Aeon i. Might trade for help please!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
I have a full setup of Logan motion series.

2 motion 12s
4 motion 10s
1 motion c
2 dynamo 500s

I have been offered a trade for a pair of Aeon i in perfect condition. And also a cinema center channel.

It would be a straight up trade. I am just worried because my speakers are pretty new compared to the older models he wants to trade me.

Anyone care to help me? It's mostly for watching movies.

Also if something broke on the aeon i or the cinema can they be fixed ? Expensive to fix?

Here are a few key questions I would ask:
1. How old are the electrostatic panels on the Aeon i's? Have they ever been replaced or are they original?
- if they are original, then you may have to replace them soon, which can be a bit pricey. You can call Martin Logan and get the specific price. Same goes for the Cinema.
2. What amplification are you using? If you're powering you ML Motions with a receiver, there's a high probability that you will need to buy external amps for the Aeon and the Cinema. Both speakers present a difficult load for the vast majority of receivers. Most receivers will play of a while, but when the SPLs go up, or the impedance drops (@ higher frequencies), they will go into Protect mode. If you aren't using separates now, factor that into your costs.
3. Have you listened to electrostats - the Aeons in particular? If you have, and you fell in love with them, then you'll figure out a way to deal with Issues 1&2. If not, you may want to spend some extended time listening them and decide for yourself if the extra effort is worth it.

BTW - I love my ML Vantages, so I'm In no way down on Electrostats in general. I just wanted you to know what you're getting into, as they require a bit more than the ML Motions.

Can it be in fact that maybe my Onkyo 818 is not enough to power my motion series at high volumes?

I mean I have heard electrostatics before but not the Aeon i or the cinema center.

Right now I'm happy with my system but at high volumes my dialogue sounds low and like crap

Holiday,

If you are having issues with your AVR powering the motions, it is highly likely that the Onkyo will not be able to drive the Aeons.

If you are generally happy with your setup, why don't you look at more power to resolve the center channel issue, assuming that is what it needs?

GG

Well I don't know if power is my issue honestly.

I'm starting to think it might be.

I know if I bought the aeon I and cinema I would need a external amp. But if te sound would be superior to my setup now I would do that.

But it sounds like it won't be that big of improvement

Not so sure. Never heard the Motion series.

Has anyone on this site done a comparison between the stats and the Motion series?

Given the price difference, I would think, all things being equal, that the stat would clearly outperform the Motion's.

GG

Here is my thought. Now ill start by saying I have never heard your current setup. I have heard the aeons. Properly setup they can be magical. If you were into two channel listening I would snap them up. But if movies is your primary concern I don't think it would be worth it. And yes more amplification would be needed no doubt about that to get the best out of an aeon.

If you are still interested in them look at the Mylar. Are they real spotty or relatively clear? Is there any volume difference at all between the two speakers. If everything looks good and speaker volume is equal- that is a good sign the aeons are in good shape and well maintained.

Well the aeon I were very well taken care of. I would get a emotiva xps-5 amp to power them as well as the cinema center channel.

My question is if anyone can help. If something like a panel or power supply or anything else went wrong down the line does anyone have a ballpark around what it costs to fix things like this? Or the cinema ?

My main problem in my theater room now is dialogue i don't think my motion c can handle high volumes.

If you're really concerned about the cost of replacement parts, just give the Martin Logan Parts Department a call. They've always been a great help to me when I needed support.

BTW - Electrostats and home theater work well in my set-up. If you're like me, your subwoofer(s) will play just as big a role in your HT enjoyment as your mains. Let your ears be your guide.

Latest posts

Back