Upgrade from my Ascents?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I upgraded from Ascent-i to Vantage in my 11 x 19 room. I've since upgraded to Spire. In your size room, however, I would at least go to Spire, which go for $4200-4700 used, or patiently wait for a fire sale on Montis. You might find Summit (not Summit-X) for under $5K, but I prefer the newer speakers and recommend limiting your consideration to the last two generations of MLs. While the Vantage would be more resolving than the Ascent, in your size room you will notice (and most likely miss) the more expansive soundstage of the Ascent. The Spire and Montis would not be at such a disadvantage.

Thanks guys. I saw a pair of Vantages locally for $2,500 and strongly considered it, but I wasn't enthusiastic about them. It's just that as I mentioned earlier, used high end ML's are few and far between in the Northeast, it seems like there are many more out west or in the south. Shipping from so far away usually kills the deal......If the seller will ship at all, not to mention I don't get to see or hear them before I buy.

Once you know the model you want, you could place a want ad on audiogon and here. That might shake loose some local sellers. Audiogon want ad is how I found my SL3's...

That's probably what I will do, since that way I can probably get someone local who has the ML speakers I want. I am also going to try to hold out just in case ML releases new high end speakers soon, which will mean the older models will go on sale and some owners will sell their current speakers to upgrade.

Back