Sub suggestions to go with ML EMs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Difference and excitation at what frequency? What's the xover frequency?

xo at 60 hz

Capture-2.png

Last edited:
I'll take the extra 5dB and put it in my pocket.
The 5dB in the narrow dip @ ~28Hz, assuming it's real and not a measurement repeatability artifact, is likely inaudible, but @55-60 dB you're not measuring much above the LF noise floor. Try it again @ 80-85 dB.

The 5dB in the narrow dip @ ~28Hz, assuming it's real and not a measurement repeatability artifact, is likely inaudible, but @55-60 dB you're not measuring much above the LF noise floor. Try it again @ 80-85 dB.

There's some issue with Room Equilization Wizard were it is reporting my mic's output around 15 or so dB low, as compared to my SPL meter.

Also, I for some reason forgot to measure the 90 degree orientation, so here it is again:
"parallel against wall" means the sub is against the wall and shoots parallel to it.
"90 deg" means it shoots perpendicular to the wall
"parallel driver same loc" means that to be fair, I offset the sub from the wall in the parallel orientation so that the driver is in the same location.

]
Capture4.png

There's some issue with Room Equilization Wizard were it is reporting my mic's output around 15 or so dB low, as compared to my SPL meter.

Also, I for some reason forgot to measure the 90 degree orientation, so here it is again:
"parallel against wall" means the sub is against the wall and shoots parallel to it.
"90 deg" means it shoots perpendicular to the wall
"parallel driver same loc" means that to be fair, I offset the sub from the wall in the parallel orientation so that the driver is in the same location.

Dunno why you're seeing the change at ~28Hz, since behavior of a 40+ foot omnidirectional wave shouldn't change, simply because you've re-oriented the sub. Here's mine @ 0/45/90 degrees, rotating the sub indexed @ center of cone:

2ccqkog.jpg

Dark blue is 90 deg. Files are offset by 1dB each to better compare. 1/12 octave smoothing, though I ran it up to 1/96th octave without showing any new, narrow peaks/dips. Rolloff @ 25 Hz is deliberate. Changes are very minor and probably due to measurement variation and/or my ability to perfectly index the cone center.

Because nearfield.
My sub is parked against the right side of my listening chair, ~2 1/2 feet from my right ear to the driver. Difficult to get much more nearfield than that.

Last edited:
I think most people wouldn't be surprised if you told them that the front of a sub measures louder than the back side.

Also: polar angle

Last edited:
I think most people wouldn't be surprised if you told them that the front of a sub measures louder than the back side.

Also: polar angle
And here i thought we were talking about excitation of room modes (Your post #15) .

You carry on - I'm out.

Ehhhh, "excite mode", "fill null", whatever. I guess I remembered wrong.
But in any case, now that I proved my point, I will carry on and spread my message far and wide.

Ehhhh, "excite mode", "fill null", whatever. I guess I remembered wrong.
But in any case, now that I proved my point, I will carry on and spread my message far and wide.

Just so's ya know, you two fellers debating on my OP isn't really helping. Shame, because you guys know a lot more than me about audio. Just sayin'.

Just so's ya know, you two fellers debating on my OP isn't really helping. Shame, because you guys know a lot more than me about audio. Just sayin'.

RUR is a pretty helpful fellow. Beanbag, you're working very hard to prove yourself here, but it's not necessary to be the last man standing.

I made a point and showed data to back it up. What's wrong with that? Did you want me concede anything?

Beanbag, my point was that maybe the debate should have continued elsewhere instead of hijacking this thread. Unless you see nothing wrong with that, in which case I can't help ya.

Back