What is the sonic difference between the Summit and the Summit X?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, the Zanden dac is a pretty old dac, used to be 17k at one time and goes for around 6 - 7 now. Pricey for some, but in line with Roberto's gear. I haven't heard the Zanden, but have heard the Lampi, and generally Lampi, Audionote 4.1/5 and Zanden seem to come from a similar family. The other, more detailed, clinical family is the dCS, Meitner, Weiss. The dCS Verdi with it's Elgar dac and Purcell upsampler is an excellent bargain in today's market. You will either like the lampi sound or the dCS sound.

On the lower end, the Audiolab to me was the more detailed clinical while rega was the more musical. If rega could do that at 500 quid, it will be interesting to see what the Rega ISIS could do at a higher price point. I will soon audition the ISIS.

Check with Justin, he has tried the jolida, which is audiolab price, and is supposed to be a giant killer. The Metronome and MSB dacs are pricey but good value in the second hand market. You need to see if you like the valve or solid state, Non-oversampling or not.

In the medium price range, the electrocompaniet and chordqute HD offer good values. The chordqute also has a DSD functionality. Again if you have a CLX with VTL and Shun Mooks, for me getting a Lampi/Zanden/Metronome/MSB/that dCS Verdi stack would be a no-brainer. Apart from the Lampi all are old dacs, so it's not about things moving along so quickly

That's fine. At least you tried it wasn't a wilson or a focal

Why this constant put down from you on Wilson or Focal? We understand, you don't like them, but it is not necessary to constantly belittle them. Many of us on this site love the ML sound and also have praised the sound of Wilson or Focal or mbl or other brands that we have heard. For some of us, those brands have from time to time, been picked as our "best of show" brands at various audio shows we've attended.

I can't say what your taste is. All I can do is say try a, b, c, and d if you haven't. For me when someone goes for a Wilson they are reaching for the easiest thing to audition (at that price point). Try the Avalon or vandys. You don't have to like them, but without trying the tune audio anima you can't say how our compares to a Wilson. I have tried them, so I can suggest. To me, the Wilson's and magicos were the worst by far. Multiple times

I understand that, taste is subjective and I have no problem with your subjective experiences. I have heard Avalon's and vandy's myself and thought they brought some valid listening experiences, but they are different from each other and from Wilson. I've also heard many, many different speakers in many, many different environments. Some were phenomenal, others, not so much. Having chosen and absolutely love my Wilson's, I would rather not see someone repeatedly bash them. Say you don't like them fine, but please don't repeatedly bash them. Also, Wilson's are not necessarily easy to find and listen to. I would have to travel 150 to 200 miles in order to audition them at a dealer's location. If you are ever in the Austin, Texas area, you are welcome to come listen to my setup.

Hi slowgeezer, sorry I thought you were auditioning, did not know you already owned them (though your signature says it, I assumed you were still a Logan owner). Ok, fair enough.

I, for one, would love to hear Steve's analogue based system.

One of these days my friend.

Gordon

Check with Justin, he has tried the jolida, which is audiolab price, and is supposed to be a giant killer. The Metronome and MSB dacs are pricey but good value in the second hand market. You need to see if you like the valve or solid state, Non-oversampling or not.

Well I liked the Jolida Glass FXII a lot. And so do an awful lot of people on a major UK forum. It isn't at Lampizator L4G4 + V-Caps level, though.

I've gotta agree with the Bonz, and disagree with Rich, though. I, personally, would spend more than Audiolab money to feed a pair of CLX if I had it to spare.

Hi, the Zanden dac is a pretty old dac, used to be 17k at one time and goes for around 6 - 7 now. Pricey for some, but in line with Roberto's gear. I haven't heard the Zanden, but have heard the Lampi, and generally Lampi, Audionote 4.1/5 and Zanden seem to come from a similar family. The other, more detailed, clinical family is the dCS, Meitner, Weiss. The dCS Verdi with it's Elgar dac and Purcell upsampler is an excellent bargain in today's market. You will either like the lampi sound or the dCS sound.

On the lower end, the Audiolab to me was the more detailed clinical while rega was the more musical. If rega could do that at 500 quid, it will be interesting to see what the Rega ISIS could do at a higher price point. I will soon audition the ISIS.

In the medium price range, the electrocompaniet and chordqute HD offer good values. The chordqute also has a DSD functionality. Again if you have a CLX with VTL and Shun Mooks, for me getting a Lampi/Zanden/Metronome/MSB/that dCS Verdi stack would be a no-brainer. Apart from the Lampi all are old dacs, so it's not about things moving along so quickly

I think for the money the Audiolab M-DAC is a real winner. I certainly wouldn't classify it as "clinical", but of course it depends on which filters you employ and obviously, your associated equipment.

That being said, I recently sold mine in favor of the AURALiC Vega, which really should be on your list Bonzo. I have not heard a more musical DAC, including many you mention above. The Vega is starting to get a LOT of press for very good reason.

Last edited:
Hi I heard the auralic vega in my own system, next to the AR dac 8 I have. It was there for two weeks than a dealer bought the lampi. It failed badly against both of them, which is why I chose not to mention it in the list above.

Last edited:
Hi I heard the auralic vega in my own system, next to the AR dac 8 I have. It was there for two weeks than a dealer bought the lampi. It failed badly against both of them, which is why I choose not to mention it in the list above.

I think that demonstrated how subjective and system defendant these things can be. I have not heard the Lampi, but didn't care for the AR in my system - but I'm talking about the system with my KEF LS-50's. Who knows, with my main system and the CLS IIz's I may have had a different opinion.

Which may actually lend credence to your point about all the higher level gear in Roberto's CLX based system. Having spent some time with Roberto at CEDIA a few years ago I do know that the man has very good ears.

Last edited:
I have listened to this DAC quite a bit and really like it...very musical and you can change the sound flavors via multiple filter, sampling rates and jitter-reduction settings.

amrdac.jpg

Review here...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/abbingdon-music-research-dp-777-da-processor

Are we talking ears? How many ears has Captain Kirk got?

A left ear, a right ear, and the final frontier.:ROFL:

Tis possible Roberto would like the Audiolab better than many more expensive DACs. I'm not sure how many he has actually tried with the CLX. Roberto?

I have listened to this DAC quite a bit and really like it...very musical and you can change the sound flavors via multiple filter, sampling rates and jitter-reduction settings.

amrdac.jpg

Review here...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/abbingdon-music-research-dp-777-da-processor

My god Steve. I had one on demo for a week or two. I and a friend really didn't like it at all. Which REALLY annoyed me. I loved the looks and build quality. But his Opera Mini Droplet trashed it for sound quality. Even my old Tri-Vista SACD bettered it.

I really couldn't see how they could sell them at the price with that level of SQ. I reckon they MUST have changed it. I had one of the very first ones of the production line. It was dull, lifeless and totally uninvolving.

Hi MiTT, he has ears hence my point. By his own admission he hasn't auditioned dacs

I would have loved to like the Auralic because it upsamples, preamps, does everything at a nice price. Unfortunately it was too linear and digital for me. The Dac 8 is more analog, while Weiss, Lampi and Meitner are much much more open. If your room has width it will show. The Weiss is detailed and clinical, a it bright for me, while Meitner is soft, and the Lampi is both soft and analog.

It's not in the best possible taste - I did warn you.

Anyway, why is she brown?

Because William Shatner.:ROFL:

Back