My first CLS and several questions.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola. Do not forget to tell your Technician to measure the resistors at the end of the voltage multiplier. They usually are 15M value, and are five or six resistors. Their color code value are brown, green, blue and gold for 5% of tolerance. Happy listening!

He gave both units a clean bill of health. He said both are operating perfectly as they should be so the problems are with the panels. Tomorrow I'll bring him the panels so he can inspect them for breaks and separations and he wants to make sure the wires are properly connected to the diaphragm. He feels he could probably rebuild them if necessary. He's really good at whatever type speaker repairs he does for me. I'll know more tomorrow.

Hola. Do not forget to tell your Technician to measure the resistors at the end of the voltage multiplier. They usually are 15M value, and are five or six resistors. Their color code value are brown, green, blue and gold for 5% of tolerance. Happy listening!
Roberto,
I measured them myself and all were within specs.

ILKML many thanks for starting thread. The expert advice was very helpful for me.

The panels are CLS 1 type 2, same as the ones I have. I downloaded for myself very long time ago CLS 1 type 1 manual from the internet and on visual comparison the match of electronics is clear. Your electronics are of CLS 1 type 1. The panels of the CLS 1 type 1 can be seen on the Martin Logan website. They do not have vertical sections and are therefore similar in appearance to the ML Statement ESL.

You will have to request electronics expert whether CLS 1 type 1 electronics matches with CLS 1 type 2 panels. In my opinion there may be a problem.

After not using CLS for months had similar issue with my CLS 1 on reconnecting to system 3 weeks ago.
1. Had to turn volume upto -16db and still got low intensity of volume.
2. The sound was some times distorted.

My solution to the problem was partially effective.

1. I kept the CLS charged and still played music even if the dB level was very low.
After 2 weeks gradually the CLS volume level had improved substantially.

2. To reduce distortion I experimented with power cables and made sure speaker cable spades are clean.

3. I still often get distortion. May repair again integrated amplifier or may sell my once repaired amp and spend some more and buy new anthem 225 integrated.

4. Even after using repaired/new amp if the sound does not improve may change CLS panels.

Conclusion
Everything in the audio chain from cables to electronics has to be matching and in very good shape to obtain excellent acoustics from CLS 1. Even then often the sound not good and need felt to examine everything in the audio chain for cause of poor sound.

Last edited:
Hi Bernie,
Any good news?
I have just bought a set of CLS II, so I am trying to learn everything CLS...
My repair guy still has them and I haven't really bugged him about it. I actually forgot about them it's been so long and I wasn't in a hurry. I'll have to get an update from him.

Back