To martin logan or not ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehernandez509

Reaction score
What's up guys . I am new on here but not new to the audio scene and maybe I might be a new martin logan owner because I do like there sound ? But I had a few questions first and I figured this is the place to ask. I am not sure if ml's towers(panels) would work in my space? The speakers would basically be up against a wall because my area is a little small. I have heard that M.L. Towers need at least three feet behind from back wall to sound good ??? If that's true we'll then I can't get any towers because with the speakers basically against wall the panels are already only eight feet from seating. So if towers are out off the question then maybe I can go on wall which is actually my first choice because of space (but I am not sold on wall mounted speakers) ?? Maybe Someone can Chime in on how maybe some m.l. Wall mounted speakers sound ? So considering space and not a huge budget what do you say ?

Hey Joe,
It doesn't sound as if the ML electrostatic speakers would be a good fit for your space, as they do need some room to breathe, however, the other non-ESL ML models (the "Motion" line) sound really nice and have that open and airy sound much like the ML ESLs. You should go listen to them.

If you like the sound of ESL panels you may want to consider some Bohlender-Graebener or Wisdom-Audio line source drivers that can be mounted in-wall.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom, you should consider the Martin Logan EFX. This is an on-wall design electrostatic design which should work nicely in your limited space.

I will check those out. The thing is that I have a stage center channel that's brand new and beautiful and I would like to use it but I can't use towers and I don't want to buy two more stage (non x) speakers . Would any of the speakers mentioned match up well with it?

Why not give the hybrids a try?

It sounds to me like you really like the sound of the ML stat/hybrids. Even though they would sound better with more room to breathe, if I were you I would ask a dealer to lend you a pair of motions (conventional, but very good!) and a pair of e.g. Electromotions/Theos/Ethos... and compare them.

That way, you can hear for yourself, and you will be confident that whatever you choose, it will be the ones that sounds best to YOU in YOUR room. Do experiment with position, tilt toe-in etc. I fear that if you dismiss the stats before trying, you will end up always asking yourself "what if...?" instead of just enjoying your music and movies.

Good luck, and remember to keep us updated!

Thanks for advice guys , but now I have a new problem. The stage center I have is brand new it was taken out the box setup then put back in box because customer did not like how big it was etc... So it sat around for a while . I wall mounted it above tv and gave it a go and unfortunately it sounds like I am hearing some distortion on specific dialogue and music ??? Not all . I am very upset about this . I checked to make sure all is hooked up correct Ect... And still there is some distortion that I think I have pinpointed to the tweeter. When I get home tonight I might switch out cable to the center to make sure it's ok . Is there something here Iam missing about hooking up this center . I hooked up power source to power in did not connect anything to power out and connected the speaker cables. Does this speaker need a ground or something ??

Thanks for advice guys , but now I have a new problem. The stage center I have is brand new it was taken out the box setup then put back in box because customer did not like how big it was etc... So it sat around for a while . I wall mounted it above tv and gave it a go and unfortunately it sounds like I am hearing some distortion on specific dialogue and music ??? Not all . I am very upset about this . I checked to make sure all is hooked up correct Ect... And still there is some distortion that I think I have pinpointed to the tweeter. When I get home tonight I might switch out cable to the center to make sure it's ok . Is there something here Iam missing about hooking up this center . I hooked up power source to power in did not connect anything to power out and connected the speaker cables. Does this speaker need a ground or something ??

You have it correct. Make sure that there is not any debris or anything in the panel.

As for the towers, they might work with significant absorption on the front wall.

I will vacuum it with a soft brush on the end. But I just saw an old thread of people that had the same problem with the stage :( I hope this is not my case , they needed to replace panels and power supply . Not good for first experience with m. L. At home. Hopefully cleaning works or just a new power supply. If I understood correctly if I disconnect power plug to speaker I would just be turning of the panel and the tweeter and woofers would still be going ? Am I correct? This would allow me to determine if distortion is from panel or tweeter as I first expected. Man what a bummer I know you guys know the feeling your all hyped up to hear the magic from your new gear and then ahhhhhhh !!! Oh well let's see what happens.

Ok we'll after changing speaker cables and balanced versus unbalanced interconnects different outlet etc etc.. and then plugging and unplugging power source it's confirmed, the panel is causing the distortion not the tweeter :( what should I do now? I can either return it to bestbuy or try to get martin logan to fix it ??? I really don't want to return it I would like to have it fixed . Any recommendations from one of You veterans how I should go about this.

Will martin logan be quick to fix this or will they give me the run around like other people and what would be the process do you normally have to ship the whole thing to them or do they ship u the new part Ect... Or do you think Iam better off just returning the speaker than having to deal with them ? That would be a shame because having this center is why I was considering getting the other speakers.

Hola Joe... espero que hables español. He leído tu problema, y se lo he comentado a Dana Brown. Me dice que por favor te pongas en contacto con él sobre tu Stage. Le parece muy extraño (y a mí también) que el panel te produzca distorsión. Esto sólo puede ser posible por 1) falla en la fuente de poder interna de tu Stage, y 2) algo malo en tu amplificador. Su correo es [email protected] El es mi salvación con respecto a todo lo relacionado con servicio. Saludos desde Costa Rica!

Hola Joe... espero que hables español. He leído tu problema, y se lo he comentado a Dana Brown. Me dice que por favor te pongas en contacto con él sobre tu Stage. Le parece muy extraño (y a mí también) que el panel te produzca distorsión. Esto sólo puede ser posible por 1) falla en la fuente de poder interna de tu Stage, y 2) algo malo en tu amplificador. Su correo es [email protected] El es mi salvación con respecto a todo lo relacionado con servicio. Saludos desde Costa Rica!

Gracias Roberto por tu respuesta . I read and understand Spanish but don't write it to good .

That's OK...Please contact Dana Brown, he will guide you to trouble shoot better the problem with your Stage. Happy listening!

Update

I have been in contact via email with Scott Gribble from m.l. I told him about my problem and after troubleshooting he says that a new panel will be sent out hopefully this week. So far customer service has been great. I had initially called and left a message not thinking that I would get a fast response. We'll I missed the first call back since it was so fast. Later on I spoke to the person that called me who was very nice also(can't remember his name right now but I think it was Kirk ) and told him that I had already spoken to someone via email and that I preferred to just go ahead and handle it like that. I hope this keeps going smooth like this. If it does then I they might make me a very loyal customer because I already like the looks and sound , good service would be like the icing on the cake.

Back