Issue with my Martin Logan Vision 5.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticfdguy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Martin Logan Vision sound bar to go along with my Samsung UN55D8000YF TV.

I am using the optical out on my TV to feed Optical 1 input on my soundbar.

I am having an issue where my soundbar will not put out sound from my TV occasionally. In order to fix this, I have to pull the power on the soundbar. Turning the sound bar on/off with the power button does nothing. Once I turn the power back on (not turning off the TV) the sound starts to work again.

This usually occurs when I switch inputs on my TV, the second input won't have any sound. If I go back to the original input where sound worked, it no longer does. If I power everything off (tv, cable box, soundbar) and turn everything back on that also won't bring the sound back.

Any ideas why this may be happening? Kind of frustrating since this soundbar is very expensive.

Thanks
Nick

My automatic response is: Dude, you just spent $1500 bucks on a sound bar? WTF? A first gen one at that?

Ok, sorry about that. Just had to get it off my chest. I'm still dealing with the sad fact that ML even manufactures sound bars. Now, as to trying to actually help. Does that sound bar have a mute function? Could it be going to mute automatically when you switch inputs? Could it be just a lag in the time that it takes it to pick up the signal from the new source? Is there a signal from the new source? By that I mean, if you have the sound bar connected to the TV via optical out of the T.V., and then you switch from T.V. input to a different source, like say a BluRay player, does the BluRay player (or whatever source) have a signal path to get back to the speaker? Meaning is it connected to the speaker with its own outputs, or does it connect to the T.V. and you are assuming the T.V. is transferring that signal via the optical out of the T.V.? While troubleshooting this, I suggest you read through the manual very carefully, as they usually do a good job of pointing out potential issues with different setups.

If you can't figure it out, I would call MartinLogan technical support and get them to troubleshoot it for you. For that kind of money, you deserve to have the thing at least work for you when you want it to.

Yeah - I was kind of bugging out about how much I spent... Luckily, I bought it a week ago when it was on sale for $1199 so I didn't buy it at 1500 before tax.

The reason I bought this is because I live in a coop and space is limited. I have Infinity tower speakers with shelf rears that I replaced. I just wanted the place to look less cluttered until I can afford a house.

I dont know much about Martin Logan to be honest. This is their first one? I got this one because all the other ones at Magnolia came with a wireless subwoofer. I have a nice Boston sub so I got this due to the sheer fact it has a subwoofer output.

I have a week left to return this to bestbuy. Maybe

I have all my peripherals (blu ray, xbox, etc) going to the TV and using the optical out to the soundbar. If I switch inputs on tv, to say bluray, still do not have any audio until I power cycle the device. I think I am going to have to call support... but its ridiculous since it is brand new!

Are sound bars kind of looked down upon? Are there cheaper 5.1 alternatives that you could recommend?

Don't fret it. I was just joking with you a bit. ML used to be all about high end electrostatic speakers, but since they got bought out by a private equity firm they have made a big push into "made in china" home theater components, earbuds, and whatnot. Some of us long time fans of the brand don't see that as a positive sign.

Regardless, they do still make some quality products and I'm sure the sound bar is great. Call their tech support department and see if they can help you troubleshoot your issue. Be sure to report your findings back here in case someone else has the same issue in the future.

And no, I don't think there is anything wrong with sound bars. They have their place. I have an LG sound bar on the tv in my den. It's just not the type of product I ever expected to see bearing an ML logo. I'll get over that one of these days.

Also, have you tried going through the audio settings on your tv? I suppose it is possible that you might have to designate the audio input for each video input setting separately. Doesn't seem logical, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hello Nick,

I just purchased a ML Motion Vision X Soundbar and had a similar experience. I’ve found that simply selecting the source on the remote (optical in my case) has solved this issue for me. This doesn’t happen often, however when it has this is what worked for me. I hope this is helpful to you.

Latest posts

Back