McIntosh MC75 Monoblocks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this.
Too bad the MC75s didn't work out.
If you're still looking for an amplifier, I would recommend that you don't give up on vintage McIntosh gear. Their solid state amps from the 60's and 70's (once restored) are great at handling low impedance loads (some have 2 ohm taps) and have much of the warm sound McIntosh tube amps are known for. They also can be had for the same (or less) money than amps by the manufacturers you mentioned.
Best of all - their service life is measured in decades. These things last!!!

I've got a McIntosh MC2200 running my ML Vantages and a bridged MC2120 running an ML Stage. I've also got an MA6100 integrated for my office. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited:
Just saw this.
Too bad the MC75s didn't work out.
If you're still looking for an amplifier, I would recommend that you don't give up on vintage McIntosh gear. Their solid state amps from the 60's and 70's (once restored) are great at handling low impedance loads (some have 2 ohm taps) and have much of the warm sound McIntosh tube amps are known for. They also can be had for the same (or less) money than amps by the manufacturers you mentioned.
Best of all - their service life is measured in decades. These things last!!!

I've got a McIntosh MC2200 running my ML Vantages and a bridged MC2120 running an ML Stage. I've also got an MA6100 integrated for my office. I couldn't be happier with the results.

That is interesting advice. I will definitely reconsider hunting down some of their older gear. Thanks a lot!

EDIT. So I just found a couple 2200s for under a grand! That has seriously sparked my interest. I do see they have an old style rotary power knob. I use a Logitech Harmony to control the whole system. How would I handle turning the amp on and off? Would I have to manually shut it off?

I see the 2205's have the blue gauges. I am definitely a fan of those.

Last edited:
I have my 2200 ans 2120 plugged into a power conditioner (APC H10) that has a 12v trigger. I use the trigger control on my NAD receiver to turn them on and off.
As you've already noticed, the 2200s are priced a lot more competitively than the 2205. While they have the same circuitry and performance, people LOVE the blue meters. Therefore, the 2205s sell for about $500-$800 more. I like the meters too, but for that money, you could send the 2200 to Audioclassics and get a complete restoration done.

I have my 2200 ans 2120 plugged into a power conditioner (APC H10) that has a 12v trigger. I use the trigger control on my NAD receiver to turn them on and off.
As you've already noticed, the 2200s are priced a lot more competitively than the 2205. While they have the same circuitry and performance, people LOVE the blue meters. Therefore, the 2205s sell for about $500-$800 more. I like the meters too, but for that money, you could send the 2200 to Audioclassics and get a complete restoration done.

I see that definitely. The 2200 can be had for essentially the same price as the Parasound A23 brand new. I guess my only problem now is not being able to demo either of these amps in store *sad panda*

So its been a few months, but I met up with my friend and had a few drinks. The monoblocks came up. He said he'd take $1500 for the pair so I'm back to considering it. It looks like that combined with the restore costs I'd be in about $4,000.

What is the general consensus of the board? Is $4,000 worth it, or would I be better suited buying something like a Parasound A21 or even a SS McIntosh from the same era and putting quite a bit of money in my pocket?

While discussing vintage McIntosh amps at BestBuy with a few other customers someone mentioned that the M2200 / 2205 was a "dark period" where apparently their solid state amps weren't very good. I feel silly for even asking but is there any validity to this?

Unless you are a die hard mac fan, you can pick up some great SS amps for under $4K.

One recommend I just made in another thread is the Odyssey Strato 150. $1,295.

Or you can pick up a used Pass Labs for that money.

Just a thought.

Unless you are a die hard mac fan, you can pick up some great SS amps for under $4K.

One recommend I just made in another thread is the Odyssey Strato 150. $1,295.

Or you can pick up a used Pass Labs for that money.

Just a thought.

Thanks a lot Gordon. It's kinda what I was thinking too. The Parasound A21/A23 still speak to me, and the A21 is $1500 less and gobs more power.

So after over a year of no activity on this, its a done deal. Two McIntosh MC75's in my possession for $500. Rebuilt, reconditioned pairs are selling just north of $4,000, and my total investment with the cosmetic and electrical rebuild would be about $2600. Pretty excited about it actually.

Back