Upgrade my Vistas, Ethos vs Montis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobs

Reaction score
Hello there again friends...

I am considering getting rid of my Vistas (don't have a buyer yet) and grabbing a pair of Ethos or Montis new, but with a nice discount as long as I act before X-mas and don't take the free Depth i which I don't need because...

I currently have two Depth i's to supplement my Vistas.

Because of that, I am wondering if I would be better off saving the cash and going with the Ethos as they will be a nice upgrade to the Vistas considering their bass response and cross-over.

Having said that, the few grand extra for the Montis would cure my upgraditis for a loooong time.

I fear that getting the Ethos, I will always wonder about the Montis.

Thanks in advance for the opinions...

Mike

Mike,

I know you don't want to hear this, because you've got the upgraditus bug (an incurable disease!) BUT... I would think very carefully about 'upgrading' to the Ethos. I don't think this is an upgrade if you've already got the Vista speakers and 2 x subs. I'm sure you've tuned the subs to match perfectly with the Vista's to give you awesome full range sound.

If you had just the Vista's minus the subs, then I'd say 'go for it', because then the Ethos speakers by themselves would be the way to go because of the slightly larger panel and the active bass module.

But the Montis or Summit X is the best way to go. Neither speaker needs a sub, although the Montis is a little leaner sounding than the Summit X. You could sell or trade both your Vista's and the 2 subs to finance a move up to the Montis speakers. This is a move you won't regret.

Last edited:
But the Montis or Summit X is the best way to go. Neither speaker needs a sub, although the Montis is a little leaner sounding than the Summit X. You could sell or trade both your Vista's and the 2 subs to finance a move up to the Montis speakers. This is a move you won't regret.
The problem with this approach is that the best location for mains imaging isn't going to be the best location for managing modal issues in the room. While I agree that a larger ESL panel is a very good thing, I'd keep the subs, simply so that I could place them wherever in the room their combined response provides the flattest bass.

If a mains/subs crossover is used (e.g. using an AVR) using the subs will also relieve the mains woofs from very low frequency duties, improving fidelity in the upper bass.

Soooo, if you can swing it, Mike, I'd recommend Montis with both subs, provided you have some flexibility for subwoofer placement.

Totally agree unless system is used for HT purposes also.

They will be used for Home Theater also...

The problem with this approach is that the best location for mains imaging isn't going to be the best location for managing modal issues in the room. While I agree that a larger ESL panel is a very good thing, I'd keep the subs, simply so that I could place them wherever in the room their combined response provides the flattest bass.

If a mains/subs crossover is used (e.g. using an AVR) using the subs will also relieve the mains woofs from very low frequency duties, improving fidelity in the upper bass.

Soooo, if you can swing it, Mike, I'd recommend Montis with both subs, provided you have some flexibility for subwoofer placement.

I currently use an Onkyo 5009 as a pre. It only powers my surrounds. I use a Sunfire TGA-5400 to bi-amp my Vistas (Voltage to panel) and power my EM-C2. (I went with the C2 over the Motif X as I did not have the room for placement in my console (3 inches too short). Though I am happy with the C2 for what I need it for and it is much better than the Fresco I was using as a center.)

I would like to keep the subs, having said that...

I do not have the luxury of moving the subs any where in the room I would like. I currently have them placed next to each Vista, dialed in and performing great using Audyssey MultEQ XT for my home theater purposes in my 5.2 set up. But there is no question that the Vistas do not exactly have the punch that Montis or Ethos would have.

From what I am gathering, Montis is the way to go period. The wife told me I deserve them, so I am trying to let the guilt pass so I can call and get the order done. :music:

Thanks for the input fellas, as always, it is greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

Last edited:
...Soooo, if you can swing it, Mike, I'd recommend Montis with both subs, provided you have some flexibility for subwoofer placement.

I agree. If you're able to, keep the subs AND buy the Montis. :bowdown:

no need to say anything else...............Ken nailed it !

Montises were ordered yesterday and Its going to be a long week of waiting.

Thanks for helping me jump into the deeper end of the pool!

Montis have arrived and :rocker: :music: !! I will update my system page soon.

Thanks to all for the help in deciding to pull the trigger!

btw, has it been 100 hours yet!

Attachments

• 20131227_170828.jpg
    20131227_170828.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 864
  • 20131227_184242.jpg
    20131227_184242.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,009
Hi Mobs, The Montis are awesome aren't they!? couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. what color are your Montis, dark cherry or black cherrywood, perhaps?
2. your TV. Is that a Panasonic Plasma ZT60 series by chance?

thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

They are the black ash version.

The TV is last years VT50 and I am tempted to get a ZT60 before they are gone. I will miss Panny Plasma. OLED is currently our only future hope.

Finally, yes Montis is just amazing. To think that they will sound even better in a month or two is mind boggling. I am so happy to have them matched with the Depth i's as well.

Another thing to add to the experience of new speakers...

There are only so many things that are better than getting new audio equipment and reacquainting yourself to your favorite music. I only wish I had more time to do so.

The Montis are also performing wonderfully for HT. The entire experience has been such an improvement over my Vistas and I am glad I ponied up the extra coin for the Montis over the Ethos. Not that Ethos would not have been great, I just would have always wondered about the Montis.

Sweet.. Congrats!
Now if only I can do the same upgrade and add another Grotti i to my system. I'll just have to enjoy yours. :)

HI Mobs,

I envy you.. I have the same dilemma at the moment -- thinking of ethos, but wondering should I go straight to the Montis? the what if question? the difficult part is the shop do not have Montis on hand for me to listen to and compare. However, they do have two listening rooms that have Ethos set up...

Currently leaning toward Ethos as for the extra funds, I am thinking to get a new pre-amp (a number of people told me to get Tube Pre-Amp to get the most out of Ethos). I am going to use Ethos primarily to listen to music through Vinyl and SACD.

Cheers

I can't believe I'm jealous and I already own a pair of Montis speakers. Go figure...

johnny saleh, the Ethos is fine, but if you can afford it go for the Montis. You won't regret it.

Back