Electromotion ESL and Parasound A21

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebonz

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone is using this combo and if so what are your thoughts. I just ordered the Parasound and I am just looking to see what others think. Thanks!

Hi,

I also bought a pair of Electromotion ESL and was thinking about either Parasound A23 or A21, as I think they are great value for money.
So, I would like to know what is your personal experience with the A21 and the ESLs...

I posed in the other thread about bridged A23s, but the A23 is a great amplifier. I moved from a Marantz MM7025 to an A23 and have been completely blown away by the improvement. Parasound Halo amps are direct coupled and work in Class A power for the X amount of power. The A21 works in class A for the first 10 watts, and the A23 works in class A for the first 2.75 watts. The A23 is 225 watts at 4 ohms, and should drive ESL type speakers pretty easily.

http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/Parasound_P5_Preamp_A23_Power_Amp_Review_Test_lores.pdf

Read the review above about the P5/A23 combo. You'll see the A23 puts out stable 325 watts at 2 ohms in 2 channel. Way more than enough power. The added class A power in the A21 might make for a nicer sound though. There are a few A21s (and a silver P5) I believe floating around Audiogon.

Thanks for the reply, seems that the A23 should be fine, although the A21 would be ever better...

If this helps, I had an A51 in my second system (primary home theater) with vantage speakers and the sound quality was great for music and a very good match for the vantage.

I ran an A21 for a while. Considering the price, it is excellent. I think my recently acquired Accuphase M-60 monos from 1975 are better, though, which just goes to show how little progress has really been made!

Don't let me put you off the A21 with that statement. A set of M-60s is risky due to the age factor.

BTW I found the A21 to be much more palatable with a good tube preamp. I used an EAR 868PL at the time.

Back