Do power cords matter?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafos

Reaction score
Do power cords have a significant effect on the ML's? The supplied cords are a joke.

Do power cords have a significant effect on the ML's? The supplied cords are a joke.

Yes

And No.

Think of what the cables in your wall look like. Now think about whether you feel that replacing the last meter of cable before your component will make a tangible improvement.

If you have installed a dedicated high quality circuit into your homes' electrical system for the use of you stereo, then the answer is yes, or maybe. It's all so subjective.

There are a few cable wars (documented) on this forum. My best suggestion is that you should search a few out. There are good answers there.

For the amount you would spend on power cables, you could probably get nigh on the next ML model up. Or maybe upgrade your amplifier.

I know what I'd do.

Heck - investing in a bucket of water to damp the rear wave would probably yield more improvement.

I don't believe that super high quality power cables make a big difference on MLs, but I think lower quality (thinner guage) cables can be a detriment by limiting current draw / increasing resistance. Remember that most higher end MLs need ample power not just for the high voltage panels but also for the amps powering the woofers. The included cables are insufficient in my opinion. But super expensive cables aren't necessary. That is why I have replaced all my stock power cables with ones from Signal Cable. High quality, thick guage, reasonable price. Best of all worlds, and one less thing that I have to worry about limiting the quality of sound coming from my expensive high end system.

Those who don't hear a difference when experimenting with power cords should consider themselves lucky! They could likely save themselves a fortune on audio equipment in general...not to mention that if the deficiency spread to taste buds, heck...even desire for automobiles, housing, etc., think of all the crap you could obtain and still believe you're living large!! With the Ethos and Summit X I experimented with many cords, all were different but I didn't think any improved upon Martin Logan's own upgrade CLX cord. It's cheap, and will increase depth and clarity quite significantly!!! I would equate it to tires on your car, some will be more similar, others drastically different...but in this case, yes, the one your speaker came with needs replacement and you WILL hear it!

Those who don't hear a difference when experimenting with power cords should consider themselves lucky! They could likely save themselves a fortune on audio equipment in general...not to mention that if the deficiency spread to taste buds, heck...even desire for automobiles, housing, etc., think of all the crap you could obtain and still believe you're living large!! With the Ethos and Summit X I experimented with many cords, all were different but I didn't think any improved upon Martin Logan's own upgrade CLX cord. It's cheap, and will increase depth and clarity quite significantly!!! I would equate it to tires on your car, some will be more similar, others drastically different...but in this case, yes, the one your speaker came with needs replacement and you WILL hear it!

I would equate it to paint color/how fast it goes.... but to each his/her own. I'm not judgy... if you like the sound, buy the product.

Rich has made a great point. I don't have powered ML's, so to me, the effect of a hq power cable is, imho, very limited. To those of you who have the powered bottom end, power cabling probably does make a difference. Having said all of that, speaker placement and room treatment is going to make a much larger difference. But what do I know? I'm just a guy with no sense of hearing, smell, taste, touch, or sight. I actually live in a cave. Speaking of which, I need to open some windows; it's gotten so damp in here.... :rolleyes::think::welcome::bump::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have found that PCs made a difference for me only after I had sufficiently upgrade my power grid elsewhere first. If you start with the MLs first you won't hear much difference at all as opposed to starting with dedicated lines, then upgraded recepticles, then power conditioner with upgraded PC, then upgraded PCs on amps, and only then the MLs.

I would equate it to paint color/how fast it goes.... but to each his/her own. I'm not judgy... if you like the sound, buy the product.

Rich has made a great point. I don't have powered ML's, so to me, the effect of a hq power cable is, imho, very limited. To those of you who have the powered bottom end, power cabling probably does make a difference. Having said all of that, speaker placement and room treatment is going to make a much larger difference. But what do I know? I'm just a guy with no sense of hearing, smell, taste, touch, or sight. I actually live in a cave. Speaking of which, I need to open some windows; it's gotten so damp in here.... :rolleyes::think::welcome::bump::rolleyes:
Of course it's damp and horrible...you live in Vancouver! All day, everyday...year in, year out! Oh the sound of CTV's weather girl celebrating that 23 degree heat wave in July...gotta love it! The effect a power cable will have will be noticeable on the panel, can't say I could perceive much on the lower frequencies. Vista's keep in mind, although a great speaker...I use them as surrounds, are not that resolving! I'm sure you know all these things though!!

Last edited:
Of course it's damp and horrible...you live in Vancouver! All day, everyday...year in, year out! Oh the sound of CTV's weather girl celebrating that 23 degree heat wave in July...gotta love it! The effect a power cable will have will be noticeable on the panel, can't say I could perceive much on the lower frequencies. Vista's keep in mind, although a great speaker...I use them as surrounds, are not that resolving! I'm sure you know all these things though!!

The cave I was referring to is the cave you built for me with your elitist rhetoric.

The cave I was referring to is the cave you built for me with your elitist rhetoric.
Oh, I wouldn't call actually having some knowledge from personal experience elitist. Sarcastic rants are just a little more interesting when they contain at least some degree of merit! Hmmm, reminds me...wasn't Sven Robinson from Vancouver?

Oh, I wouldn't call actually having some knowledge from personal experience elitist. Sarcastic rants are just a little more interesting when they contain at least some degree of merit! Hmmm, reminds me...wasn't Sven Robinson from Vancouver?

Yes I believe he is. Why?

The power cord shouldn't make a difference unless it has some kind of line filtering built in to prevent very high frequency noise from getting into your electronics. If the power cord is straight wire, then no, it wouldn't make a difference. And even if you thought it did, I would bet an e-dollar (i.e. not real money) that you would fail an ABX test anyway.

Guys, assuming that your system is comprised of some good quality equipment, and your Logans are of a more resolving nature...check it out for yourself!! But don't listen to those who have absolutely no personal experience of having done just that! The theorists or RadioShack folks likely have no idea. The difference in my system has not been subtle, nor would it take a "trained" ear to hear!! Now, go listen to music through Martin Logans!!!

Do power cords have a significant effect on the ML's?
No, they do not, hysterical repetition of personal anecdotes notwithstanding.

Spend your money on something which will improve SQ, like room treatment or measurement gear, etc.

Guys, assuming that your system is comprised of some good quality equipment, and your Logans are of a more resolving nature...check it out for yourself!! But don't listen to those who have absolutely no personal experience of having done just that! The theorists or RadioShack folks likely have no idea. The difference in my system has not been subtle, nor would it take a "trained" ear to hear!! Now, go listen to music through Martin Logans!!!

Well Guys? You heard the man with the expensive resolving Summits (X's?). Get out there and try some cables! And if you disagree with someone else's opinion, just tell them that they couldn't possibly understand because they've not spent enough on equipment!

Technical data is, of course, irrelevant, right?

My Vista draws 10 watts, which equates to 0.083333.... amperes at 120 VAC. Maximum. That load could safely, with no appreciable voltage drop, which would negatively affect High Voltage Panel Transformer performance, be carried by a 32 awg conductor. That is a very small diameter wire.

Since our resident expert, BeachBound, is in possession of Summits, let us work the numbers according to their maximum power draw, which is 350 watts, which equates to 2.916666... amperes. Maximum. That particular load could be safely, without any appreciable voltage drop, which would negatively affect both the panels' High Voltage Transformer and the built in amplification for the woofers' performance, be carried by a 17 awg conductor. Again, a very small conductor.

The premise on which BeachBound is operating, regarding the cables that are supplied with our MLs, is that the original equipment cable is a sub-par component that would normally be replaced by any owner who isn't a luddite. The problem with this premise, which would work very well if used to discuss low voltage/low ampacity signal carrying conductors, is that if the power supply cables supplied with any of your components were at all sub-par, and not in fact designed to take 3 times the expected current draw of your component, they would heat up due to their excessive resistance, and possibly cause a fire. So, no, BeachBound, I do not have Summits, but merely the Vistas. If that makes my opinions less valid than yours, fine by me. I'm not a theorist, at least in the way you're implying. You, however, are expounding all kinds unsubstantiated theories, based on your golden ears.

Having said all of that, if BeachBound would kindly refer to my first reply to the OPs question, he will see with his eagle eyes that I did not dismiss the difference that a power cable could make, but merely stated that the results are subjective. Perhaps BeachBound is just accustomed to having to justify the money he has spent to skeptics. I think that I'm not out of line when I say that BeachBound doesn't have to deride a persons' implied knowledge or experience of a product to make his point.

Hey Beachbound, Do you listen at 1.7?

Probably better to ensure that you have a dedicated 20 amp power outlet than power cords.

But I'm sure every bit helps.

Well Guys? You heard the man with the expensive resolving Summits (X's?). Get out there and try some cables! And if you disagree with someone else's opinion, just tell them that they couldn't possibly understand because they've not spent enough on equipment!

Technical data is, of course, irrelevant, right?

My Vista draws 10 watts, which equates to 0.083333.... amperes at 120 VAC. Maximum. That load could safely, with no appreciable voltage drop, which would negatively affect High Voltage Panel Transformer performance, be carried by a 32 awg conductor. That is a very small diameter wire.

Since our resident expert, BeachBound, is in possession of Summits, let us work the numbers according to their maximum power draw, which is 350 watts, which equates to 2.916666... amperes. Maximum. That particular load could be safely, without any appreciable voltage drop, which would negatively affect both the panels' High Voltage Transformer and the built in amplification for the woofers' performance, be carried by a 17 awg conductor. Again, a very small conductor.

The premise on which BeachBound is operating, regarding the cables that are supplied with our MLs, is that the original equipment cable is a sub-par component that would normally be replaced by any owner who isn't a luddite. The problem with this premise, which would work very well if used to discuss low voltage/low ampacity signal carrying conductors, is that if the power supply cables supplied with any of your components were at all sub-par, and not in fact designed to take 3 times the expected current draw of your component, they would heat up due to their excessive resistance, and possibly cause a fire. So, no, BeachBound, I do not have Summits, but merely the Vistas. If that makes my opinions less valid than yours, fine by me. I'm not a theorist, at least in the way you're implying. You, however, are expounding all kinds unsubstantiated theories, based on your golden ears.

Having said all of that, if BeachBound would kindly refer to my first reply to the OPs question, he will see with his eagle eyes that I did not dismiss the difference that a power cable could make, but merely stated that the results are subjective. Perhaps BeachBound is just accustomed to having to justify the money he has spent to skeptics. I think that I'm not out of line when I say that BeachBound doesn't have to deride a persons' implied knowledge or experience of a product to make his point.

Hey Beachbound, Do you listen at 1.7?
Oh dear, our little thin skinned Vancouverite is angry! Time for some sunshine, Sunshine!!

Back