Nas

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beek

Reaction score
Anybody out here using network acessed storage?
Goin crazy at the moment between qnap,synology and others.
Whats the opinions here?

Thanx,
beek

Good morning, Beek. I purchased an NAS hard drive at the same time as I purchased my NP-S2000 Network Player. The model I have is Buffalo LS-X3.0TL. The interface (wired) between it and the network player is seamless, running 24 bit/192 khz and the sound quality is phenomenal. I connect wirelessly with my laptop to transfer files. It was inexpensive and I'm glad I went that route.

julian

Last edited:
A just built a NAS. http://www.freenas.org/ The project is all in the public domain. You just have to buy the hardware and assemble it. If you are at all computer savvy it is a breeze. Performance is a function dollars. (bigger cpu, memory, network card = more performance) I built my first one from parts I had laying around, and it worked better than the Buffalo LinkServer that I purchased. The new hardware is is almost like having local drives.

I am using a Sonos media server. and a Pioneer SC-65 receiver, Both can access the NAS.

The NAS is a supermicro server board, xeon processor and 32BG of ram. This is primarily for a set of the computers I use for work (hence the need for speed) But it holds the music just fine.

Burke……. welcome back from the dead !! haven't heard from you in ages, now if Cherian can chime in….. we'll it will be as if the Chicago clan has returned, albeit minus 'The Kid' (Joey) !

I am using a Sonos media server. and a Pioneer SC-65 receiver, Both can access the NAS.

The NAS is a supermicro server board, xeon processor and 32BG of ram. This is primarily for a set of the computers I use for work (hence the need for speed) But it holds the music just fine.

You don't need FreeNas to create a shared folder!! One of the primary reasons a NAS would appeal to most people is so they don't need a computer running all the time. NASes use less power, are quieter and cost a lot less than even half the 32GB system memory you are talking about.

If you are going to build a NAS of that calibre then it totally and absolutely defeats the purpose (for music serving purposes anyway - don't know what else you're doing with it). Most music servers can access a simple Windows/Mac/Linux share directly from a computer, and if leaving a Xeon workstation running 24/7 was an appealing option then a simple shared folder is all most people need to do.

Last edited:
You don't need FreeNas to create a shared folder!! One of the primary reasons a NAS would appeal to most people is so they don't need a computer running all the time. NASes use less power, are quieter and cost a lot less than even half the 32GB system memory you are talking about.

If you are going to build a NAS of that calibre then it totally and absolutely defeats the purpose (for music serving purposes anyway - don't know what else you're doing with it). Most music servers can access a simple Windows/Mac/Linux share directly from a computer, and if leaving a Xeon workstation running 24/7 was an appealing option then a simple shared folder is all most people need to do.

I agree completely. This thing is way overkill for a music server.

I built it for a very high performance network of computers about half of which are virtual. But since I already have it it works fine for music as well. The first Freenas I built was from and old Intel Atom computer and hard disks I had just laying around gathering dust essentially zero cost. It had only the power supply fan and was very quiet. Both of the freenas computers were headless, (no keyboard, mouse, or monitor) just like any other NAS. All of which have small linux based computers in them. At least with the Freenas system I get to make decisions on the computer configuration and cost / performance trade offs, with packaged systems you get what they give you. However there is something to be said for the buy it plug it in and run. I on the other hand am a control freak as far as computers are concerned.

Back