Dirac Live + MiniDSP News!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUR

Reaction score
Apparently,there's a marriage afoot: http://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series

Personally, I think this has the potential to be fantastic news for many 2ch users. Not only can they use the miniDSP as a proper crossover to a sub or subs, which will also handle delay/distance and gain settings, but they can experience the IMHO huge benefits of really excellent room correction in the form of Dirac Live. Folks who've never heard really transparent, user tweak-able room correction are likely to be amazed.

For those who may be unfamiliar with it, Dirac Live is a truly SoTA room correction suite, currently available only in five-figure multi-channel pre-pros (Datasat, Theta), an MC software package for HTPC's, or a 2ch software package for those using a PC source.

miniDSP started life as a basic 2ch DSP with a variety of add-on software to handle PEQ filters, crossovers, gain, delay, etc. etc.

Pricing TBD, but I imagine a 2ch box should be in the ~$500-700 region, including mic.

I think the new eMotiva pre (XMC-1) that is due out in the next month or so also has the Dirac Live. I am considering it for a pre instead of my Denon 4520CI as it has some cool features. But it is also lacking some of the things I enjoy on the Denon today (Internet radio, Airplay, the extra channels to use the amp for a 7.1 with my 5 channel amp). I have an Apple TV hooked up so I can get the streaming radio and airplay but it is just seamless on the Denon with the iPhone app. Denon has the Audessy instead of the Dirac Live 7.2 which I think would be a nice upgrade too.

Decisions, decisions.

Personally, I'd wait to see how simplistic is the Dirac implementation on the Emotiva i.e. how much tweak-ability, including a user-definable target curve, is included. And, Emotiva's track record for bug-free pre-pros is unblemished by success.

Having said this, it has the potential to be a real paradigm shift, if Emo gets it right.

What's going on here Ken?

So if I wait and get the UMIK-1, h/w box and s/w in a package, can I apply R/C to an analogue source? All looks a bit vague without further info, and how good that box actually turns out to be.

Bit confused without further specs on the magic box.

You can, Justin, though there will be an A/D/A conversion in the loop. Very simplified process prolly goes like this:

• Insert new miniDSP box between preamp and amp or source and preamp
  • Install Dirac Live software on your PC
  • Connect mic to PC, run Dirac setup and measure room
  • Dirac calculates filter set based on target curve you define
  • Connect PC to miniDSP box and sync (load filter set from PC to miniDSP)
  • Kick back and enjoy improved FR/temporal response from your system

miniDSP's been in business for a few years, now, and I own two of the 2x4 version (came with the EP's). But yeah, let's wait 'till we see some official details.

Agreed, very cool news!

I hope for future mutichannel solutions as well.
Yep, developing this into an MC product would be cool, but I wonder if Dirac is prepared to annoy their high-end clients i.e. Datasat and Theta. Guess we'll see!

You can, Justin, though there will be an A/D/A conversion in the loop. Very simplified process prolly goes like this:

• Insert new miniDSP box between preamp and amp or source and preamp
  • Install Dirac Live software on your PC
  • Connect mic to PC, run Dirac setup and measure room
  • Dirac calculates filter set based on target curve you define
  • Connect PC to miniDSP box and sync (load filter set from PC to miniDSP)
  • Kick back and enjoy improved FR/temporal response from your system

miniDSP's been in business for a few years, now, and I own two of the 2x4 version (came with the EP's). But yeah, let's wait 'till we see some official details.

I am very much in need of this magic box! My room is impossible in every way; dimensionally especially...

Was very pleased with the packaging and price point.

If I had a 2ch system, I'd be all over this.

Right now, purchasing the MCH Driac for my HTPC to mess around with.

Right now, purchasing the MCH Dirac for my HTPC to mess around with.
Keen to hear your thoughts, once you've had time to play. Lots and lots of flexibility, so plan on spending a fair amount of time setting up and tweaking settings before you get the full-monty effects.

Generally takes me a month or more of listening/tweaking just to get the target curve right where I want it.

No dealers in the UK so my Umik mic is coming from zee Fatherland.

Will play with the Dirac s/w only demo when it comes:)

Was very pleased with the packaging and price point.

If I had a 2ch system, I'd be all over this.

Right now, purchasing the MCH Driac for my HTPC to mess around with.

I'd be interested in hearing about your results. I've been looking at that recently. Torn between getting a Denon X4000 with XT32 + SubHT EQ vs a cheaper receiver and going Dirac on my HTPC (90% of my content is on the HTPC).

Got the mic, mic calibration file and Dirac software. The mic cal files are done for the serial number of your mic - it is just a text file of frequency versus DB correction. The biggest correction I saw in mine on a quick scan through it was 1.7DB at around 6KHz.

Will have a play over the next few days but if it genuinely doesn't sound better post correction I'll say so. I'd imagine there will be gains in some areas and losses in others, confusing the issue, but I just don't know til I try it.

Well I had a play and couldn't get it to work after 2 hours playing. Got some ideas to try from this post though: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/dirac-live-room-correction-suite-initial-impressions-free-trial-15137/#post211589

I did manage some sound output but it was just dreadful - obvious timing issues and output level too low. The Dirac s/w & user manual needs some work - no question.

IF I get it working properly I'll report back but given up for the mo.

I messed with it for a few the other day. My receiver is old and I use toslink/optical and it would only work in stereo but not surround so I just messed around with the stereo mode. It took a little bit to get it setup so I could do the measurements. I need to redo it since I forgot to shutdown Equalizer APO while doing the measurements and I don't think I did really well on the mic placements. It did make a difference but I don't know if it's worth $500+ (stereo version). My initial impressions is that I think it just might not be worth it with ESL's since they don't interact with the room as much as cones. I'm going to try again on monday while being extra careful on the mic placements and getting measurements in REW for before and after. I'll post my results.

I got it working with minimal drama, so you can ask me, or post on the computeraudiophile forum. Yes, the volume is supposed to be lower.

Back