Just upgraded to my dream front stage. Psyched!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flimchance

Reaction score
I've been wanting these mains ever since hearing them three years ago and I thought I'd never be able to get them. I thought, "one day..." That one day is finally here, and I'm psyched!

Just ordered the following:

2-Martin Logan ElectroMotions
1-Martin Logan Motion 8 Center
1-XPA-3 Emotiva 3 channel amp

I demo'd the EMs for about two hours at Best Buy's Magnolia Home Theater in Huntington, NY and that sealed the deal. That, plus the wife gave me the green light (love that chic!). I listened to some Steely Day, some Flim and the BB's, and some Dream Theater, just to give myself a wide range of styles. The speakers handled all of them stunningly. Even Dream Theater, which has always sounded very "busy" to me with any other speakers. There's just so much going on in their songs that I always blamed the recordings. But the ElectroMotions revealed every layer of the music like I've never heard before.

While I was there I checked out the B&W CM9GB pair that they had running with a demo of "Quantum of Solace." They sounded really great, very crisp, nice mids and tons of details. When I had the sales guy switch over to the EMs, there was no comparison. Not to my ears, anyway. The EMs were clearly the better speaker.

After demoing the EMs for a while I had the guy switch back to the B&Ws and, while sounding really good, sounded like sound coming from a box. In fact, every other pair of speakers in that room sounded like that. The DefTechs, KEFs, Klipschs, etc. There wasn't a bad sounding speaker in that room. In fact, I wasn't even going to go with the Motion 8 center. I was going to let the EMs pull phantom duty but when I had the guy switch that speaker on it sounded like the actors were right in the room with me.

Of course with the new front speakers I didn't want to short-change my center, so a quick call to Emotiva during their "Warehouse Sale" nailed me a Factory Refurbished XPA-3 for $500. I really like my UPA-200 so I'm sure the XPA-3 will sound great.

So there you have it. A great day for me in this awesome hobby. Now I gotta look at some cables....>8)

Congrats ! I feel your joy I just purchased a set of Motion 40's to replace my motion 15's !! Huge step up I can't wait !!!

Yeah, I finally got enough cash to upgrade to the motion 40's and I cant wait to get them in !!! Im like a little kid waiting for the UPS guy to come :banana:

What color did you go with? I went with Piano Black, but kinda wish I woulda gone with the red. Doesn't match crap in the room, but you don't care cause its so beautiful.

Back