New to Martin Logan - Just bought some items

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patman

Reaction score
unnamed.jpgHello all,

I am new to Martin Logan, came across a few good deals, but have some questions:

Here's what I got:

** A pair of ML Montis, got them used, a steal for $3700 because the guy was going through divorce.
** ML Descent i Subwoofer for $1300 (used, but working perfectly)

I have a 9.1 Setup but using decent satellite speakers from Orb Audio and an OK center channel also from Orb Audio.

I want to look for a perfect center channel for my system. What do you guys recommend, should I go with ML Center Channel or can I go with another brand?

I am using Yamaha RX-A3030 as my receiver, seems OK, but not sure if that's the right setup. I have a decent size room, I would say 35 X 40 or so. I am trying to have the perfect setup so I won't have to keep doing it. I wonder if I have to go with ML Stage X for the center channel or I could get away with a center channel from another brand that's used, but also a high end center channel.

Any thought from ML Experts? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Patrick
Rancho Cucamonga, California

Last edited:
Patrick, welcome !

I'll defer advice on HT to our resident experts ……. I'm more of a two channel guy.

Welcome Patrick.

I'm a two-channel guy as well. Your physical setup is probably OK for HT (but then I'm happy with just a 32" TV for HT), but if you want to do any serious music listening, you would have to rearrange it substantially as you have lots of furniture between the Montis and your listening position.

welcome Patrick.

As the most HT-oriented member around these parts, I'll take a stab.

Regarding the center, it's the most important speaker for multichannel audio, so whether it's music or a movie, the center carries the majority of the cues for front stage location. With your off-center TV location, it would be even more important to have a center anchoring the dialog to the image.
Your question about trying to match the ML's is a good one, as having similar tonal balance and dynamic capabilities across all three fronts is crucial.

With your placement challenges, it might be tough to get a big ESL center like the Stage in there, but a Motif would sure fit.

If the ESL's are too big (or out of budget), then the largest, best Motion-series center you can get (or fit) would be recommended.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a surround system. Until I got center and surround speakers that were the same brand and type as the main speakers, I was always annoyed by the tonal differences.

Welcome, Patrick!

First of all, congrats on the Montis. That is a steal! Secondly, if you are a movie buff, buy the best center channel you can, preferably one in the same generation as the Montis, though not necessary. If you have no experience with a center channel, you might be surprised how much sound is directed out of the center as opposed to the fronts. This will also be very beneficial for multi-channel music. By the way, having matching surround speakers is not nearly as important, as so few TV shows and movies give them a proper workout.

Thank you guys for all the feedback, much appreciated. I am not an expert yet, so all this info is very valuable to me. Based on the some of the feedback above, I will for now do the following:

1. Re-arrange my Martin Logan Montis and put them on speaker stand so it would sit about 2.5 feet higher. I hope by doing this, the most of the sound won't be hitting my furniture. Since the subwoofer part of the speaker is about a foot tall, by having placing the Montis on 2.5 ft speaker stand, the actual speaker part would be 3.5 ft higher than the ground, therefore, we should be able to hear the sound directly when sitting down as most of my furniture and table are no more than 3.5 ft higher.

2. I will be on the look for Martin Logan Center Channel, will try to get the best one out there, so I'll be looking for Martin Logan Stage X or Martin Logan Motif X. I wonder if Stage X is worth paying the $1200 extra?

3. I will also, in the future want to take full advantage of the Montis speaker, using them to listen to music. Any advice on what amp to get to maximize my music experience? I assume my Yamaha RX-A3030 receiver is probably only good for HT experience but may not be as good for true musical experience. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for all the feedback and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Hi Pat,

Agree with Bernard. Lots of issues (furniture, etc.) with your current setup.

Your Yammy will only give you a "taste" of the Montis's potential.

Raising the speaker 3.5' off of the ground? Give it a try but they certainly weren't designed that way.

In the end, if you're happy that's all that matters but as I stated above, you're not even close to optimizing the potential for the Montis.

Different speakers in a surround set-up? Major voicing / tonal matching issues IMHO. YMMV.

Good luck.

GG

Last edited:
OMG, $3700? I came across a great deal like this when I bought our Herschede tubular grandfather clock(divorce), but I would have rather gotten your deal! I got 10% off my Montis from the dealer and felt like the king of the world...until now :)

OH, check out the Stage-X center channel from ML. It mates to the Montis perfectly(and it without a doubt the coolest looking center I have ever seen). As others have said, there is a TON of information in the center location from movies. The Stage-X is great because two conventional drivers to handle lower frequencies, so i actually lowered my low freq cut to my subwoofer after I got this center just a smidge. And that marvelous tweeter from the ML panels in in the Stage-X which makes dialog so crystal clear it's scary...

As for amps, that is a discipline unto itself! So many choices and caveats to getting what is right for you in your environment. I am an Anthem fan myself. I have always used their preamp/processors(currently have the AVM-50). I use their MCA-30 to power my Montis and Stage-X center. More power than I will ever need, and it really drives the bottom end of the Montis nicely.

good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back