Summit x vs Maggie 20.7 vs 3.7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola. Just a little two questions... You Summit's panel weights less than the air that it moves it. There is no mass at all. How a panel that has attached a silver wire to it, giving a lot of mass, is going to be faster? Your Summit has a coherence from less than 270Hz to top, there is no crossover...how can you integrate a crossover without any phase shift of the signal? With all respect, I think that your Summits are not working properly. I do know about the clarity of ribbon tweeters. Also, of course I do like Magneplanar. But the stage that if offers to my ears, is not what I usually get with ML. Yes, I know. Sound is a matter of liking, and what I do like, not necessary you have to like it. I had the Maggies previously, and the problem that I had, was that certain moments of the music playing, listening to the human voice, (usually female) at my golden seating position, I almost could feel her breath and smell it!...certain notes were too close to me...it was like a cartoon. Also had troubles with the string of the guitars. I could almost listen the pick plucking the guitar strings. Again, this was too close for me. I can listen the pick but there, with the musician(s) at the stage, not next to me. Some instruments were too big at certain notes. The flugelhorn, is one. Listening to the album "Martirio" (a Spain singer) in New York, here with this recording, you can listen what I am talking about. I have to say that the Summit X are not a perfect, but the stage presentation is one of the best that I ever listened. But again, it is my liking. I do believe that the most important thing is to enjoy what we have, as you are doing with your Maggies. Please excuse my dare to chimed in here with my liking and thoughts. Happy listening!

First stop: Montis & Summit X...

Both were hooked to some parasound gear.... not the best.... not set up very well.... Summit X's were too close to the wall - maybe 2 feet.... They sounded good... however, they didn't blow me away... Same thing with the Montis... Compared to the older speaker line - I find the stat to have more body... the woofer and stat definitely do integrate better - and you don't really know what that is until you hear it... Thing is - I just didn't go 'wow'.... Now- when I listened to my Odysseys about 10 years ago... I went 'wow'!!!!!.... I just can't get away from that powered woofer... I think it just seems to force the bass at you ...it seems very directional to me...and to me - that seems to mess up the magic of the speaker.... Of course, my opinion and the YMMV applies as always.... It was a lousy setup - no doubt - but I definitely got a feel for the sonic signature of the speakers -- and to me - they are very much like the old summit....with some improvements.

timm,

With all due respect, ML speaker setup, along with ancillary gear, are absolutely critical to judging their performance.

Based on your description of the room and the setup, I would put zero credence on your observations unless one is limited to compromising optimum position.

Any credible speaker can be made to sound marginal based on synergy with the room and ancillary gear.

"Natural" bass level / balance can be dealt with in numerous ways. Set up properly and again in the right room with the right gear, there is no major issue in attaining this quality with the ML Summits or "X" version.

I'm glad you like the Maggies.

GG

Like most people here, I love Maggies. They have lots of character and offer a BIG soundstage and load a room like no other speaker. But when it comes to coherency, speed, dynamics, detail, and sheer musicality - nothing beats an electrostatic panel. I would love to say otherwise, but it wouldn't be true.

In relation to perceived issues when auditioning ML electrostatic speakers, any perceived shortfalls usually come down to poor setup, amplifier mismatching, or poor source material.

In relation to perceived issues when auditioning ML electrostatic speakers, any perceived shortfalls usually come down to poor setup, amplifier mismatching, or poor source material.

Ed, I couldn't agree more !!

I agree with Martin Logan Summits, but combining Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels
and not using the woofers in the Summits, results in "coherency" and stunning bass.
Soundstage is huge with depth that contributes to the feeling of space.
Jim Winey's Tympanis were his best efforts in bass reproduction and its too bad that
they are no longer made.
It takes a large room for this combo, a large distance from all walls and acoustics
to match.

Back