your own system. All my cables (sonos audio cables, DAC cables) are audio quest, but I have yet to pick interconnets for my amplifiers and haven't ventured into swapping power cables.

There are multiple options. When I went to all Synergistic I had a dealer who was very good about letting me take home different cables for in home/in system auditions. Once I was able to do this it was very easy to hear the differences and plan a path forward. I started with power cables, because at the time it was the first cable Synergistic introduced (their original AC Master Coupler).

Another popular option is to utilize the Cable Company's lending library for the same in home auditions.

Lastly, most on line retailers will allow you returns and exchanges, although sometimes for a fee.

I'll never understand why people are so adamant about debating whether cables do or do not make a difference. With the options I've described above you can easily listen for yourself and then make a firm buying decision whether it's worth your expense or not.

Back