Out of phase

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegwill

Reaction score
Hi
I have just read an article stating that the woofers on my Aeons may be out of phase with the panels and in fact is quite common in electro statics. Has anybody heard that this is the case?. If so what would be the reason for them being out of phase.

How easy is it to reverse the phase on the woofer. I use a biwire set up so is it just a matter of reversing the woofer connections while leaving the panel connections as is?

Many thanks

It's common for ALL second-order crossover networks. From wiki:

"It is commonly thought that there will always be a phase difference of 180° between the outputs of a (second order) low-pass filter and a high-pass filter having the same crossover frequency. And so, in a 2-way system, the high-pass section's output is usually connected to the high frequency driver 'inverted', to correct for this phase problem. For passive systems, the tweeter is wired with opposite polarity to the woofer; for active crossovers the high-pass filter's output is inverted. In 3-way systems the mid-range driver or filter is inverted. However, this is generally only true when the speakers have a wide response overlap and the acoustic centers are physically aligned."

Back