50 Years ago this coming Sunday………..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Where were you, when the Beatles landed (Ed Sullivan Show) on a cold winters night in Feb of '64.

Me, an 11 year old kid watching in awe on my parents 21" black and white RCA console !

Last edited:
One year before I was born, so I missed it. Abby Road was my first album, though. It saddens me a bit to think about what great musicians they were and so intelligent and thoughtful, even in their youth . . . and then think about the artists kids today fawn over, like Beiber and Miley. *Sigh*

. . . and then think about the artists kids today fawn over, like Beiber and Miley. *Sigh*

You're just old Rich. My grandparents used to hate the Beatles - "what is that awful boom, boom music you are listening to?" "It's so boring, just doop - doop - doop". "There is no melody".

Yes - whatever age you are, there will be a generation gap.

simply put Adam……..if you can't appreciate the Beatles, you know nothing about music. My parents (probably the age of your Grandparents) understood their importance.

Last edited:
One year before I was born, so I missed it. Abby Road was my first album, though. It saddens me a bit to think about what great musicians they were and so intelligent and thoughtful, even in their youth . . . and then think about the artists kids today fawn over, like Beiber and Miley. *Sigh*
Aren't Bieber and Miley more about losing their clothes than singing?

I was three and one half years old. So pretty much missed it. Never got into the Beatles since.

simply put Adam……..if you can't appreciate the Beatles, you know nothing about music. My parents (probably the age of your Grandparents) understood their importance.

I disagree. Music is largely generational, and includes subject matter that is defined by a specific period of time; in the case of the Beatles, a period I (30 yrs old) do not relate to. Pearl Jam was my Beatles, but I'm sure you couldn't understand, Gramps :D HeHe

Significance to rock music, yes. But if you didn't grow up with or subsequently appreciate rock music then I can understand how you might find the Beatles a little confronting. The Beatles (as great as they are) are an extraordinarily different style to a Bach violin concerto :)

Last edited:
I disagree. Music is largely generational, and includes subject matter that is defined by a specific period of time; in the case of the Beatles, a period I (30 yrs old) do not relate to. Pearl Jam was my Beatles, but I'm sure you couldn't understand, Gramps :D HeHe

we'll agree to disagree kid, but keep this in mind…….when the 50 year aniv of 'Pear Jam' comes up only you and few others will remember ! The Beatles (and Elvis) paved the road for them long ago !

Significance to rock music, yes. But if you didn't grow up with or subsequently appreciate rock music then I can understand how you might find the Beatles a little confronting. The Beatles (as great as they are) are an extraordinarily different style to a Bach violin concerto :)

no Adam, Significant to music period…….. as is Bach and many of the other great Classical composers. Yes there were those that saw the Beatles as 'confronting, non-conformists, etc' but remember they played into the 'Nam' generation so everything was questioned …….

I disagree. Music is largely generational, and includes subject matter that is defined by a specific period of time;

Right, which is why today no one listens to or appreciates the contributions of composers like Bach, Beetoven, etc. or blues artists like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, etc. or any of the Jazz greats. I could go on and on. Great music is timeless. I see kids today rocking to classic artists all the time. And many of the great artists of today will list groups like The Beatles as having a huge influence on their work.

In fact, Pearl Jam, who you mention, listed as some of their influences The Who, Neil Young, and Jimmy Hendrix, all of whom, by the way, were heavily influenced by, you guessed it, The Beatles!

Last edited:
You know, it could be that I just haven't arrived at the Beatles yet, or others like them for that matter. I like classic rock, but I've never connected with the mainstream end of it. The Beatles were/are one of the most influential bands that ever existed; so is Elvis Presley, but I just cant relate to him either.

Happy Birthday on Sunday though!

I was more into the Rolling Stones or the Animals than the Beatles, though I like a lot of their songs. It was my 12th birthday when we sat down in front of our black and white Zenith to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I can remember standing at the bus stop, with my six transistor radio in hand, saying to my school mates, "Yeah, the Beatles are good, but they'll never beat Elvis!" Ha ha, they went on to be one of the most influential bands ever.

I wasn't born yet, but being an amateur musician and avid listener, I can very much appreciate what the Beatles did for rock music. The difference between The Beatles and the majority of sub-genres that followed is that The Beatles influence was a revolutionary change while the Nirvanas, Pearl Jams, etc helped bring about evolutionary changes. The Beatles influence is pervasive and musically generational in how much they have influenced bands of the 1960s - 2010s. Just to mention a few who mention The Beatles as an influence:

Billy Joel, ELO, Tom Petty, Oasis, Radiohead, etc etc..

Think of Paul McCartney's Beatles songs and listen to "Shake" off the new "The Head and The Heart album". Sounds like Badfinger revisited. I personally love it.

I won't even comment on Miley and Bieber.....http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.png

The trouble I have is in defining exactly what the Beatles did for music. I realize that they're a band that others are socially obligated to pay homage to when citing their respective influences, but other than becoming wildly popular, what, Exactly, did they do first, before anyone else. I give them credit for bringing rock music into the light, so to speak, but I just need to be told, like I'm 5 years old, why they are revolutionary; what did they do before anyone else?

The trouble I have is in defining exactly what the Beatles did for music. I realize that they're a band that others are socially obligated to pay homage to when citing their respective influences, but other than becoming wildly popular, what, Exactly, did they do first, before anyone else. I give them credit for bringing rock music into the light, so to speak, but I just need to be told, like I'm 5 years old, why they are revolutionary; what did they do before anyone else?

Here's a few good articles on the subject, if you want to learn:

http://listverse.com/2012/10/11/10-beatles-innovations-that-changed-music/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1452393.stm

http://community.digitalmediaacademy.org/12758-how-the-beatles-changed-music

Sure, man. And those articles just scratch the surface. They really ushered in a revolution, not just in Rock Music, but in popular culture as well. And Lennon/McCartney was one of the most successful songwriting duos of all time. All over a very short timespan.

along with all the good info Rich has posted don't forget about the special on TV tonite….CBS 8pm (EST)

along with all the good info Rich has posted don't forget about the special on TV tonite….CBS 8pm (EST)

Thanks for the heads up amigo.

I posted a similar thread on another audio website. Very little interest. Guess they love tech talk versus the "soul" of our hobby.

Gordon

Back