Lampizator!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
The Lampizator paired with the AR ref 110 into the Martin Logans is the best sound I have heard so far. Brilliant. Could hear each sooner breathing, very musical, excellent tone, and the preamp functionality in it is outstanding. Just yesterday I heard the ref 3 but don't think I need a preamp anymore. Also it saves me shelf space, interconnects, and mason cables, so I think this is going to be money well spent on a Dac.

Easily the best source I have heard. Justin thanks for the recommendation.
I guess you know Gregg at Gpoint Audio he was brilliant, highly recommended. He came in, told me to listen and judge, and gave his impression only after I was convinced by my listening. I heard the VAD, which actually looks better, and is more expensive, but preferred the lampi.

He also gave some excellent suggestions to fine tune my system more, as well as make it look better (no profit to him). Highly recommended

Which Lampi did Greg bring round i.e. what level?

The valves do make quite a difference. Not massive but it is definitely there. I recommend you get some sort of tube roller's option installed so you can change and fine tune. You don't want to be stuck with just ECC40 if it is a level 4. That's my opinion anyway. They'll do it if you ask.

I went for V-Caps but you could go for Jensen or Dueland. Just read up and make a choice, or if you are certain you liked that DAC, just order what was in it. I know good caps are important but I cannot advise which ones to get as it is a personal thing.

TBH I think a level 4 is good enough for even a really good system. I think I'd really like your setup with the 110 and the Summits.

If you liked the Lampi type sound, Audio Note DACs might be worth a try too. Anything from a 2.1 up (sweet spot in the range for the money i.e. best value is the general reckoning)... they don't sound the same but they are very nice. I only really know the 4.1 which is nice, lively and very entertaining but it is expensive.

He had got around the 5, but he said the 4 would suit with EC82 valves and Jensen - though he had bought Duelands. If they make a difference I will experiment anyway. The thing is I also liked the inbuilt lampi preamp - I won't get that with other dacs, will have to put a ref 3 in. Don't think a ref 3 is needed here. I heard the Dac 8 with a ref 3 into my Logan yesterday, and while that sounded excellent, thought this was better.

Well if you liked what you heard, I would be certain you get what you liked!!!

So level 5 with Duelands, the preamp option and the full tube roller's option or the ability to roll ECC81s and ECC82s.

They are great DACs but I can't vouch for what my DAC sounds like versus a level 5 with Duelands. So my advice, buy what you heard. The Lampi 3 was quite different to the Lampi 4 with V-Caps. A level 5 is almost definitely going to be a margin better than mine.:rocker:

Enjoy.:cool:

Here we go Kedar - level 7 plus rjs from the Wam's transport and his new Yamamoto preamp:)

Robert stayed for ages... he liked the speakers a lot. The level 7 bass is just awesome compared to a 4 - we both noticed it pretty much straight away. Punchier and tighter but less heavy than a 4. Sound is even more natural, more depth and clarity without sounding at all stressed or muddled. Just a really natural sound coming from it. Let's the music through, so to speak.

It is obviously a top notch component.

Attachments

• sdc14724-qpr.jpg
    sdc14724-qpr.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 260
Even 5 bass is much higher than 4, and 4 is muffled. 5 is way more open. So I want to compare 5 to 7, as 5 for me is currently the sweet spot. However 6 and 7 are Single ended, and Audio research only does balanced with the power amp. Have to check if putting in single ended into pre, and taking out balanced to power will work

In a sense maybe there is no sweet spot in DACs costing this much money. They are all expensive and to the average punter probably complete madness. I know when this has gone I'll still be very happy with the 4, which I still really, really like.

Passing it on this Wednesday to the next chap who'd like a listen.

Even 5 bass is much higher than 4, and 4 is muffled. 5 is way more open. So I want to compare 5 to 7, as 5 for me is currently the sweet spot. However 6 and 7 are Single ended, and Audio research only does balanced with the power amp. Have to check if putting in single ended into pre, and taking out balanced to power will work
Yes it will.

So Bernard, you think with AR preamps it is not required to keep everything balanced, I can have single in, balanced out without drop in SQ?

Kedar, it is not a requirement to keep everything balanced. Balanced is always quieter, but for short cable runs should not be a factor. I'm running 8m of single-ended cable from my preamp to my monoblocks, with no problem.

Yes but my Ref 110 power amp has to be balanced, it has no SE connection. Hence my question, if the input to the pre is SE, will there be a drop in SQ?

What are you doing Kedar?

The back of the level 7 below. Just plug that (the SE connections) into the back of your REF3, Then balanced REF3 outputs into your power amps, Will sound fine.

Attachments

• sdc14737-qpr.jpg
    sdc14737-qpr.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 248
Yes I know a sound will come out, but given AR's emphasis on balanced circuits, am wondering if SQ levels will hold

I think it'll be just fine. Balanced is just noise cancelling for long runs. Some think SE sounds better anyway. Don't worry about it. For level 7 you have no choice as you say.

I think it'll be just fine. Balanced is just noise cancelling for long runs. Some think SE sounds better anyway. Don't worry about it. For level 7 you have no choice as you say.

I agree. Don't go for a DAC other than the Lampizator just because it's balanced.

I see the lampizator is under analog..... so Justin... is it using a moving coil cartridge????? How is the 'wow & flutter'? What is this? The analog guys just trying to take credit for a good thing?? :)

Well, technically, I guess topics on DACs and ADCs should be cross-posted to both subforums. ;)

Back