Who has heard Magico and what can you tell me about them?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Right before I fell off the audio earth, I recall the Magico Mini speakers being well received. Right around the time I left, the Magico Mini II were even more well received.

I have a shot at getting the Magico Mini II speakers and they would seem to me like an easy purchase considering they're not 600 lb Wilson Sasha speakers. The price is around $14,000.

I can mate them with a sub of my choosing - probably something musical (obviously).

Thoughts?

I know there are these new S3 and S5 speakers... the Q5 is just a hair out of range. I really don't want this system to be that costly.

Many years ago, I had this dream of owning a pair of the Minis and mating them with a great sub (can I still find a Torus??) in a nice room. It'd be easy to move also.... if I didn't like it.

Last edited:
I guess the better question is - this was in 2010.... is the Mini 2 still relevant today?

Last edited:
Joey, if you're prepared to spend around $14K for the Magico, I suggest that after you finish auditioning all the speakers of interest, you go and listen to the Summit X before pulling the trigger on anything else.

Joey, if you're prepared to spend around $14K for the Magico, I suggest that after you finish auditioning all the speakers of interest, you go and listen to the Summit X before pulling the trigger on anything else.

+1

I agree with Bernard; it's great advice. I have been impressed by other loudspeakers in the passed, because they did sound very nice, only to realize when I've arrived home that they lack something I must take for granted in my Vistas. I think Rich has a good point about demo-ing the Sanders ESLs, if you're able to.

Joey, the best system I've ever heard at someone's home used Rockport speakers. Though these top of the line Arrakis speakers were taller than me, they simply disappeared when making music. The night before I listened to this home system, I went to Bass Concert Hall at the University of Texas, to listen to Joe Lovano and the Dave Douglas Quintet. I had excellent seats, second row, ever so slightly to the right of center. There really is nothing like listening to live music at a great venue. The next day, I was amazed how my friend's home system nearly replicated the sound of live music on stage at Bass! I highly suggest you audition the Rockport Atria.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...lign-rockport-technologies-atria-loudspeakers

Also, Wilson has just released or soon to be released the new Sasha II. I'd listen to it, too. Even if they are heavy, as you stated, they should be wonderful. I've been extremely satisfied with my Wilson's these last few years.

I heard the S5s this weekend. I would say they have a long way to go to sound as good as Georges Summit X. The mids through high frequencies on the S5s were for me uncomfortable to listen to. Much to bright. There was a lack of pinpoint imaging within the sound stage that the Xs and other good electrostatics have. Both systems are driven by Pass equipment and computer based front end so I think it is a good comparison.

The owner said they only had 800+ hours on them and Magico suggests 1000 is needed for break in so maybe that was a factor. I hope to hear them again in a few months and I may have a different opinion.

Hi I don't like both Magicos and Wilsons at all, and I have heard both with high end gear in people's houses as well as at hifi shows, so different settings.

Now, if you do like them, you might not be anti-boxes as I am, but then I do suggest you also try the Avalon Transcendants and the Vandersteen Quattros. The Vandies are superb and can also have their bass tuned to your house so you won't have a boom. The Vaalons are brilliant but a bit fussy about being set up right.

Listened to the Quattros a couple of years ago with all ARC with vinyl front end and it was amazingly good. So far the only companies boxes I have heard I would consider changing to.

Yes I heard them on the back of the my favorite electrostats so far, the full-range Analysis Audio, with all valve (NAT Audio) amps. The dealer then took off the stats and put the Quattros in and the Quattros did quite well. That was two weeks ago

Yeah I know auditioning them would be best, but I'd have to fly and then listen to them in a room other than my own and the gear would be different too. If I can get a good price on them, I'd probably just jump on them as long as I know I can move them for similar price. I don't mind losing a grand for the sake of trying out a pair in the proper setting for an extended period of time.

Significantly cheaper than a pair of sasha 2 too... I dunno. I figured if everyone raved about it 4 years ago... there has to be some validity to it. Just some thoughts out loud. I could probably even go for some used summits or the X and have 2 sets of speakers for some long term comparison.

I feel like if I buy the Sasha 2... I'd better be real sure or it's going to suck at resale.

Last edited:
Meh.. All this talk. Ill probably just end up getting some MLs again. It's a sound that I'm familiar with. Plus there's the new set of high end speakers coming out soon I guess.

Yes I heard them on the back of the my favorite electrostats so far, the full-range Analysis Audio, with all valve (NAT Audio) amps. The dealer then took off the stats and put the Quattros in and the Quattros did quite well. That was two weeks ago

FWIW, the Audio Analysis speaker technology is "ribbon" based much like the Apogee. It is not a stat.

My first listen of YG's in my home tonight would suggest some magic going on with this brand also. Need some "break in" time before I'll be able to comment further.

By the way, I agree with the others on more auditioning of the various brands before you make a decision.

GG

Yes I use stat and planar interchangeably for some reason

FWIW, the Audio Analysis speaker technology is "ribbon" based much like the Apogee. It is not a stat.

My first listen of YG's in my home tonight would suggest some magic going on with this brand also. Need some "break in" time before I'll be able to comment further.

By the way, I agree with the others on more auditioning of the various brands before you make a decision.

GG

Gordon -

Interested in these YG of yours.

Yeah - I have been on the prowl recently. I think I'm going to have to travel 250 miles to listen to the current Magico offerings, but I'm afraid of the approx $50K price tag some of these speakers have.

I was all set looking at typical boxed speakers, then I listened to Montis on a full tube Mcintosh system. Oh man.

I have always had an itch for an all tube ML system. I could never afford the top end Cary Audio tube amps back in the day. I have been looking and reading up on the Cary 805 and 211 amps... would like to hear what this can do with the Cary SLP05 on a pair of X. Bet that'd be nice.

Last edited:
I'd buy these, but then I would say that: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/fu...nt-cond-2014-02-11-speakers-07026-garfield-nj

Or these, and send them off for a full refurb: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/planars-apogee-acoustics-apogee-diva-queen-of-apogee-2014-02-16-speakers-77584-pearland-tx

The Duettas, though well stored/kept, will be better still with new ribbons/ribbon clamps/foam/external x/o etc. Easily Summit X beating IMHO. Then drive 'em with some big tube amps.

Magicos? I've not heard a really impressive dem of them considering the price and I've heard up to the S5.

Last edited:
Joey,

I've not heard but read many over the top comments about the KEF LS50's monitors. You'll likely need a sub or two to make them sing but list price for the pair is $1,500. Supposed to be a "giant killer" from a cost / performance perspective.

Gordon

Gordon -

Interested in these YG of yours.

Yeah - I have been on the prowl recently. I think I'm going to have to travel 250 miles to listen to the current Magico offerings, but I'm afraid of the approx $50K price tag some of these speakers have.

I was all set looking at typical boxed speakers, then I listened to Montis on a full tube Mcintosh system. Oh man.

I have always had an itch for an all tube ML system. I could never afford the top end Cary Audio tube amps. I have been looking and reading up on the Cary 805 and 211 amps... would like to hear what this can do with the Cary SLP05 on a pair of X. Bet that'd be nice.

I haven't heard either the 05/805 or 05/211 combo with MLs, but I have heard them with other speakers. I found the presentations very pleasing, to the point I could easily live with either, and I'm not a tube amp fan by any stretch.

At the risk of adding more to your decision-making process, I think it might be worthwhile for you to consider these Joseph Audio Pulsar bookshelfs if space is a consideration: http://www.stereophile.com/content/joseph-audio-pulsar-loudspeaker

I think Fremer's review is spot on. I heard these at the DC Audio Show this past year and everyone in the room thought that a subwoofer was in the system. Full, weighty sound without a hint of strain. $8K new. If I was in the market for bookshelfs, these would definitely be on my short list.

Back